Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've been away from the Corvette scene for several years while working on some financial goals that conflicted with turning wrenches. The brakes on the old toy need replacing, and research using the search function on this and other forums suggested that VBP sleeved & o-ringed calipers was the ideal treatment for a street driven C3.

Now that VPB is dead, I'm not sure where to turn. The Wilwood kit looks good but doesn't have dust seals, and I'm not sure what reputable company does the stainless sleeve and O-ring conversions as well.

I don't autocross, rarely go to a strip, but want to drive this toy on the street. Where should I be looking now?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've been running a set of wilwood superlite/dynalite calipers on the street for 10 years and have had no problems.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a properly setup stock vette system.
Any vendor can set you up with the parts, pretty straight forward work. I work with Muskegon Brakes but they all get the calipers from the same place, so working with a place that has good customer service is important. Muskegon or Bairs would be my first calls.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
The Wilwood kit looks good but doesn't have dust seals, and I'm not sure what reputable company does the stainless sleeve and O-ring conversions as well.

I don't autocross, rarely go to a strip, but want to drive this toy on the street. Where should I be looking now?
Typically the only reason someone will shy away from Wilwood is because it is too pricey for their budget. Nobody complains about the hardware or claims deficiencies in it. The best names in the industry for brakes and brake hardware are Baer, Brembo, and Wilwood. If you are looking at hardware from any of these 3 companies you are on the right path. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been running a set of wilwood superlite/dynalite calipers on the street for 10 years and have had no problems.
Thanks zwede, how many miles do you put on it a year? Do you have some kind of annual brake maintenance routine? If so, what do you do?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is nothing wrong with a properly setup stock vette system.
Any vendor can set you up with the parts, pretty straight forward work. I work with Muskegon Brakes but they all get the calipers from the same place, so working with a place that has good customer service is important. Muskegon or Bairs would be my first calls.
Thanks Gary, I had checked out Bairs a few days ago and didn't see the O-ring calipers listed. I had forgotten about Muskegon, and they do list the sleeved and O-ring'd calipers. If they have been good to you all these years, that's a strong vote for their service & support.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
Thanks Gary, I had checked out Bairs a few days ago and didn't see the O-ring calipers listed. I had forgotten about Muskegon, and they do list the sleeved and O-ring'd calipers. If they have been good to you all these years, that's a strong vote for their service & support.
For whatever it's worth, I have only used stock lip seal calipers the past 41 years of owing these cars. Not saying O-rings are bad I just never needed them when I have the bearing endplay under 002 and the rotor runout under 003

1 - 11 of 11 Posts