Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Employee of the Year
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wheels are covered in brake dust that looks & feels like it's baked on. I've got Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads which really throw off the dust. How can I get this stuff off the wheels?

·
Registered
597 Posts
wash it very regularly. scrub it. hope it didnt damage your wheels depending on what you have it might of. mine are pretty bad from it.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Maquiars All Wheel Cleaner always worked for me. Even when I raced and the wheels heated and baked the dust on All Wheel cleaned them up.

:cheers:

·
Registered
389 Posts
First I would want to know what the wheel finish is (chrome, painted silver, aluminum)?

·
Supporting Vendor / Car Care Sponsor
637 Posts
First I would want to know what the wheel finish is (chrome, painted silver, aluminum)?
Bingo. :thumbsup:

What the wheel surface is will dictate what the best course of action would be.

I will say the combo of our Green Wheel Cleaner & Boars Hair Wheel Brush worked wonders on the Porsche Cayenne we detailed last week.

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:

·
Employee of the Year
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wheels are the stock alumnium styled which I think are clear coated. The clear coat stops me from being aggressive with the scrubbing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Brake dust is probably the worst thing for wheel finishes, so depending on how long it's been there it can be real hard to remove.

If the wheels are not clearcoated you'll need to be very careful with your product selection. To find out, you can rub some metal polish onto an inconspicuous part of the rim; if your applicator comes back with black residue, you're dealing with bare metal.

If the wheels are clearcoated, liberally spray a wheel cleaner (Adam's Green Cleaner, Meguiar's Wheel Brightener, Poorboy's Spray and Rinse, etc.) on a cool rim (out of the sun) and let it dwell for a while. Then agitate with a good bristle brush like pictured above. You may have to rinse and repeat this a few times, and use a smaller brush to get into the areas around the spokes and lugnuts. I also like to use a Daytona Wheel Brush to get into any "hard to reach" places, e.g., the barrel of the rim behind the wheel face.

When you're finished cleaning, you'll want to seal the wheels (using whatever you would use on your paint) to prevent any further damage from brake dust and make future cleanings easier.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
You need to get to the root of the problem

"Your Current Brake Pads are te problem"

They are dusting the hell out of your rims,

Have a set of Hawk Ceramic Brake pads put on all four corners of the car"

***Problem Solved***:nuts:

Prevention is the best method

1 - 9 of 9 Posts