Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok when I ordered the clutch i thought it would come with new bolts...do I use grade 8 or grade 5 to old the clutch on the flywheel?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
why not pay the extra dollar for insurance like that. i would definately go grade 8

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why not pay the extra dollar for insurance like that. i would definately go grade 8
Thats what i was figuring, but when working with big trucks sometimes you use a weaker bolt to prevent more dnagerous or catastrophic damage to something else...just wanted to know i wasn't missing something.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Make sure you get bolts with the correct shoulder on them. Standard grade 8's will work, but the correct bolts help locate the pressure plate more on center.

:cheers:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
some bolts like ARP require you to countersink the hole a little too for the bolt to seat.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
I'd be scared of messing up the threads!
It's not a big deal, in this case I was using ARP ring gear bolts for a 71 BB diff. The ARP bolts have a larger radius under the head and this required me to chamfer the hole so they would seat properly. Without doing this they might not be torqued correctly. Here is a hole I did before installing the bolts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DUH:smack I was thinking drilling the hole a little deeper..yeah, thats a no brainer...I'll get a set of arp bolts to bolt it up...hhmmm, pep boys have them?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Did I miss something?? I thought we were looking at the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. Now we're discussing a differential carrier?

:thud:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did I miss something?? I thought we were looking at the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel. Now we're discussing a differential carrier?

:thud:
He was just showing an example of countersinking..come on, keep up...I hope you don't drive your vette this slow!!:spanked: :rolling:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts