Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you guys as you guys know i am in the process of painting my car, which i will prabaly post pics tomorrow since everything is done i just need to put everything back. Well my car is going to look fast with the gs stripe but i also wanted to be fast so i got the bottle. Well here are some pics.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Cool....ya can't go wrong with the Harris Speedworks Nitrous stuff.........Just make sure to run all the failsafes (FPSS, Pull Timing, Colder Plugs, Ect) and it should be trouble free for a LONG LONG time.......good luck with it....Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,524 Posts
What shot spray do you have?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool....ya can't go wrong with the Harris Speedworks Nitrous stuff.........Just make sure to run all the failsafes (FPSS, Pull Timing, Colder Plugs, Ect) and it should be trouble free for a LONG LONG time.......good luck with it....Joe:thumbsup:
Yeah ill make sure i buy the extras, after you told me the kit is good quality i went ahead and ordered it. Thanks for the input guys:thumbsup:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Is a 75 shot the limit for a stock lt1? I'm considering nitrous and my engine is stock. Gotta let me know how that kit works for you when its hooked up:thumbsup:

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
Can we get a video on how it runs after completion please

·
Registered
914 Posts
I just installed a harris speedworks wet single nozzle kit on my brothers 1987 corvette last week. It's a 50 horse shot when we tested the fuel solenoid we found it was leaking fuel past the plunger and no I did not use Teflon tape to seal the threads on the fittings I use liquid Teflon. I called harris and they told me to take it apart and check for foreign matter inside. I did and I found a piece of metal inside. After removing it the solenoid works perfectly. So we then pressurized the nitrous solenoid and guess what same problem! But after a quick disassemble and finding nothing inside I reassembled and retested it and now it works perfectly also. I called harris back and they said that they would pull and check some solenoids. First time out my brother and I competed in a corvette bragging rights race held at our local dragstrip. He won and was the second fastest car there! His 1987 basically stock L98 with a 50 horse shot on street tires ran 8.47 at 82mph in the 1/8. We have since added dumps and slicks and we going for 8.30 or quicker which is 12.99 in the quarter. Total cost for all of the mods just under $500. The moral to this story is to check everything don't assume just because it's new that it's good!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I ran a 75 shot on my LT1 Trans Am. I made a total of about 20 passes running juice, never had engine trouble.

Only thing I would be concerned about would be the rear end, with street tires and IRS wheel hop, shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Is a 75 shot the limit for a stock lt1? I'm considering nitrous and my engine is stock. Gotta let me know how that kit works for you when its hooked up:thumbsup:
For a bone stock LT1/LT4 engine.....Running 125-150 RWHP shots are "very" common place with ZERO negative effects.....this is also the range in which many reputable nitrous kits come jetted for the specific LT1/LT4 cars, and is considered by many to be the safe and "practial" limit of that engine in stock trim........this is ofcourse "only" true if ALL of the failsafes have been impleminted and the mixture is "NEVER" allowed to go lean(IE: not enough fuel in relation to nitrous).....always keep in mind, even a little baby 50-75 HP shot can burn valves, pistons, and even totally destroy an otherwise good motor "IF" the mixture goes too lean........... On my own 95 Vette, I ran a DRY NOS Brand "Factory Jetted" 140 (RWHP) shot since Aug of '98, which allowed the bone stock (high 13 second) car to run in the high 11's... and then at the end of '05 after the mods in my signature were performed, and after litterally Hundreds of bottle refills over the years, I switched to a 125 RWHP shot WET kit for the easier tunability of the mixture that WET kits offer(over dry style).....We just did a compression and leakdown test a few months ago and the percentages of leakdown and evenness from "cylinder to cylinder" were still on par with when the car was new........Point Being: if the nitrous kit is of good qulaity "and" set-up correctly(and maintained).. it's really amazing how long things can last...PS: On 90% of the LT1/LT4 kits I install on "stock" street driven cars, I usually set them up in the 100-125 (RWHP) range for maximum drivetrain reliability..........Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah ill make sure i buy the extras, after you told me the kit is good quality i went ahead and ordered it. Thanks for the input guys:thumbsup:
:thumbsup: ......good luck with it...let us know how she runs............Joe

·
Registered
441 Posts
I sure will joe, how much will it take off the 1/4 with 75 shot
On a stock (or mostly stock) LT1 Vette....I've seen many 75 (RWHP) shots take a full second off of the quarter mile times, and close to a 10MPH gain in the quarter.....the more stock an engine is, the greater the gains for a given amount of nitrous.........the jetting for a (still plenty safe) 125 RWHP shot will put you right into the low 12's... even a VERY high 11 with some drag radials, ofcourse spraying all the way right from the line............Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Joe i had a quick question, where is the best place to run the main feed line of nitrous, i put it through the drivers side, there is a hole where the wiring for the subs go. Is that fine?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hey Joe i had a quick question, where is the best place to run the main feed line of nitrous, i put it through the drivers side, there is a hole where the wiring for the subs go. Is that fine?
Yea, that should be fine .....really as long as the line from the bottle makes it up to the solenoids in the engine compartment your good.........I just take a different route on my installs....I pretty much always go from the bottle in the interior hatch area, down through the "very" side of the latched jack compartment and then out of the bottom of the jack compartment thru a small drilled hole with rubber grommet installed in it.....and then I wrap-tie the main nitrous braided line right next to the existing cars fuel lines all the way down the passenger side of the car.....and then up thru where the windshield washer tank is in the passenger side fender....and then on to the "optional" Nitrous inline filter, and then solenoid(s)...........just make sure to use your safety blow down tube(if the kit came with one), or if you dont want to make a hole in your hatch area for it(as I don't ever).....pick up an 8an braided line (a few feet long) and run that for your safety burst line instead of the fixed hard tubing.....you can contact Harris for the proper fitting for your bottle to do this and you can run the 8an line out of the car the same route that I mentioned I use for the main bottle feed line on my installs(IE:thru the jack compartment exiting the cars interior)........on other types of cars with a seperate trunk(not thats it's a good idea) but, many guys don't use the safety burst line or tubing at all.....but on vettes with the bottle being in the small interior compartment with you, It's super important.......I've seen guys have the whole interior fill with nitrous vapor while they were cruising down the highway after their bottles got too hot......pretty funny stories, but not the safest thing to have happen:D ................Joe:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts