Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"DUBLIN – Protesters hurled shoes and eggs Saturday at Tony Blair who held the first public signing of his memoir amid high security in Ireland's capital. Hundreds more people lined up to have their books autographed — evidence that the divisions left by Blair's decade as British leader have yet to heal.

Blair's new book, "A Journey," is a best-seller, but it has angered opponents of his policies, especially the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

About 200 demonstrators chanted that Blair had "blood on his hands" as the former prime minister arrived at a Dublin bookstore. Shoes, eggs and other projectiles were thrown toward Blair as he emerged from a car, but did not hit him. A flip-flop could be seen lying on the roof of a BMW in Blair's motorcade.

Security was tight, with book buyers — who appeared to outnumber the protesters by about two to one — told to hand over bags and mobile phones before entering Eason's bookstore on O'Connell Street, Dublin's main shopping thoroughfare.

There were scuffles between police and demonstrators when some tried to force their way through the security cordon. Two protesters were bundled into the back of a security van. Several demonstrators, including one wheelchair user, laid themselves in the van's path, and riot police were brought in to remove them.

Police said four men were arrested and charged with public order offenses.

Blair spent about two hours in the store before emerging to more shouts, boos and hurled eggs. He was quickly driven away, as a police helicopter circled overhead.

"Blair took the world to war in Iraq and Afghanistan on the basis of lies," protester Donal MacFhearraigh said. He said Blair should be indicted as a war criminal.

Another protester, 24-year-old Kate O'Sullivan, said she was taken away by security guards after approaching Blair in the store and trying to perform a citizen's arrest.

Confrontation erupted again once Blair had left, as police stopped demonstrators from entering the bookstore. Many of the demonstrators then marched to the police station where those arrested were being held to continue their protest there.

Despite the protests, Blair is popular with many in Ireland for his role in forging the 1998 Good Friday peace accord in Northern Ireland, and several hundred people lined up in the rain to have their copies of "A Journey" autographed.

"I appreciate what he did for Irish politics, particularly along the border. That's why I've come," retiree Maureen Hedderman told the Press Association news agency.

Released this week, "A Journey" is Amazon's best-selling title in Britain, and has climbed into the top 10 on the online retailer's U.S. chart.

Blair was paid a 4 million pound ($7 million) advance for the memoir, which mounts a strong defense of his policies during his years as prime minister from 1997 to 2007, including the invasion of Iraq.

Blair says in the book that he is not sorry for his decision to enter the U.S.-led war, although he has wept for its victims. He is donating all proceeds from the book to a charity for wounded troops.

In an interview aired Saturday, Blair rejected claims that the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan had increased Muslim radicalization, saying "wicked and backward-looking" radical Islam is the greatest threat to global security.

Blair told the BBC World Service "the biggest threat in international security is this broader radicalized movement, because I think it is rather similar to revolutionary communism."

He said al-Qaida-linked extremism was "loosely a global ideological movement, but Iran is a state sponsor of it."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_irela...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDc2hvZXNlZ2dzaHVy

:thumbsup:

Sad he had to get his career runied by the lies from our Intel and Cheney.

Him and Valerie Plame should get club jackets.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Sad he had to get his career runied by the lies from our Intel and Cheney.

Him and Valerie Plame should get club jackets.
Britain has their own intelligence network - and that intelligence network warned Blair.

"Military action was now seen as inevitable," said the notes, summarizing a report by Richard Dearlove, then head of MI6, British intelligence, who had just returned from consultations in Washington along with other senior British officials. Dearlove went on, "Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD [weapons of mass destruction]. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/12/AR2005051201857.html

This is old news, and your conclusion isn't supported by any facts whatsoever - it's simply a reflection of your own prejudices. Tony Blair made a decision about what to commit to - for you to blame it on Cheney simply exposes your irrational hatred for anything Bush/Cheney.

With respect to Plame, it was Richard Armitage, the #2 diplomat at the State Department, who admitted that he told Robert Novak about her. Your attempt to link that to Cheney is pretty pathetic - but it yet again demonstrates your Bush Derangement Syndrome.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/07/eveningnews/main1981433.shtml

Steven

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Britain has their own intelligence network - and that intelligence network warned Blair.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/12/AR2005051201857.html

This is old news, and your conclusion isn't supported by any facts whatsoever - it's simply a reflection of your own prejudices. Tony Blair made a decision about what to commit to - for you to blame it on Cheney simply exposes your irrational hatred for anything Bush/Cheney.
I never mentioned Bush because I do blame Cheney.

No hate for Bush here.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
This is old news, and your conclusion isn't supported by any facts whatsoever

Yeah, but it's still fun to pass off verbose opinons as solid fact when blinded by hatred passed on by those who pretend to know the facts.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blair's people reflect the same take as most americans and the general world view....

We were lied to.

Old news?

Sure.

Blair's own people still mad, with memory and egging him today, not quick to forget, and filled with regret?

For sure.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Blair's people reflect the same take as most americans and the general world view....

We were lied to.

Old news?

Sure.

Blair's own people still mad, with memory and egging him today, not quick to forget, and filled with regret?

For sure.
So both British Intel and U.S. Intel lied to get us into war??? :crazy:

I guess Clinton's Intel lied too? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Democrats were all about WMD's and Iraq when it was popular... even back when President Bush Sr. pulled out of Iraq.
Look here - if you all intend to do is bring up inconvenient facts about democrats, then I'll have no choice but to lock this thread. :laughing:

The mantra is supposed to be that all intellligence until Bush II was accurate, timely, and the result of both electronic intel as well as human intel. All intelligence between Bush II and Obama is supposed to be regarded as either blatant lies or the result of political pressure from the White House.

Keep it straight - OK??

:rolling:

Steven

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Democrats were all about WMD's and Iraq when it was popular... even back when President Bush Sr. pulled out of Iraq.
Not me.

I knew Iraq was faking a nuke weapons program back then, and in 01.

It was a bluff to monger fear among it's neighbors.

Either way, the end sum was wrong.

Kudos for Blair's people reminding him of it.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Not me.

I knew Iraq was faking a nuke weapons program back then, and in 01.

It was a bluff to monger fear among it's neighbors.

Either way, the end sum was wrong.

Kudos for Blair's people reminding him of it.
You KNEW? How did you know? What evidence did you have? You had better evidence than the rest of the world?

You may have THOUGHT, SURMISED, ASSUMED, SPECULATED, or even GUESSED, but I hardly think you KNEW.

If you have that kind of intelligence at your command, then you need to be running the CIA, not giving us your opinions on a Corvette forum.

Steven

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
My opinion has not changed. It was a serious strategic error to invade Iraq before we finished the task with Al Qaeda and Bin Laden. IMO, invading Iraq cost us in the "war on terror" and was not a benefit to our objective of avenging the terrorist attack on the US.

IMO, Bush was a poor President who made several bad decisions that negatively impacted the country.

Also IMO, Obama has made bad decisions that are negatively impacting the country.

Let's be more careful with our next choice.:thumbsup:

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
My opinion has not changed. It was a serious strategic error to invade Iraq before we finished the task with Al Qaeda and Bin Laden. IMO, invading Iraq cost us in the "war on terror" and was not a benefit to our objective of avenging the terrorist attack on the US.
:agree:
I was almost like, "Whaaat?" when I saw the 'Shock and Awe' thing. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think the timing was bad. I almost think that GWB had beend 'nudged' into it by his father. So many times GHB told us how he hated Saddam.

Also Iraq was, in a way, keeping the lid on Iran. Iran had to keep it's focus on Iraq.
IMO, Bush was a President who made several bad decisions that negatively impacted the country.

Also IMO, Obama is now the President, who has made bad decisions that are negatively impacting the country.
Changed it. JMHO. :cheers:
Let's be more careful with our next choice.:thumbsup:

:cheers:
:agree:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
You KNEW? How did you know? What evidence did you have? You had better evidence than the rest of the world?

You may have THOUGHT, SURMISED, ASSUMED, SPECULATED, or even GUESSED, but I hardly think you KNEW.

If you have that kind of intelligence at your command, then you need to be running the CIA, not giving us your opinions on a Corvette forum.

Steven
:smack:smack:smack

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Evidently....

Bush must be the rare Texan that never played Poker.
Really? Since when do 'feelings' equate to evidence?
Feelings generate opinions. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one. What makes yours special?

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really? Since when do 'feelings' equate to evidence?
Feelings generate opinions. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one. What makes yours special?
Evidently, Evidence was also lacking.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Evidently, Evidence was also lacking.:thumbsup:
Evidence, which you were not privy to, was not lacking. It was later proved to be inaccurate, but not completely.

Part of the reason we went in was because Iraq had plans for WMD's. A big factor which has been conveniently swept under the carpet by the 'left-wing' nutball media to discredit Bush.

If you want to talk about the truth, talk about the whole truth, not just the convenient parts. That leads to 'partial-truths' and rampant speculation, no?

Let me ask the question then...
What IS the truth according to your partisan views?

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
How many times have shown you and others that their WERE WMD's found in Iraq ?

Repeating the lie over and over again... does no make it a truth.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
How many times have shown you and others that their WERE WMD's found in Iraq ?

Repeating the lie over and over again... does no make it a truth.
But but those don't count because they were old and not the ones they were looking for.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts