Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had Bosh platinum plugs installed and a new wire set. I also added a new high flow air filter. While driving today, car felt sluggish again and when I got on it, a black cloud of smoke came out. When I filled up my tank with gas, my car could not go past 10mph. I pinned it and it would not go anywhere. I pulled into a parking spot and reved the engine. Black smoke kept coming out. This happens a lot after I get gas. When I came out of the store it was running better. What can be causing this? I told my mechanic and he thinks it is a fuel issue (the car is getting too much). Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. It happens spiractically, but when it does it is scary! I think the bulb is out on the computer and that is why nothing is showing up. I am bringing it to him on Thursday night.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Black smoke is caused by excess fuel in the cylinder not burning completely. Did you do the wires yourself? If so, check to make sure none of the wires got crossed up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, my mechanic did the wires. And, the reason I had him change the wires was because the car was not running well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know, he replaced them. This should be throwing up some codes even though I think the bulb is out, right? I am thinking if he pulls the codes he should see something.

·
Registered
230 Posts
some where else to look could be at the injectors. if a fiew of them are hanging open from dirty gas or built up deposits, then extra fuel could be dumping in a fiew cylinders causing the rich burn contition

I use lucas fuel injector cleaner in my gas every 4th fill up

maby you could try some. definately hope you get it figured out.
does any one have a picture of the plug wire routing and where they go?
so we can rule that out?

·
Banned
68 Posts
I used the Bosch +4 plugs because I thought 3 extra electrodes would make it better but it idled rough so I went with AC delco plugs and it ran fine. Not your problem but I was just making the point that the ones I got were crap.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I drove it today and it ran fine, however, I know the problem is still there. I think the key questions are the following: Why does it not happen all of the time? and Why does it seem to happen a lot when I get gas?

I noticed when I got gas yesterday that there was a lot of air coming out when the tank was opened. I also noticed a strange sound when I popped the hood (like air coming out of something).

I am going to bring it to my mechanic Thursday and will let you know what happens. :huh:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't know, he replaced them. This should be throwing up some codes even though I think the bulb is out, right? I am thinking if he pulls the codes he should see something.
When you turn your keyswitch on the the lights on your panel should illuminate before you start the car. Take a look and see If your check engine light comes on along with other lights. If it does the bulb is ok. Check your throttle body for carbon build up. If the problem is sensor related you would have thrown a code and your check engine light would stay on after initial self test.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The light does not come on, so I guess I need the bulb replaced. I was told that it sounds like the fuel pressure regulator has gone bad. I am going to get that replaced and see what happens.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is what happened:

He pulled the codes and they said the car was running lean (also said MIL). He found that the PCV hose had a hole in it, so he replaced it. He cleared all of the codes and told me to drive it and see what happens. He also replaced the service light bulb because it was dead. After a few miles, the service light came on. He told me to drive it for a day and see what happens. The car feels fine, but he said the black smoke could have covered a few things and I might need to "blow it out."

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pulled codes today and it just had one: P300 (cylinder missfire). I had the fuel regulator replaced and I am brining it back next week to check the fuel injectors for a leak because the light came on again. He said it is either that or the computer. I hope it is not the computer...:huh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts