1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Artist Jeremy Deller aims to show changing nature of modern warfare

Today

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39080641/ns/today-entertainment/

LONDON — The mangled remains of a bomb-ravaged car that illustrates life in Iraq is going on display at a London museum.

The tattered wreckage was salvaged by Turner Prize-winning artist Jeremy Deller to show the changing nature of modern warfare. It aims to draw attention to the huge rise in civilian casualties in warfare.

The car, a raw reminder of the six-year Iraqi conflict, was destroyed in a suicide bomb attack in Baghdad that killed 38 people in 2007.

First shown as part of an art project led by Deller in New York's New Museum last year, the installation is opening to the public Friday at London's Imperial War Museum

A man looks at a destroyed car, salvaged from the March 5, 2007, bombing of a historic street book market in Baghdad, that is currently exhibited at the Imperial War Museum in London on Thursday.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Wow :surprised

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Looks like it went to a crusher.:surprised

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
That'll buff out.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
ive never seen one look like that, unless a building fell on it....imo-as an automotive repair technician- is that the damage is consistent with a crushing event rather than an explosion. im throwing the bullshit flag.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
ive never seen one look like that, unless a building fell on it....imo-as an automotive repair technician- is that the damage is consistent with a crushing event rather than an explosion. im throwing the bullshit flag.
:agree:
Implosion, rather than explosion.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
and ive seen my share of blown up vehicles....deffinately not one that was blown up

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Anyone who would do that to an automobile

just to kill 50 or 100 of their own neighbors

has definitely got to be one sick individual.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Bad taste.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
and ive seen my share of blown up vehicles....deffinately not one that was blown up
It says bomb ravaged.. not the car the bomb was in. Looks like this melted from fire and crushed by building.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
It says bomb ravaged.. not the car the bomb was in. Looks like this melted from fire and crushed by building.
I agree with crushed but I would say a light or telephone pole from the U shape the roof was left in

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
actually that is typical of a heat melt. the reinforced structure rails and frame cavity don't bend as much as the thin top sheet metal. Kinda hard to tell from the pic but it looks like it was pushed in the direction of the guy standing during the crush or the blast/heat source car from that angle.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
and If I was the company that made front strut that survived I'd be using that as a sales prop!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts