Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I suppose it had to happen. Came out of work today and some flying rat had taken a power dump, hitting my C6 right on the top surface of the driver's door. I cleaned it off as soon as I noticed it, but the reality is it was probably in the sun like that for a couple hours. Once I got home I tried the detail spray/clay bar routine, but from certain angles I can still see what looks like a faint shadow of the original spot. Is this as good as it's going to get, or is there anything else I can try?

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
Well, I suppose it had to happen. Came out of work today and some flying rat had taken a power dump, hitting my C6 right on the top surface of the driver's door. I cleaned it off as soon as I noticed it, but the reality is it was probably in the sun like that for a couple hours. Once I got home I tried the detail spray/clay bar routine, but from certain angles I can still see what looks like a faint shadow of the original spot. Is this as good as it's going to get, or is there anything else I can try?
PepBoys carries 3M liquid Swirl Mark Remover, use a nice microfiber towel and work it back and forth with firm motion until the liquid breaks down, buff it to a nice shine, repeat if needed until you cut the stain off the clear.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I carry a microfiber towel and a bottle of detail spray with me at all times.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
PepBoys carries 3M liquid Swirl Mark Remover, use a nice microfiber towel and work it back and forth with firm motion until the liquid breaks down, buff it to a nice shine, repeat if needed until you cut the stain off the clear.:thumbsup:

Ditto...I'd do the same thing. I bought some 3M for that very same reason. Works wonders:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx guys - these little helpful hints are the reason that DC is the #1 Corvette site on the web. I'll try the Swirl Mark Remover tomorrow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a bird-eagle drop a duce on my removable top (tinted one) it sat this way for a few days (out of town) came back, cleaned off, know have spot looking like spider web. will not come off with anything.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I tried the swirl mark remover and finally another round with the claybar, and all that's left is a very faint shadow that apparently only I can see. Guess that's going to have to do . . . this car is a driver, not a garage queen, so I'll just have to get used to things like that. I'd rather drive it, clean it, and drive it some more than just sit and look at it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I had some pretty nasty bird turd marks on my hood. I hit them with Adam's SHR and PC white pad, setting #6. It took me approximately 2 minutes to completely remove them.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
You might have to get the Porter Cable out :thud:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pro help

I've been in the carwash biz for 20 years. That sh&t is acidic. you will need to wax the damaged layer off or you will always see that spot. It will be fine. It didn't sit on there for a week or anything. Good polish in front of a good wax, you'll be like new money!

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
Well, I tried the swirl mark remover and finally another round with the claybar, and all that's left is a very faint shadow that apparently only I can see. Guess that's going to have to do . . . this car is a driver, not a garage queen, so I'll just have to get used to things like that. I'd rather drive it, clean it, and drive it some more than just sit and look at it.
Ok, you can get a little more aggressive and get great results. Your local car paint supplier carries 3M Finesse It III. From AutoGeek, purchase the 3" arbor w/velcro backing pad kit, should come w/3 different foam pads too. Attach the arbor kit to your electric drill, use the Orange pad and work the 3M Finesse It III over the stain with light to medium pressure, basically cutting the stain off. The drill turns slow enough to not burn the paint, just make sure you let the 3M do the work and not to much pressure from your arms. You will have light swirl marks from the Finesse It III, thats by design. Wash the area down with water. Next, use the 3M liquid polish with a DIFFERENT pad to remove those swirl marks followed by some Adam's Butter Wax and you'll have a mirror finish. pm me with any questions.:thumbsup:

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
damb bird rats i hate them they crap all over my driveway wish you luck removing you must be pissed

·
Registered
384 Posts
Ok, you can get a little more aggressive and get great results. Your local car paint supplier carries 3M Finesse It III. From AutoGeek, purchase the 3" arbor w/velcro backing pad kit, should come w/3 different foam pads too. Attach the arbor kit to your electric drill, use the Orange pad and work the 3M Finesse It III over the stain with light to medium pressure, basically cutting the stain off. The drill turns slow enough to not burn the paint, just make sure you let the 3M do the work and not to much pressure from your arms. You will have light swirl marks from the Finesse It III, thats by design. Wash the area down with water. Next, use the 3M liquid polish with a DIFFERENT pad to remove those swirl marks followed by some Adam's Butter Wax and you'll have a mirror finish. pm me with any questions.:thumbsup:
Very good advice:thumbsup: A mild rubbing compound can do wonders:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a spray bottle filled with water and baking soda (neutralizes acid) that I carry with me. If you hit the bird sh!t with it as soon as you see it, let it sit for a few minutes to rehydrate, virtually all of the stuff will come off with a gentle wipe.

At home I use very warm water and baking soda as a pre-wash treatment for all bird droppings that I did not get before. I hit them up several times before washing to reduce scratches that occur because of the finely ground stones that end up in a bird's gullet. They don't have any teeth so they take in all kinds of crap and let their stomach do the work.

If the bird crap has etched your clear coat, you'll have to get into it a bit and then polish it out. Should come out good as new.

It's a never ending battle with the flying rats. :smack

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
we are all gods children GOD doesnt discriminate i understand you bro dam flying rats always crapping on your vehicle just as you complete washing and waxing but as they say shi_ happens:laughing:

·
Registered
2 Posts
we are all gods children GOD doesnt discriminate i :
One god's perfection is another man's pest!::cheers: If only the birds had low flow toilets or maybe some pampers. :laughing:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts