Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow C3'ers:

I am intending to replace my OE shocks on my 78SA, which is stock, and would like like some opinions, pros and cons, preferences etc with respect to Bilstein vs KYB shocks. Cost is not an issue.

Any and all comments etc are very welcomed.

Thanks,

mk's78 aka mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Kinda depends on what ride you're looking for.....

If you are gonna go through and redo both front and rear suspension and turn it into a more performance oriented setup the Bilsteins would be better suited.

If you are just replacing stock shocks in a stock suspension then the KYBs would more than suit your needs.

The KYBs aren't bad shocks, they are GOOD entry level replacements but the Bilsateins are better shocks and will give you ALOT firmer ride.

In the end my opinion for a stock replacement for your stock setup is the KYBs. Just make sure you get the correct ones for the steel spring. HTH......

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Kinda depends on what ride you're looking for....performance...setup the Bilsteins would be better suited.

If you are just replacing stock shocks in a stock suspension then the KYBs would more than suit your needs...
:agree:
Bilstein for performance. KYB for cruising.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
My car is mostly stock, really just a little extra hp with the zz4..and i put the kybs on my car, after a while with them on the car I think im going to be trying the bilsteins next.. I do a lot of cruising the back roads and i think the bilsteins will do a better job..

·
Registered
552 Posts
Both companies offer several models of shocks so it's probably important to identify more than brand.

However, it seems like bilstein targets firmer valving than other shock manufacturers. Doesn't matter what type of vehicle you're talking about, the enthusiast community tends to rate bilsteins as firm.

good luck with your project

·
Registered
470 Posts
If money is not an issue why not swap for a complete VBANDP performance suspension kit?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Quote from Vansteel:

Up to 330# springs should use the KYB GR-2 Shocks and 330# spring and up should use a Bilstein Sport Shock. QA1 Adjustable shocks will work well with any spring rate. QA1's are almost a must for drag racers.
This is is you go for the monoleaf

·
Banned
119 Posts
i ran back to back test..... KYB is nothing but JUNK when up agents the bilstein. This is VERY apparent with a composite spring, The KYB can not controal that spring... You will get bunny hop!:down:...... You will be doing nothing but wasting your time and money with KYB.... i did.

Bilstens Sport on all 4.... and never look back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts