Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any dyno or e/t times with there new blackwing air cleaner. I am interested in this air filter setup. My friend told me this is the only one to get and it will pickup about 15 rwhp. Is this correct? Does anyone have any dyno numbers with and without the blackwing? Also, e/ts? Please reply. Thanks again.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
15 rwhp seems a bit high....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Maybe 15 hp to the fly, 15whp does seem high. i have one and you can definiatly feel the difference. You might want to look at the Huricane air intake system, it has the Blackwing filter plus a "lid" cover so that its forced to suck air from the bottom. That will help get you air intake temp. down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i installed one a couple of months ago and it rocks:partyon: partyon:

i have no dyno numbers, but seat of pants is pretty sweet. although, 15 rear wheel may be a bit of a stretch.

anyway, i definitely recommend it...enjoy:cheers:

later,

tom:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. I will dyno my car without and than with the blackwing filter within a few weeks. I will let you guys know what i pickup for RWHP.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FWIW in the corvette forum mall you can pick up a vortex intake for $225.... and its a cold air intake as opposed to just a filter. Supposedly it get 22+ RWHP.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm having the Donaldson Blackwing air intake installed tomorrow. The car will be dynoed before and after. I will share the results with the forum when I get back. The car already has the Magnaflow X-pipe and Borla Stinger Quad exhaust system. I'm hoping for an increase of 10 RWHP.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
i installed the Halltech T-1,it knocked .2 off my 1/4 mile and added 2 mph,
not trying to be a smart-butt,but dyno's don't win races.the hundred bucks that it costs goes to my next mod.......:smokin:

·
Registered
31 Posts
The dyno isn't really to test the performance value of the Blackwing, rather its to establish a "performance" baseline with the mods I've added since purchasing the car and since I don't plan to add anything else for awhile since its a 2004 and don't want to risk warranty coverage since I have yet to bring my car in to a dealership for service and etc. You're right - get your mods - get it dynoed once and enjoy (until your next significant upgrade, i.e., H/C, supercharger and etc.). Save your $$ for more mods. Mike

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
makes sense to me.since you guys are paying,i would love to see the dyno numbers.
i will guess the blackwing alone is 7 rwhp.you still have the restrictive air-bridge and accordian,the halltech,goes from the throttle body to the filter.i think thats were i picked up my mph.
how does the exhaust sound,you like it?...:smokin:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just returned from BSM Performance after having them dyno the car before the install of the Blackwing and afterward (no extra charge). We did in fact realize a 15 RWHP increase based on the installation of the Blackwing! So if that's what Donaldson is advertising - then it holds true.
:cheers:
While driving the car home it felt like it wanted to fly - real SOTP improvement. The Borla Quad Stingers + Magnaflow X-pipe + Donaldson Blackwing = 25 solid RWHP increase at the dyno!

The C5 really sounds awesome - similar to a Indy F1 series race car. My wife really enjoys the more aggressive yet smooth sound! Puts a smile on both our faces and turns a lot of heads.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
wow,
i'm suprised you got on the dyno-it's pro-gas weekend.did you see any of the F-bodys?theres a couple 10 second firehawks that tune there.i'm very impressed with the exhaust numbers actually.i'm wondering also if the filter would have made those numbers with a stock exhaust on the car.probably 10 for sure though.
oh ya,whats the total horsepower of the car now?
Bodie tunes my friends 30th anniversary trans-am.he still can't beat me at the track or on the highway,he has a 6-speed and fully tuned QA-1 suspension too.Hawaiian Punch has seen us race about 15 times,maybe next month you can meet us at the track,actually the middle of Nov.i have not been for a while now.i'm glad to see you changed your mind to the Borla's,now i want to hear the car. :thumbsup:.... :smokin:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bodie and Brian arrived at the shop at 10:30am and I was waiting there at 10:00am. Brian drove his Mustang GT out from the dyno bay and Bodie showed up a few minutes later in his Camaro SS (both run in the mid-10s). They immediately pulled my car in and began work. I found Brian and Bodie to be professionals that are careful, meticulous, willing to answer questions, knowledgeable and provide quality work at a reasonable cost. Thanks for referring them to me!

I plan to go back and have them install a 178 degree thermostat and fan controller, and NGK TR55IX Iridium spark plugs with Taylor Fire sleeves.

I learned from the dyno that the stock OEM plugs are unsatisfactory which led to erradict firing at high rpms either due to inconsistent gapping or poor quality of the plugs (you couldn't hear it, but the computer showed it). The poor performance of OEM plugs are a common theme found in this and other forums.

C5 owners: Replace your spark plugs! If you've had your car dynoed or recently inspected your plugs - you know what I'm talking about.

I don't plan to take my car to the strip this year - rather I expect to watch, learn and discuss performance issues.

Mike

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Hey Mike,
your absolutly right about the plugs,even brand new stock one's are un-sat.
Ya Bodie's pretty cool,he's always at the track to see his cars (team) run.when i first meet him,he said "i will make room on the dyno for your car".i'm sure he would like to get a couple C5s running with his crew,but i don't have the cash to do what i want right now,supercharger,E.T. streets,shocks....oh the list is long,:laughing:and then i had to see the chop-top C5.i'm in love,but maybe they can't do a coupe.
you can still come to the track and meet me and Hawaiin Punch,race or not.don't forget your helmet. :D
wait until you see the 13 second astro-van (all-wheel drive):laughing:
doesn't Bodie look like Dale Erhnhart's brother.:laughing:
later Mike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spark plug question? Dyno showed it?

We were dynoing a 2000 z06 today. And at 5400 rpm the power dropped and than came back around 5800 rpm. We could not figure it out. We have two c5's doing this on the dyno. I read you guys talking about spark plugs. Is this the problem? And what spark plugs and gap do you guys run? Thanks.

Mike M.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mike,

That is basically what I experienced at the dyno with my new C5. The curve is jagged rather than being relatively smooth and as the hp/tq increased with rpm, there were momentary drops at around 4200 rpm and 4500 and then came back through 5800.

The technicians both believed it was due to the stock spark plugs as they had seen similar results before on other cars (F-bodies) with LS-1/LT-1 GM engines due to inconsistent gaps or the pucks having come off resulting in a larger gap than recommended by the factory. I have MSD 8.5mm plug wires so we eliminated the possibility that the OEM wires were to blame.

Unfortunately, the .jpg image of my dyno results that they provided me does not come up all the way, otherwise, I would post it. I will go back and see if they saved my dyno results in their computer and request another image file.

I purchased the NGK Iridiums NGK TR55IX Part # 7164 and will gap them to factory specs. I believe they come in the box gapped at .050, however, customers that have ordered them have seen gaps between .050 to .056. NOTE: I read you need to be careful when gapping the Iridiums. I will have BSM dyno my car after the new plugs to check the results as they offered to give me a special deal ($70).

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have another 2001 corvette, with a procharger that we installed. This procharged car does the same thing. We changed the plugs and gapped them down. And right at 5400 it drops in power and than comes back around 5800. Its the same problem that we are having with the other 2000 zo6. The z06 isn't procharged. But they both have the same problem. I am not sure witch spark plugs we installed on the procharged car. We are also building another 2003 zo6 with a procharger. And this car we just dynoed at 502 rwhp, and it didn't do it at all. The only problem with this one is the a/f goes lean up top. So we are waiting for superchips on monday to make us a better program.

Mike

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Pull the plugs out of the 03 Z06 with the blower that doesn't have the power dip, and install them in one of the cars that does. Be interesting to see if that helps....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not sure the following factors impact on the resulting dyno analysis, however, I heard that if you're adding a supercharger or making significant modifications to either the C5 or Z06, its wise to use the Iridium plugs vs. copper or platinum, and that the gap specs for the plugs may vary by year or whether its a C5 (LS-1) or Z06 (LS-6) - recommend following specs to that year/model.

I'm not a "spark plug expert", however, the lead tech at BSM stated that Superchargers and Platinum plugss don't mix well <I need to do more research on this just so I understand why...>

One last thing is that minor bolt-on mods, i.e., catback, x-pipe and air intake and etc. don't require an LS-1 Edit because the computer can easily re-learn and adjust to those improvements. However, a supercharged or more heavily modified vette will require the LS-1 Edit which may have a positive impact on these unusual dyno results.

I'm curious to hear what experienced GM master mechanics and sponsor tuners on this forum say about this situation. Just my $.02

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
I'm no expert,i do scan my car at least once a week,i have corvette and LS1 fuel-injection books for refrences.I scanned when it was stock,and as i made my mods.As i added the halltech intake,and ported throttle body,everything was still ok.i gutted the cats(with o2 simms) and free flow muffers,everything still ok.a little on the lean side.the computer did adjust.how ever the computer goes into "open-loop" at wide open throttle.the computer has settings for wide open throttle that do not relearn,those have to be re-programmed by a "TECH-2" or LS1 edit.
the relearn your refering to is for 80% throttle or less,81% or more is open loop.they are correct about your set-up,but if you but headers on that monster you will definatly need to tune.
the scanner i use reads about 100 different peramitters.i know exactly what my car is doing all the time,i'm still a hair on the lean.the computer can not learn that.but like i said earlier,that's only at W.O.T.normal driving,the computer compinsates.i hope that makes sense.it's hard to compress this in a post.
bottom line,W.O.T. computer setting's do not re-learn,there is a window of mods you can do before tunning(intake,after-cat exhaust)hope that makes some sense.i have never tried tunning,yet,you can use LS1 edit yourself without a dyno,but you really have to know what your doing,and lots of driving,with the lap-top on the passenger seat.:laughing: .........:smokin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts