Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to get to the point where I will need to build my body dolly. It will be constructed out of steel and not wood. I would like to complete it before I take the body off and need to know some measurements. I will have 4 vertical bars extending from the dolly frame up to the body mounting locations under the frame rails where the body mounts or cushions are located. From what I have been able to find through searches these mounting points are not just flat. I need to know what are the maximum dimensions for the top plate on my vertical mounts of the dolly. This would be for example 2"x2" flat bar with a 7/16 hole drilled and tapped in the center for the mounting bolt Ect. I would like to make it as large as possible for support 3"x6" Ect. with the mounting hole location dimensions. I have looked at the wooden dollies and some have a 4x4 upright that has a chamfer at the top of the vertical upright and the mounting bolt is off set or not in the center of the upright. I can wait until I pull the body off and take measurements and weld this together but it would be nice to build them ahead of time. Any help or advice :thumbsup:TIA:cheers:Mark

· Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone on here ever built a body dolly out of metal? If so how did you do it?:cheers:Mark

· Registered
332 Posts
I'm guessing you are asking for some dimensions for the build? I have no strength of materials data for the wood to metal conversion - but these seem to work well in lumber: (pending approval etc) Cheers - Jim
EDIT -- Click on the "My Corvette Photos" at the left - the pics show there. Go figure?!

Attachments

· Registered
552 Posts
The one I've worked with the most was a 6-8 inch tall I beam with outriggers to mount wheels about 4 ft apart. When you mounted a body, just attacked it with some scrap sheetmetal and tubing and made a set of custom mounts on the spot. Weld em to the I beam with several heavy spots/tacks, cut em off when you're done.

If you're a scrapyard scavenger, railroad track ought to make a fine base rail too. The best part about this style of mount is the low center of gravity.

Should you ever need to build a chassis, elevate the rail to table height, tack some level crossbars on, and go to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.