Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife & I (yes she helped a lot) installed the Stinger Sports (w/out X-pipe) on my 07 MN6. First let me say this, I agonized for months over which system to get. After reading numerous opinions for & against,watching every video sound clip I could, I finally went with the Borlas. This is not my daily driver and I was not too concerned about the dreaded DRONE so much. I wanted a deep, loud exhaust that had that muscle car sound. Well let me tell you THIS IS WHAT A VETTE SHOULD SOUND LIKE ! After a weekend and about 200 miles (highway & back roads) of driving I'll tell you what I thought.. First of all these things are loud. Not obnoxious but if you are looking for something a little more than stock, look elsewhere. They have a deep rumble at idle and awesome roar at WOT. I decided to not install the X-pipe because it smooths out the exhaust and gets rid of the "burble" on deceleration which I personally love. It actually does it everytime you lift off the gas so if you're not crazy about this sound I'd get the X-pipe.. Dreaded "drone", well I'm really not sure. In 6th gear at 1500-1800 rpm on the highway (top on,windows up) you do get a low pitched hum but I would describe it more as just the exhaust note than drone. If you're a cruising on flat highway you almost can't hear anything. It's only when you give it a little gas to accelerate or go up a small grade that you hear the noise. Whatever it is, drone or just the exhaust note it didn't bother me. Plus you can change the frequency by shifting into 5th. I don't know how it would sound with an automatic trans but with the manual, it was no problem for me.. I was also a little worried that the wife would think they were too loud. After the install, with the car backed into the garage, I started it up and she about ****. :laughing: It was pretty loud in the garage but once we went for a ride she LOVED the sound. Her exact words were "it sounds like an old muscle car now".. Everywhere we went we got looks from people and even some smiles and "yes" nods from a group of Harley riders we passed. I questioned my wife a few times during our rides if she thought it "droned" and if anything bothered her and she said no. Believe me if she had a problem with it I would hear about it!:laughing: We also had the top off (coupe) and windows down at one point and it just sounded better. Actaully driving like this you couldn't hear the low hum or drone at all over the wind. Just an awesome, deep exhaust growl. Anyway, that's what I think of the Stinger Sports. I hope this helps anyone who is trying to make a decision about an exhaust. FYI it took about 3 hours to install with just Race ramps & jack stands and it was a PITA but well worth it in the end. Also sorry about no paragraphs I can't figure out how the F to put them in.:D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
:thumbsup I personally like gurgle sound myself

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the Borla Stingers #11744s and must say, that is a great and honest review.:thumbsup:

The only bad thing, you will find excuses to take LONG drives for no reason, I know all Vette guys do this, but you will have goosebumps too.:partyon:

Howard

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just spoke with Chris at CorvetteGarage...I have a set of Borla 11744s on the way. I hope I can install them by the weekend. Then hopefully, someone will want my Route 66s. :laughing: :rolling: :crazy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Borla exhaust

We had Borla's installed last September at the Mid America Vette Fest. Love the sound at acceleration and the highway ride is a a comfortable powerful drone. You are right....this is what a Corvette should sound like!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts