Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i almost rear ended someone the other day getting on a roundabout. The stupid asses started to move and there was no traffic in the roundabout and they stopped again anyway.

anyway...jabbing the brakes quick it seemed the booster won't respond quick enough. I have plenty of assist when applying the brakes slow and progressively.

i read somewhere you can take the felt ring out to increase response time. Anybody done this?

·
Registered
117 Posts
New one on me (felt ring)...standard brakes or modified system? Hydro was one of the best mods on my 71 so far. Fairly cheap and easy and no longer relies on vacuume

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
i almost rear ended someone the other day getting on a roundabout. The stupid asses started to move and there was no traffic in the roundabout and they stopped again anyway.

anyway...jabbing the brakes quick it seemed the booster won't respond quick enough. I have plenty of assist when applying the brakes slow and progressively.

i read somewhere you can take the felt ring out to increase response time. Anybody done this?

TV, long as you been around here, and all the HB discussions everywhere, for at least a year before even I got around to the conversion, and you race the thing, no?? and you haven't done it yet, I very surprised....

I tore my old vac junk booster apart, it still held vacuum when I popped the input valve, and could find nothing rong with it anywhere...

but the HB took care of all my brake pedal problems like nothing else, car has has a pedal hard as a teenager for about a year now...

there is no other solution, and I been through it ALL in 12 years...beeleemee....

:huh: :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts

A vacuum booster is easy to "beat" with a quick pedal jab. Some are worse than others. Remember that the technology goes back to the 40's.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
I don't know what felt ring you're talking about, are you talking about the foam filter thing for the floating valve? If you take it out it could maybe allow the valve to flow more and thus react faster. I have never tried removing it.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, never heard of it. I have driven a few BB Vettes with pow str, manual brakes. Didn't really have a problem braking. Maybe try TT suggestion.:huh:
Or maybe i'll just take 10 minutes and pull the felt ring out and see if that helps.

No reason a vacuum booster shouldn't respond fast. My old 66 buick lesabre would put your face into the windshield with just a quick tap.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Or maybe i'll just take 10 minutes and pull the felt ring out and see if that helps.

No reason a vacuum booster shouldn't respond fast. My old 66 buick lesabre would put your face into the windshield with just a quick tap.
Maybe your on to something. Try to find a booster for a Buick La Sabre on E-Bay.:laughing:

Let us know if it works. Duke94 used to work at Bendex. I am surprised he did not know either.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know what felt ring you're talking about, are you talking about the foam filter thing for the floating valve? If you take it out it could maybe allow the valve to flow more and thus react faster. I have never tried removing it.

you need to bone up on your C3 knowledge.:D

I found the reference.

Chevy Power manual 5th ed. page 6-16 under Components. Paragraph 1

"If a Chevrolet wacuum power boost unit is used, the noise attenuator (filter) packing around the push rod opening should be removed to improve the response time of the diaphram duriing pedal application."

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
you need to bone up on your C3 knowledge.:D

I found the reference.

Chevy Power manual 5th ed. page 6-16 under Components. Paragraph 1

"If a Chevrolet wacuum power boost unit is used, the noise attenuator (filter) packing around the push rod opening should be removed to improve the response time of the diaphram duriing pedal application."
wacuum? You need to bone up on your typing.:D

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
that is exactly the thing i mean, you said felt, I said foam :) so it is that filter thing for the floating valve. Silencer/filater..whatever LOL I knew what I meant ;)
So... what are you doing here typing a message, remove the damned thing :rolling:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Maybe your on to something. Try to find a booster for a Buick La Sabre on E-Bay.:laughing:

Let us know if it works. Duke94 used to work at Bendex. I am surprised he did not know either.
Actually, I worked for Kelsey Hayes (now TRW) on combo valves and ABS. We never did much with vacuum boosters other than pound the hell out of them doing spike brake stops. A good test driver will use his leg muscle and never give the booster a chance to do anything but weez. We had one guy that hammered the pedal so hard he cracked the firewall!

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Actually, I worked for Kelsey Hayes (now TRW) on combo valves and ABS. We never did much with vacuum boosters other than pound the hell out of them doing spike brake stops. A good test driver will use his leg muscle and never give the booster a chance to do anything but weez. We had one guy that hammered the pedal so hard he cracked the firewall!
My oops. I almost got it right. Know any good test driver's?:rolling:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts