Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced all 4 brake calipers, brake booster and master cylinder. After replacing the entire brake system and bleeding the entire system, my pedal still goes to 3/4 of the way to the floor before I get any response. I've already spent way too many hours and way too much money on the problem to be right back where I started. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
738 Posts
you still have some air in there, know anyone with a power bleeder?
Have you tried gravity bleeding? Do you still get bubbles?
What kind of calipers did you put on?
Do the brakes work at all?

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Snake, I have owned my '72 here for 12 years and finally upon reading about the Hydro Booster system off Astro vans, and trucks...it's a power steering pump driven brake booster....

the mushy brakes are common as green grass throughout the entire Gm lineup of the 60-80's+ just is....I dunno why....

but switching to the HB system cured the problems....

and I been through every possible combo of fluids, brakes, pads, pistons, rings, calipers, etc....but it was the booster that finally cured the problem...

and my old booster was functioning properly far as I could tell....go figger...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Scroll down and see the many responses to my my brake bleeding question a few weeks back. I finally got and used a power bleeder on new rear calipers but I had to go back and forth between them several times over several days to get them filled and get all the air out. Not a fun job, I feel your pain. Anyway, I eventually did get the air out and my pedal up and no light but it was a struggle (and a mess).

I think this brake bleeding thing is a talent. If I ever get it down I'm going into the business.

Good luck
g:thumbsup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
You might want to try the Vacumn (sucker) bleeder to start and finish up with either the Motive (if you have it, if you don't you should consider getting it IMO) bleeder or gravity bleeding. When the system is totally dry like after a caliper rebuild, the vacumn bleeder helps getting the fluid going. Another thing, if you are using silicone fluid, it gives IMO a lower pedal than Dot 3 (or 4) fluid.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did you bench bleed the master cyclinder before you installed it? If not I would do this this first then try bleeding the rest of the system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts