Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shocks on my 82' are just about dead and I don't think I can wait til I get around to the suspension part of my rebuild . . . the ride has become just too jarring. I think I've narrowed down the contenders to Bilstein and KYB. Application is for hi-performance daily driver and occasional AutoX. Eventually, I'll be doing a lot of suspension work, but I'm hoping I can at least smooth the ride out some with some new shocks. Any advice, much appreciated.

·
Registered
468 Posts
RE: Shocks

I did the same Bilstein vs. KYB debate thing when replacing shocks on my '92 Coupe. I have the base suspension (Not Z51) and decided on the KYB's in part beause I got a great price at one of the on-line parts places (Not Vette specific vendor).

The KYB's are OK but I think they're softer, maybe a bit too soft, than the OEM Bilstein's. If I keep her long enough to do it again, I think I'd go for the Bilstein's or even the Bilstein Z51 OEM replacements. I ran her with bad shocks for a while and also wonder if I compressed the front springs a bit.

Hope you find what works for you!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I haven't had KYBs or Bilstein, but you might consider the Edelbrock IAS shocks. Nice soft ride, but going around a corner they keep the car flat and gripping. Around $90 a pop. After one ride in my car, Super390 put them on his too.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fred Mann said:
I haven't had KYBs or Bilstein, but you might consider the Edelbrock IAS shocks. Nice soft ride, but going around a corner they keep the car flat and gripping. Around $90 a pop. After one ride in my car, Super390 put them on his too.

That's what I'm looking for; something that will glide over our stunningly crappy roads here in so cal, but I sure don't want some squishy roll-polly ride either. I'll check them out, thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I wasn't sure you'd be interested because you had narrowed the choices to KYB and Bilstein. The Edelbrock site has quite a bit of information on the IAS design. The main thing about them is the way they react differently to movement in the shock caused by the road (like a bump or a pothole) and movement is the shock caused by the carl in a turn. For a road-induced input, they stay soft initially and then dampen the wheel's movement, but when the car is cornering, they stiffen up and help minimize body roll. Anyway, the website explains it better than I can.

·
Banned
244 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again; if you want the best, go with QA1's. They are much better than the junk that you are mentioning, especially if you get the double adjustable shocks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
vettezuki said:
That's what I'm looking for; something that will glide over our stunningly crappy roads here in so cal, but I sure don't want some squishy roll-polly ride either. I'll check them out, thanks. :thumbsup:
You think your roads are bad come to Western NY!:bang

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sadistic said:
I said it before and I'll say it again; if you want the best, go with QA1's. They are much better than the junk that you are mentioning, especially if you get the double adjustable shocks.

I'll check them out. I've been wondering, since my 82' has coil springs in front, I wonder if I should replace the shocks and springs with coil-overs. I do not, however, have any intention of putting coil-overs in the back. . . The other thing I was thinking was to replace the stock coil springs with a transverse monoleaf up front.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
69droptop said:
You think your roads are bad come to Western NY!:bang
I don't know man, the way I know I have crossed into Mexico is because the roads suddenly improve. I know we'll never have roads as nice as Germany and Japan, but I'm kind of hoping we can raise game to at least third world status someday :bang

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sadistic said:
The 82' has Coil Springs in front and a moneleaf in back. I was thinking of converting to VBP composite monoleaf in front (like late model Vettes.) I wonder how QA1 Coil Overs in front would perform differently than a new monoleaf ? ? ? I have no intention of converting the rear to coil over because there doesn't seem to be enough engineering/performance reason to do so. However, since I'd either be replacing the coil springs in front eventually anyway or converting to a monoleaf, I'm just wondering how coil overs up front would work in comparison to a monoleaf up front.

If anyone has changed over from coil springs up front to a monoleaf or to full coil overs, I'd be curious to know how you like it in comparison to what you had. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I meet someone last weekend that converted to the VB&P front monospring. He said the car had a beautiful smooth, smooth ride, but handled like it was on rails.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I worked on my 81's suspension, I replaced the coil springs in front and put in bilsteins, then in the rear I put in a TRW monospring and KYB shocks that were specially valved to work with the monospring. Rides very nice now.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
shocks

Sadistic said:
Can You tell me more about those? perhaps a link ? where can I find them?
Greetz
Corvieman :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CORVIEMAN said:
Greetz
http://www.qa1.net/

They're working on the site, but you can download a pdf catalog.

·
I use man gel
4,402 Posts
I just installed KYB's on mine with 550lb springs and a stock leaf out back.. havent had a chance to take any corners in it yet (no brakes) but when I let if off the jack stands the 'bounce' is practically gone :thud:

this is probably going to be a HARSH ride

·
Banned
244 Posts
CORVIEMAN said:
Greetz
I believe that I bought mine from Summit. However, your best bet is to call QA1 and get the correct part numbers for the shocks first. I bought the double adjustable shocks and they are far more expensive than bilsteins or konis. Then again, they offer much better performance and you will definitely feel the difference. I have a rear composite spring rated at 426 ft lbs. With the cheapo bilsteins, the rebound was out of control (not enough damping). The QA1's allowed me to dial in more damping to slow the rebound damping down. Compression damping is also adjustable. You can also but a single adjustable shock from QA1 for substantially less money.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sadistic said:
I believe that I bought mine from Summit. However, your best bet is to call QA1 and get the correct part numbers for the shocks first. I bought the double adjustable shocks and they are far more expensive than bilsteins or konis. Then again, they offer much better performance and you will definitely feel the difference. I have a rear composite spring rated at 426 ft lbs. With the cheapo bilsteins, the rebound was out of control (not enough damping). The QA1's allowed me to dial in more damping to slow the rebound damping down. Compression damping is also adjustable. You can also but a single adjustable shock from QA1 for substantially less money.
Ball park how much were the double adjustables? Also, out of curiousity, are the QA1s U.S. made?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts