Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this does not sound like a broken record. Buy the Helms GM "Shop manual. Consider buying the AIM., Assembly Line Instruction Manual.
These books/reprints are worth their weight in gold. They will answer 96% of all questions. Most are available at Corvette vendors, e-bay, and other sources.
The Chiltons and Haynes are CRAP. They are generic, and non model specific.
My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
I hope this does not sound like a broken record. Buy the Helms GM "Shop manual. Consider buying the AIM., Assembly Line Instruction Manual.
These books/reprints are worth their weight in gold. They will answer 96% of all questions. Most are available at Corvette vendors, e-bay, and other sources.
The Chiltons and Haynes are CRAP. They are generic, and non model specific.
My 2 cents.
Well said!! :thumbsup:

Another helpful reference is get a good wiring diagram. I bought one that is laminated and have it pinned to my garage wall.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
May want to add a reproduction owner's manual to the list. It's surprising how many Corvette driver's don't have one. Lots of valuable information in the owner's manual.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I'd also add the "Chevy High Performance" books from GM. The older ones had (have) a lot of really good info on engines and suspension. All the dimensions, where and how to stiffen the frame, calculate roll centers, and just general good stuff.

:cheers:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a copy of the 1981 Corvette Assembly Manual from GM and it's been pretty invaluable.
On a side note, I currently work as a librarian, and if you're interested in a pretty good read, I'm nearly finished with a book I found in the stacks called "All Corvettes are Red" and it's a hard one for me to put down!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Is the Helms as good as or better than the GM Shop Manual?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I have a copy of the 1981 Corvette Assembly Manual from GM and it's been pretty invaluable.
On a side note, I currently work as a librarian, and if you're interested in a pretty good read, I'm nearly finished with a book I found in the stacks called "All Corvettes are Red" and it's a hard one for me to put down!
:lookinup: You mean they're NOT??????????????:lookinup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Is the Helms as good as or better than the GM Shop Manual?

Same thing. Helm Inc. does manuals for GM. It's the HAYNES and CHILTON manuals that are not so good.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Same thing. Helm Inc. does manuals for GM. It's the HAYNES and CHILTON manuals that are not so good.

Thanks. I have a Haines and Chilton that came with the car. I've since bought the GM Shop Manual.

I am keeping the Haines and Chilton for if I ever have to stay in hospital and need some colouring in books... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I have a Haines and Chilton that came with the car. I've since bought the GM Shop Manual.

I am keeping the Haines and Chilton for if I ever have to stay in hospital and need some colouring in books... :thumbsup:
Burn them when your cold.:rolling:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
These are not shop manuals but books I have spent a lot of time reading.

1969 Stingray Guidebook by Bizzoco
Fact Book of the 1968 - 1972 Stingray by Dobbins
How to Restore and Modify your Corvette 1968-82 by Newton

The last book I bought when I bought my first vette, it might not be of interest to some of the long time owners.

When I moved three years ago, the guy packing the books said "I've never seen so many Corvette books before!"

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Two more good books (but not shop manuals):

Eckler's Complete Guide to Corvette Fiberglass Repair

The Hemmings Motor News Book of Corvettes -- Drive Reports from Special Interest Auto Magazines

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Don't forget "Corvette Body Repair Guides" Vol 1 thur 6 by Glas-ra.com.
I have vol 5 & 6 which cover the C4. They're rather detailed repair books.

Eckler's Complete Guide to Corvette Fiberglass Repair
When did you buy your copy of this book?

I bought a copy back in '91. Had not looked at it yearssssssssssssss.
Dug it out the other day only to discover it contains some Errors.

Don't believe Eckler's still sells this book.........could not find it on
their web site.

In my issue they recommend using the same resin on all C3 cars GRP and SMC.
63-72 were GRP and 73-82 are SMC........But now on their web site they
make a clear distinction between the two.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Ecklers still sold the book 5 years ago.

Here is another good read:
Big Block Chevy Engine Buildups -- How to Build Horsepower for Maximum Street and Racing Performance from the Editors of Chevy High Performance and Super Chevy

I can't afford these engines, but found this interesting reading.

Don't flame me on this one guys, I'm not a big engine guy.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
These make great "Throne Room" reads: :D

(HP Books)
1001 High Performance Tech Tips
1001 More High Performance Tech Tips
Both by Wayne Scraba

CORVETTE TECH Q&A
By Dave Emanuel

There is always a "Hummmmmmmmmmmm! I didn't know that."
to be found in one of these. :thumbsup: