Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a blackout kit from MidAmerica. It is ok and the quality is fine, they are just not what I had in mind:thud: . The taillight lenses have a bracket that sets a removable lens ~ an inch or so off the factory lenses and attatches with velcro. The front attatches with velcro over the factory lenses. My last C4 had actual tinted lenses that REPLACED the factory taillight lenses. I did not realize the kit from Mid America was OVER the factory lenses. Any suggestions where to find the actual tinted replacement lenses?

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
A friend of mine just went through this and couldn't find anything like that so he drilled holes and used the factory mounting locations with longer screws and bolted them on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A friend of mine just went through this and couldn't find anything like that so he drilled holes and used the factory mounting locations with longer screws and bolted them on.
I appreciate the input. I guess it is like everything else, vendors seem to be letting C4 inventory run down and concentrating on the newer, C5 & C6, accessories. I am going to keep searching though, the tinted replacement lenses just looked a lot better ... at least to me. Maybe someone will sell me a set from a Corvette that they don't want dark lenses on any longer.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Bought mine at Ecklers. They're the acrylic kind. The rears simply push on over the existing lenses and are held on by the friction between the lens and a rubber seal that is provided. They've been on for almost two years without a problem.

The front acrylic lens is held on by Velcro. I don't like the way it looks so I took them off and will be painting them with a tint type paint.

:partyon:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, :thumbsup: I will check out Ecklers monday. If you don't mind passing on what the front ones look like when you do them, I would appreciate a look.

·
Registered
1987 Z51 Coupe and 2015 Z06/Z07 Coupe
746 Posts
Could you not buy a couple square feet of window tint and apply it yourself? It'd probably look even cleaner than lenses.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had not thought of that.

Could you not buy a couple square feet of window tint and apply it yourself? It'd probably look even cleaner than lenses.
Now there's an idea, I have an old lens to practice on. I'm not sure about this but it is definitely worth trying. I'm just not sure about the heat from the bulb and what effect that it might have ... but only one way to find out, trying it.

·
Registered
1987 Z51 Coupe and 2015 Z06/Z07 Coupe
746 Posts
Its worth a shot. I'd probabaly roll it over the edges of the lenses if you can to tuck it in cleanly. I've never taken a late C4 lens assembly apart, not sure what it looks like. If the tint can handle the summer sun then I think it can handle a 15W bulb. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its worth a shot. I'd probabaly roll it over the edges of the lenses if you can to tuck it in cleanly. I've never taken a late C4 lens assembly apart, not sure what it looks like. If the tint can handle the summer sun then I think it can handle a 15W bulb. :)
I will post back ~Monday night and let you know how it turned out. And I guess I was just overthinking the heat factor but of course you are right.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
If you're worried about the heat, this is a good opportunity to do an LED conversion, no?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're worried about the heat, this is a good opportunity to do an LED conversion, no?
I did contact a vender here about that:lookinup: . I found him talking about a new offering called something like "black cherry halo" L E D's in the C6 section. I asked if they offered them for C4s but I have not heard back yet. I assume with the holiday weekend, it might be middle of the week before I hear back.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
As of right now, the Black-Cherry Halos are not available for C4's and I was told that they probably won't be.

As far as window tinting the lenses, The tint would need to be on the INSIDE of the lens thus negating the black-out look and the surface is nowhere smooth enough. If you install the tint on the outside surface, it would be subject to the weather as well as washings. I don't think that the tint is that durable.

But, it doesn't hurt to try. Somebody has to be a guinea pig!:devil:

BTW, I have done the LED conversion from Crystal-Eyes. They look REALLY COOL! However, there is an issue with the lights not blinking if the parking or headlights are on. I've tried in stalling load equalizers, even though I shouldn't need them, and they still don't work. I'm waiting for a solution from the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
The kit DID have a flasher unit included, which I did install first. But now that you mention it, I'm not sure if the unit is an electronic type or if was just a new flasher. The new one does look different in that it has a clear or amber colored cover, where the original on e had a stamped metal one. Other than that, the are the same size, shape etc.

How would I be able to double check that the flasher is, in fact, electronic?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does the new flasher have a part number on it?

It probably is an electronic unit. The advantage of an electronic unit is that it is not load dependent. In other words it should flash the same if it has one bulb or several bulbs in the circuit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As of right now, the Black-Cherry Halos are not available for C4's and I was told that they probably won't be.

As far as window tinting the lenses, The tint would need to be on the INSIDE of the lens thus negating the black-out look and the surface is nowhere smooth enough. If you install the tint on the outside surface, it would be subject to the weather as well as washings. I don't think that the tint is that durable.

But, it doesn't hurt to try. Somebody has to be a guinea pig!:devil:

BTW, I have done the LED conversion from Crystal-Eyes. They look REALLY COOL! However, there is an issue with the lights not blinking if the parking or headlights are on. I've tried in stalling load equalizers, even though I shouldn't need them, and they still don't work. I'm waiting for a solution from the manufacturer.
Ok, you are right. I picked up some tint this A.M. at a friends shop, got it home and it is definitely not going to give me the look I was hoping for:WTF . I may be going with the Ecklers set up but I am still hoping to find the repacement lenses. I know I have seen them and even had a set a few years back. Thanks for the info on the "Halo's", I guess that is why they have not bothered getting back to me.
:buhbye:

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
You can always go with the spray on tint, if you take your time in and do it in layers, it will come out very nice.:thumbsup: If you want to get raped, you can always go with the Co. that makes the Cherry Halos, don't expect them to be around to long with their pricing expectations though, they're ****ing nuts imo.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can always go with the spray on tint, if you take your time in and do it in layers, it will come out very nice.:thumbsup: If QUOTE]

Ok, I'm Game. Where do I find spray on tint? Is it a Wal mart or Autozone kind of thing or is there a better source? :huh:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
NiteShades spray tint is available at most parts stores and works well, especially if you get it clear coated. I have the Mid America kit, and was also kind of disappointed. I used the front but not the rear.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have the mid america kit on the front. I like it alot!

I used Nightshade spray tint for the back. Tell me what you guys think?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts