Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some background info...

Trans was rebuilt last summer and when it went back in, I had added a 3500 stall Yank converter.

Now, at WOT, the motor will hit the rev limiter before it shifts to the next gear. I went drag racing this past weekend and every pass was the same.

Trans fluid level is fine, can't think of anything else.

Any ideas here? Bad converter or something else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the only mod. I'm starting to wonder if my vibration at 2,000 rpms is being caused by the TC too. I really hope it's not going bad, too much money to just throw away.

I'm going to have to look at it this weekend and see if I can find out if the vibration is something else.

We'll have to figure out a weekend to hook up and play with some tuning. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
BubbleHead said:
That's the only mod. I'm starting to wonder if my vibration at 2,000 rpms is being caused by the TC too. I really hope it's not going bad, too much money to just throw away.

I'm going to have to look at it this weekend and see if I can find out if the vibration is something else.

We'll have to figure out a weekend to hook up and play with some tuning. :thumbsup:
If you need any trans help just e-mail me and let me know I rebuilt mine and I'm currently rebuilding a friends for his Z28...
-Rick:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VetteTech81 said:
If you need any trans help just e-mail me and let me know I rebuilt mine and I'm currently rebuilding a friends for his Z28...
-Rick:thumbsup:
I don't need the trans rebuilt, just need to figure out why I'm hitting the rev limiter at WOT, in every gear. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
BubbleHead said:
I don't need the trans rebuilt, just need to figure out why I'm hitting the rev limiter at WOT, in every gear. :(
I know, I just ment that if you need any help in the future with the trans let me know.. I am thinking that your hitting the rev limiter because of the stock program.. I forget what year your is but if it has the 4l60E maybe you can do some tweaking to the trans settings..
-Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bad!

It may make a difference, or not, but I have the 700R4. I'm confused as to why the stock programming would cause this problem now, and not when I installed the trans/TC last summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
BubbleHead said:
My bad!

It may make a difference, or not, but I have the 700R4. I'm confused as to why the stock programming would cause this problem now, and not when I installed the trans/TC last summer.
Hmm.. then I don't think programming would make a difference... Because all the shift points are controlled by the trans... I am thinking maybe check your TV cable maybe it streched since the last time it was out. and make shure it's adjusted correctly.. And if your bouncing off the rev limiter then I am thinking it is shifting at too late of RPM.. For what ever reason it is shifting late I am thinking it is trans related since the only things the Electrical on that trans(700R4) are the TC lockup and the 4 gear pressure switch (also the speedo but I'm not counting that)....

The 700R4 is a little different then the 4L60E but really only in the sense of the valvebody (case if dif because of the valve body) and I havn't messed much with the 700R4's I have a buddy that has. if memory serves me besides the TV cable the other item that I belive changes the shift points is the govenor..

-Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
BubbleHead said:
Hopefully the weather will clear up this afternoon and I can play around. I'll check the TV cable today or tomorrow. :thumbsup:
Did you ever get a chance to mess with the TV cable? I am interested to find out what was causing your problem..
-Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, decided against messing with it. I talked to a guy this past weekend and he thinks the trans needs to be recalibrated since the gear change and new hi-stall converter. He said I would probably have to change the weights in the governor and Jegs has this kit for under $30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
BubbleHead said:
No, decided against messing with it. I talked to a guy this past weekend and he thinks the trans needs to be recalibrated since the gear change and new hi-stall converter. He said I would probably have to change the weights in the governor and Jegs has this kit for under $30.
Cool let us know if the new weights solve your problem.. what I thought was weird or didn't make sense is this problem didn't appear for a while after both the stall and gears were installed.. is this correct? anyhow I am just curious to see what has been causing this problem.. I hope it turns out to just be the weights in the govenor..
-Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The gears went in first and about a year later I did the converter. So, I'm thinking that the converter loosen up/broke in and started causing the problem.

The weights will recalibrate the shift points, which I was told, should of been done with the swap. I think it would of been a good idea, but I never saw a problem with the gears by them self.

We'll see how this all turns out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
BubbleHead said:
The gears went in first and about a year later I did the converter. So, I'm thinking that the converter loosen up/broke in and started causing the problem.

The weights will recalibrate the shift points, which I was told, should of been done with the swap. I think it would of been a good idea, but I never saw a problem with the gears by them self.

We'll see how this all turns out.
That doesn't make sense.. I cant think of anything in the converter that would loosen up or break in that would cause that.. I am thinking either the TV cable is misadjusted, the govenor needs different weights, or the trans is slipping (even a little bit) under heavy load (WOT).. or maybe even something hanging up in the vavling.. but I am thinking try what you are thinking with the weights and try it out.. if that doesnt help maybe take a look at the TV cable..

Also just curious did you baby the car for about 500 miles after the trans rebuild?

Let me know if you need anyhelp working on it or anything.. just e-mail me and let me know..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
VetteTech81 said:
Hmm.. then I don't think programming would make a difference... Because all the shift points are controlled by the trans... I am thinking maybe check your TV cable maybe it streched since the last time it was out. and make shure it's adjusted correctly.. And if your bouncing off the rev limiter then I am thinking it is shifting at too late of RPM.. For what ever reason it is shifting late I am thinking it is trans related since the only things the Electrical on that trans(700R4) are the TC lockup and the 4 gear pressure switch (also the speedo but I'm not counting that)....

The 700R4 is a little different then the 4L60E but really only in the sense of the valvebody (case if dif because of the valve body) and I havn't messed much with the 700R4's I have a buddy that has. if memory serves me besides the TV cable the other item that I belive changes the shift points is the govenor..

-Rick
I'm not a trany guy but I agree with you sounds like the converter is'nt locking up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
offshore said:
I'm not a trany guy but I agree with you sounds like the converter is'nt locking up
The converter is not supposed to lock at Wide Open Throttle. It is only supposed to operate during cruise conditions for fuel economy. Usually with GM's they lock up when you hit about 40mph.. I can feel when mine locks espessicaly since I installed the vigilante converter wich the tcc is made of kevlar friction materail. Say your cuising ar 40mph and you mash the gas the converter should unlock.

-Rick

My other .02 or .20
Anyhow from his description I am thinking that it's either a problem with the TV cable, the govenor, or his trans is slipping.. which could be caused by a bunch of things.. Also jsut because the trans was rebuilt does not mean that it couldn't fail prematurely.. one of the biggest things that kills a trans is heat.. and if your running a higher stall converter you are makeing lots of heat build up that the engineers didn't account for when desiging the trans cooler.. so you should add an extra cooler.. I added a small one but it's still not enough on hot days, I am getting to the max on my temp gauge.. this is especially important if you'r running a smaller diameter converter there is less ATF in the trans which means there is more heat going to less oil.. less cooling.. so add an extra cooler if you plan to make your trans last with a high stall.. anyway blah blah blah...
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top