Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a set of Bilstein shocks from VB&P for my '95.

I took all four out of their boxes (they sent me the wrong set the first time).

Here's the dumb question - why can't I move 'em???

Are these suckers so stiff that a mere mortal can't compress or decompress them? I push, I pull - and its like pushing or pulling a chunk of steel!

I'd prefer to solve this little puzzle before I put them on the car and find out that there is a 'secret handshake' routine that should have been followed prior to installation!

Thanks,
Steven

PS - If this is the intended operation, I guess the car will really handle like a go kart!!

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In all the shocks I've installed, I've always been able to move the piston in and out (very slowly).

I put a set of Rancho off road shocks on my old pickup, and those were the worst - up til now!

Steven

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
OldVetteFan said:
In all the shocks I've installed, I've always been able to move the piston in and out (very slowly).

I put a set of Rancho off road shocks on my old pickup, and those were the worst - up til now!
Well may be they sent you a set of original 1984 Z51 shocks. :partyon:

Hopefully someone can give us an answer on these shocks, I just figured you wouldn't be able to move them yourself considering the necessary firmness.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Consider that the shocks are meant to dampen the oscillation caused by the springs. It is the spring that supports the weight of the vehicle. The combination of an incompressible fluid and a contolled flow rate through the passages in the shock provide the dampening force to counteract the spring.

Actually, my car is equipped with the FE1 suspension, and I was looking for a bit more firmness. After discussing my driving habits and local road conditions with Vette Brakes & Parts, they recommended the Bilstein Sport shocks, which are specified for the Z51 suspension (even though there wasn't a Z51 option in '95, it's the same as the Z51 shock offered in '96).

When I changed shocks on my '65 (a LONG time ago), I was able to move the rod in and out by hand (slowly, very slowly). This was also true of the standard shocks that I changed through the years on other cars.

I'm hoping to hear from somebody soon, though, as this is my planned project for next weekend.

Steven

·
Registered
66 Posts
OldVetteFan said:

Are these suckers so stiff that a mere mortal can't compress or decompress them? I push, I pull - and its like pushing or pulling a chunk of steel!

I'd prefer to solve this little puzzle before I put them on the car and find out that there is a 'secret handshake' routine that should have been followed prior to installation!

Thanks,
Steven

PS - If this is the intended operation, I guess the car will really handle like a go kart!!
i did change my original (4) shocks bilsteins with monroe gaz ones(black)and put the new ones attached with tie-rap and after putting everything toghether i just cut tie-raps out with cutters ... the car now handle and ride like never before and they still nice after a year 1/2 old :thumbsup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
OldVetteFan said:

Thanks,
Steven

I'd place the shock on the floor vertically and press very firmly down. It might take quite a bit to get it to compress a little, but once you get past the initial point of compression, it should get a bit easier. It won't be easy by any means. Then you can see what you're dealing with before installation. The tie strap deal is a good idea.

·
Registered
66 Posts
cheetah said:
I'd place the shock on the floor vertically and press very firmly down. It might take quite a bit to get it to compress a little, but once you get past the initial point of compression, it should get a bit easier. It won't be easy by any means. Then you can see what you're dealing with before installation. The tie strap deal is a good idea.
there you GO !!! i tell you that you will need some beers :cheers: and by the way some elbow grease too ...

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem Solved!

I have now added new knowledge to my Corvette data bank -

When you get your new Bilsteins, put them on the floor, and push them down with all your might. You will hear a little 'gurgling' sound, and then voila! the shock will move! It isn't easy, but it does. Once you get past the initial gurgling noise, then it is easier. I exercised each shock about ten strokes (full travel), and now I can skip my next workout!

I wonder if this explains some of the "ride height" change issues that have been posted in other threads. I'll take ride height measurements before and after and see if there's a difference in mine.

Thanks for all the help!

Steven

1 - 11 of 11 Posts