Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed what looked like a small (arched) scratch above the rear wheel well. I thought it was weird when I noticed an identical scratch on the opposite side and was trying to figure out how that could have happened.

I was at the local corvette club last night and several members were looking over the car. I mentioned the scratch and they explained it was the bonding strips and not a scratch. I ran my hand up under the rear wheel well and could feel the strip that follow what I now see is a hairline crack along the outside.

My question then, am I going to be driving one day and my rear panels are going to fly off? Is this something I can wait on or is it something that needs immediate attention? My guess is, this one is not a simple fix.

I am still considering driving the car from Texas to Indiana later this summer and would rather not experience the car disintegrating en route.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
How old is the paint on your car? All (4) of the fenders up by the top corners have seams. They are "glued together" and then covered with "bondo" (body filler). This stuff if used improperly, or not coveverd correctly with primer, will "shrink" over time causing "cracks" in the top coat. If you car has not been a major accident and had both quarter panels replaced, I would not worry about anything seperating, but the bad news is you can try to hide (with touch-up paint) but the only way to truly fix is to re-paint. (fiber glass flexes) and paint after years does not causing cracks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just brought the car home a week ago. They did not repaint the entire car, but did a decent amount of touch up work. I am not sure, but don't think they did the rear quarter panels. I am pretty sure the car was repainted within the past 3-4 years and looks like a pretty good job.

The mechanic I had inspect the car was pretty certain it had not been in an accident. He said there had only been some minor body work on the car in the front.

I can live with the minor cracks, they really don't stand out until you get up close.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
No worries...the cracks you see is the expected shrinkage of the factory bond joint. It will take bodywork (grind and fill) to repair these normal defects. The panels won't fall off...trust me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback.

Big G, I bow to both your vettes and especially your garage. Nice pics.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
No worries...the cracks you see is the expected shrinkage of the factory bond joint. It will take bodywork (grind and fill) to repair these normal defects. The panels won't fall off...trust me.
:agree:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts