Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Opinions

I installed the braided hose covers and red wire covers. What do you guys think? The braided lines are a real PITA.

Here is the car, 89 L98. Red interior.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TY! :)

Also, how do you go about polishing the TPI? I used the same polish on it that I did on the other parts and it didn't make a diff. Are the TPI & Brackets clear coated or something?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
The only way to do it right is to take it off. I have a buddy that wants to do mine he has a bench grinder set up and did the one on his 85 Trans Am. It does look good.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
I like the red wire covers.... I'm just not a fan of the stainless steel wrap stuff.

Good lookin car though.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Looks nice. If you can get the steel covers and the intake close to the same finish, you'll really have a sharp look. Polish up the intake, alternator, etc to a chrome look and you'll be set!

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replys!

I did some polishing on the intake and alternator brackets today, made a difference but the only way to make it right is to take em off and polish them.

Here are some pics, excuse my crappy little camera hehe.

I will post some better pic when I get more lighting hooked up. Looks like me and the wifey are gonna tackle the intake and stuff tonight.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got the top piece of the intake done, here is a pic of the runners, 1 is done and the other is the way it was. What a difference. :)

Also, can you polish out the stock steel valve covers to a shine? Or is it best to paint them?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Great job on the runners.:thumbsup:
What did you use to polish them and how long did it take?

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the process:

Using a drill with a 5" disc attachment, start with 80 grit 3m autosand paper. Do as much as you can with the drill especially on the parts of the runners that show the most. Then use a piece by hand to finish those tough areas. Move to 180 grit and do the same thing (the 80 will take the texture off the peice, and the 180 will take out the deep sratches made by the 80). Then move to a 3" 3m rust remover wheel, this will get the piece really smooth and clean up the minor sratches from the 180. Then move to medium steel wool then fine steel wool. I then polished it out with Eagle aluminum polish. It looks really good in the picture and awesome in person. It is very time consuming and the runners are tough to work with, but it's gonna be worth the effort.

The grooves in the top of the plenum are one place you can't do alot with, so after that piece was finished I put 1/8" 3m red pinstripe in the grooves for accent.

I have the valve covers off as well, but I do need to know if the steel will polish out, I might just have to try and see. :)

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok, here is the assembly completed:

As you can see, the pinstripe is not going to work so we are painting them red.

Again, excuse my crappy camera hehe. It's raining here so I can't even get good pics outside.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Looking real good. I like the braided hose covering, I have that on my car also. :)

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ty

That is a sweet vert :) I like that body kit you got, wish I could find those blackouts locally.

Here is the valve covers, half done.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
The polished parts are very nice!! :excited: :excited: :excited:

Thanks Vette_Newb for posting the steps you took to get that nice shine! :thumbsup: I have to see how much time I have before I can get my car in the shop for the rest of my mods. I will get around to polishing mine sooner or later.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Starting to put it all back together.....

It's been alot of work, but very well worth it. :)

I can't finish completely untill the polished Allen Bolt set arrives.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Vette_Newb said:
TY! :)

Also, how do you go about polishing the TPI? I used the same polish on it that I did on the other parts and it didn't make a diff. Are the TPI & Brackets clear coated or something?
Hawaiian Punch might have pictures of my 89 tpi,i polished the plenum,throttle body,all brackets,and painted the runners and intake manifold red.I started with 200 grit sand paper and went all the way to 2000 grit.It's very tediuos,i took about 2 days just for the plenum.But were talking like glass,almost like chrome.When/if you get to the 2000 grit,try the mothers billet aluminum polish with the 2000 grit.The results are amazing,it's a pain though,i'm doing my C5 now.There is no easier way,unless you buy them already polished of coarse.
Cool flex makes great hoses,polished stainless steel,hoses will last longer than your car.They flex also.Come in alot of colors,i will put some on my car soon.:smokin:

Edit:Ddamn,i should have read the second page of this thread before posting,If you can't see your nose hair in the plenum,it needs more polishing.:laughing: Thats my moto.:smokin:
Looks pretty good.If you go to 2000 grit,you must use your hand,back and forth,no power tools or you will see the scratchs in the polish job.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts