Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the easiest way to remove the Booster on my 1991 Vette? All info and how to's really appreciated... Finally I am gonna start working on Her

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
First unbolt the m/c and push it forward. It will hang by the lines. Second, pull the vacuum line to the booster.

Now, go under the dash. Drop your hush panel and you can look up to the brake pedal and see where the push rod goes through the firewall. On each side of the brake pedal to firewall mount there will be a nut. I think it is either a 13mm or 15mm. You will want a swivel head and long extension to access it.

You also need to pop the pin from the push rod so it is free from the pedal.

Now, squeeze under, use your extension, and remove the nuts. Once the two nuts are off the booster will be ready to pull.

Some people will remove the seat for better access. It depends on your size and frame build if you can slip in there and access it without pulling the seat, or breaking a rib or two.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just got through doing the same replacement. on my 89. I replaced the entire booster and master cyl. Folow the above directions and you should have no problem. The rod attached to the brake pedal was real hard to get off, had to pry it off and back on.

If you have small hands, can stand on your head, see upside down, have a good sticky finger for putting nuts where nuts don't seem to go, you'll do fine.
:agree: My back is still sore. I could kill the guy who put the viper alarm system in this car.:nuts:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dude those nut at the Brake pedal are hard to get to but I finally got the off. Now I just need to wait till tomarrow for the New Brake Booster to arrive. Thanks for you alls help

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok finally remove and replace is done and wow theres a difference from before but now the breaks feel a little loose cause I know they can stop quicker. Anybody got any solutions? I am thinking maybe bleeding the brakes...

·
Registered
31 Posts
With out question, bleed the brakes. It helps to have a friend or get one of the bleeder systems for one person. Good to have around. The master cyl needs to be bleed before hooking it to the brake lines or you will send air down the lines. I bleed my entire system since it had not been done in who knows how long.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One Question. by any chance can someone help me with how to bleed my System and replace all the brake fluid?

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the "two person flush" done with the Vette on or the Vette Off? I don't think it specifies...

·
Registered
31 Posts
The two person system is done the old fashion way. With a person in the car pumping the brake, holding the pedal down, then another person cracking open the bleeder on each wheel, the process is repeated many times until the system (all 4 wheels) have been done. Once this has been done the brake pedal should be working like normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts