Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Employee of the Year
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to a HPDE in May. While there, I destroyed the pads & had to get new ones. The shop at the track put on Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads which I just left on. I was warned about the noise & the dust. The guys at the shop suggested removing the pads when I got home but the only reason given was because of the noise (which I don't mind). Now I'm wondering if I should take them off. Are the pads chewing up my rotors? Does it really matter?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I took my car to a HPDE in May. While there, I destroyed the pads & had to get new ones. The shop at the track put on Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads which I just left on. I was warned about the noise & the dust. The guys at the shop suggested removing the pads when I got home but the only reason given was because of the noise (which I don't mind). Now I'm wondering if I should take them off. Are the pads chewing up my rotors? Does it really matter?
They will wear your rotors faster than some pads. Pick a good street pad if you are not going to do HPDE or high performance driving often.

:cheers:

·
Employee of the Year
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I had a great time at Cresson. Too bad I live 6 hrs away...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brake Pads...

If you can tolerate the noise and dusting than roter wear would be the only other consideration depending on which pads you are using from PFC. How many HPDE events do you do a year? Is this a car that is driven on the street often? If you are serious about HPDE or track events than I have had very good performance from the Raybestos ST 43 race pads. Very roter friendly with mild dusting and minimal noise and good longevity on my 1994 Corvette. Keep in mind that you do have to put a little heat into this type of pad for maximum efficiency!

·
Registered
6 Posts
HPDE Video

If you can tolerate the noise and dusting than roter wear would be the only other consideration depending on which pads you are using from PFC. How many HPDE events do you do a year? Is this a car that is driven on the street often? If you are serious about HPDE or track events than I have had very good performance from the Raybestos ST 43 race pads. Very roter friendly with mild dusting and minimal noise and good longevity on my 1994 Corvette. Keep in mind that you do have to put a little heat into this type of pad for maximum efficiency!

This is my 1994 Vette at a HPDE event using the Raybestos ST 43 race pads.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Did you pass the camaro, or did he let you around!!

·
Employee of the Year
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My plan is HPDE twice a year (since I live in the middle of nowhere). I drive 6k/year mostly highway miles.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
My plan is HPDE twice a year (since I live in the middle of nowhere). I drive 6k/year mostly highway miles.
Put on a set of Hawk ceramic pads all four corners of the car

You will eliminate all the brake dust on your rims

Bon:nuts:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts