Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off-again/on-again super-Corvette is definitely on, GM performance cars chief says

AutoWeek | Published 05/01/06, 2:38 pm et

That off-again/on-again super-Corvette is definitely on, according to General Motors performance cars chief Tom Wallace.

Wallace, who replaced recently retired Corvette chief engineer Dave Hill, tells AutoWeek the biggest challenge facing the so-called Blue Devil Corvette is figuring out how to get 600 hp to the ground in such a way that it can be handled by a driver with the money to buy the car.

Wallace said GM is considering requiring that Blue Devil—and even Z06—buyers attend a driver school as part of the price of admission.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
poudre said:
Off-again/on-again super-Corvette is definitely on, GM performance cars chief says

AutoWeek | Published 05/01/06, 2:38 pm et

That off-again/on-again super-Corvette is definitely on, according to General Motors performance cars chief Tom Wallace.

Wallace, who replaced recently retired Corvette chief engineer Dave Hill, tells AutoWeek the biggest challenge facing the so-called Blue Devil Corvette is figuring out how to get 600 hp to the ground in such a way that it can be handled by a driver with the money to buy the car.

Wallace said GM is considering requiring that Blue Devil—and even Z06—buyers attend a driver school as part of the price of admission.

This is great news for all us Vette guys (and gals), however I think I will only window shop a $100K Vette.

What is scary is the 600+ HP. I'm glad GM is offering up a training class, however I dodge the crazies with half that HP on a daily basis during my commute. However, I guess another $100K super car won't attrack too many of the aformentioned crazies.

There was an interesting related article in the WSJ today about how the average car has doubled in HP since the 70's oil crisis and how cars are more fuel efficient even with the extra weight of the SUVs and high HP luxery sedans.

Could be why the posted 70 MPH speed limit here in SW Florida is more of a "suggestion". :laughing:

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'll take two!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
i think that is a great idea have been saying it ever since i took the class at spring mountian. these cars are way to fast to not have proper training. they can get you in trouble so fast your be wadded up before yu can react!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
What's even crazier though is a kid being able to pluck down around 10K and get more performance on 2 wheels which is MUCH more dangerous not having a cage around him like we have in our Vettes!:lookinup:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think that the blue devil will be akin to the ZR1. the ZR1 was extremely price for its time and chevy was not looking for high profits on it but rather it was the prestige of having a car like that.

·
SinisterC6's Daddy
1,026 Posts
Most crouch rockets(sport bikes) offer super car performance at a fraction of the cost and they're sold everyday without requiring the new owner to attend driving school. This should not keep someone from buying this car. I've known people to purchase them with a learner's permit only... I have a younger brother who owns a Suzuki Hyabusa 1300 cc (high 9 sec's in the quarter mile) he says most of the guys he rides with don't even have motorcycle licenses! I say bring it on!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts