Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha everyone,
i am going to put the LED bulbs in the rear of my car.While i was back there looking at the car,i was wondering how it would look with the "black-outs" on the rear with those chrome louvers on top of that.Anyone ever see that combo before?If so,what was your opinion?Thanks for any replys.:buhbye:

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
I was thinking of getting the black-outs but after driving behind a vette with them I decide it wasn't for me. The black-outs on the rear tail-lights really block the view when you hit the brakes. I figure not getting hit was better then putting them on.

:cheers:

·
Registered
90 Posts
A friend of mine has them on his '99 Red vette & I think they are very dangerous .. when he puts his brakes on it is very hard to see his brake lights ...

:buhbye: :down:

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
My dad has them and they are awesome. There are a set that are very dark but BLM knows someone that made them himself and my dad ordered a set and when you hit the brake...you cant even tell there are black outs on! If you want blackouts...try and get a hold of BLM!

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
5Point7Liter said:
My dad has them and they are awesome. There are a set that are very dark but BLM knows someone that made them himself and my dad ordered a set and when you hit the brake...you cant even tell there are black outs on! If you want blackouts...try and get a hold of BLM!
does he have LED bulbs?.I'm hoping that the 3 times brighter LED bulb will compinsate for the black-outs,and these are the louvers i want to put over the black-outs.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,563 Posts
If I had a dral car, I'd have blackouts but I saw them on a red C-5 and didn't care for them on red. Looked kind of funny

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
I like blackouts on black cars.... although I'd never get them because I have no time to deal with a situation arising from a rear-end collision.

But, they look cool at car shows!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya,i'm affraid i'm going to get harassed also...:rolleyes:
i'm also affraid that the louvers will look "cheesey",without the black-outs.:rolleyes: well,you guys talked me out of the black-outs,i will think about the louvers.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I don't know what kind of blackouts you guys have seen, I have them on my car and my son, raidmagic, has them on his. When the lights are on or you step on the brake, you can hardly tell there are blackouts on the car. I almost did'nt get them for the same reason, but when I saw how easily the light shines through them, I went ahead and got them.

By the way hawaii, I think that combo looks great, I've seen it on a number of cars. :)

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmmm,
Now i'm leaning the other way.......

·
Registered
33 Posts
the billet frames are cool but pretty pricey for what they are, I have read they dont fit very weel as the lense is curved and the frame is flat,, dont know if all are like that,, i suppose tightening them would draw them down,,,,the blackout I have seen are cheezy,,,the cling on stuff is cheezy,, I have built many street rods and the slit small tailights the hight tech cars use ARE not safe for highway use,, you just cant see a mall light in high light situations,, If you ever get in a accident,, you could be blamed,,,,check the laws,, I do like them on a black car,, red,, not so good,,,,not so sure about the frames,, kinda bling/bling for a vette,,,,,,hmmmm,, to each his own,,,if you like it,,do it,,,,,,

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure i do like it,i think it would look good with the louver over the black-out,but either one by it self,i'm not so sure.I think i will pass,you right about black-outs,most states will find you liable and insurance will not pay anything if you have them on in a wreck,even if it has nothing to do with the rear.:surprised thanks everyone.:buhbye:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hawaii-
I don’t know if you are still interested in getting Louvers, but I bought mine from a guy on ebay for around $100. He had about 20 sets when I bought mine a year ago. They are brand-new and in perfect condition. Here is the sellers ebay ID if you want to check and see if he has anymore---

vetteman62

I also wasn’t too sure how good they would look on the vette, and there was no way I was spending $300-$350 for something I wasn’t sure I was going to use.

I put them on and wasn’t too sure if I liked them. I took them off after a month but I realized that they really looked good on. Put them back on and had them on ever since.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool..they do look pretty good on your car.thats a good idea about e-bay.
did they fit flush with the lens?i'm affraid if i tighten then to bend and fit,i might crack/scratch-up the lens.I would love to black them out,then put the louvers on,but the cops are pretty cool about the car being slammed and loud,with no front plate,so i not going to push my luck with the black-outs.
my windows are almost black thought.:laughing:
Thanks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I was really nervous putting the Louvers on because I thought I would scratch the lens and paint around the taillights also. At first I thought that they were not going to fit flush with the lens. But I screwed in each side a little at time and the Louvers fit in perfectly flush with the lens. It is really amazing how perfect they fit. I even took them back off to make sure I didn’t scratch up the lens or the paint and nothing, perfect.

I think the blackouts and Louvers would look good together, but your right, all those mods might get you a ticket.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
louvers look pretty good,,I suppose if you could get them for the c-note,, not too bad,, new from a catalog,, way to high,,,,I have an idae,, have then black powder coated,, shiny black with red lense showing through....hmmmm might look good and be different....you car looks good lowered and black...sinister,,,,

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
wrustywrench said:
louvers look pretty good,,I suppose if you could get them for the c-note,, not too bad,, new from a catalog,, way to high,,,,I have an idae,, have then black powder coated,, shiny black with red lense showing through....hmmmm might look good and be different....you car looks good lowered and black...sinister,,,,
thats not a bad idea,maybe i can color one with a black magic marker and set it inside and check it out.i will probably try to get the louver like the one pictured but with a straight bar with no logo.i found this.but i just like the single bar.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would skip the idea on the black outs for sure.
Paint the louvers black...Would look awesome.
My F150 was black..with black on black on black(no chrome at all) looked great.
I love Black with all black add ons.The tail lights being natural would break it up a liitle and help inhanse the look of the rear..your coice of louvers painted black would look cool and be different.:partyon:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Funny,i was just looking at the black louvers in the photo,and i'm not sure i like them.I was really liking the idea of polished aluminum over the black-outs,but i just can't push my luck,hawaii has no emissions,but weird stuff like,no shaved door handles(damn),no stickers other than saftey inspection,anal about tint ,and front plates.I'm guilty on all but the saftey sticker,and they don't harrass me.So i'll leave it alone.Can't wait for the nitrous though.:excited:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts