Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving my 74 stingray around for the past few weeks w/no problems w/the brakes. Well I Parked the car in the garage friday night and all was well ,started her back up saturday morning and the brake pedal almost goes to the floor :WTF ?? . Took it down the road and the pedal starts coming back and finally all the pedal was back . Well it has been driven almost 200 miles since then w/no problems,went out tonight to take it uptown and bam the pedal does go to the floor now,absolutely no brakes what so ever . had to gear down and stop it w/the emergency brake-What could be my problem??:bang

Forgot to mention that the week before it happened the 1st time I had the power steering module valve replaced on the car .The one on the bottom of the car on the drivers side,Could this have anything to do w/it?

·
Registered
582 Posts
1992 Vette said:
I have been driving my 74 stingray around for the past few weeks w/no problems w/the brakes. Well I Parked the car in the garage friday night and all was well ,started her back up saturday morning and the brake pedal almost goes to the floor :WTF ?? . Took it down the road and the pedal starts coming back and finally all the pedal was back . Well it has been driven almost 200 miles since then w/no problems,went out tonight to take it uptown and bam the pedal does go to the floor now,absolutely no brakes what so ever . had to gear down and stop it w/the emergency brake-What could be my problem??:bang

Forgot to mention that the week before it happened the 1st time I had the power steering module valve replaced on the car .The one on the bottom of the car on the drivers side,Could this have anything to do w/it?
My brothers '65 used to do that to him too. He never knew when he would have no brakes. Turned out to be a bad master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
TXwayno said:
My brothers '65 used to do that to him too. He never knew when he would have no brakes. Turned out to be a bad master cylinder.
I was going to say bad master too. I assume you do not have hydroboost so your steering curcuit has absolutely nothing to do with the brakes.
You could install a rebuild kit in the master cylinder since it would be a bad rubber that causes the problem or just go out and get a replacement.
You do NOT need to rebleed the system.
You bench bleed the master cylinder, hook up the lines and then remove one front wheel and push the pads back. This pushes what little air did get in the lines at the master cylinder back up where it exits the master cylinder.Do the same with one back.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I have been wanting to get the chrome booster and master cylinder anyhow so now I guess I have a reason to get it:laughing:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Strider said:
You do NOT need to rebleed the system.
You bench bleed the master cylinder, hook up the lines and then remove one front wheel and push the pads back. This pushes what little air did get in the lines at the master cylinder back up where it exits the master cylinder.Do the same with one back.
I learn something new every day. :cheers:

·
Registered
582 Posts
1992 Vette said:
Thanks guys, I have been wanting to get the chrome booster and master cylinder anyhow so now I guess I have a reason to get it:laughing:
My father had replaced the master on my brothers car. We thought that fixed it untill he wrecked it again. NO BRAKES! He had the car fixed and repainted, then sold as is. Years later I ran into the guy that bought it. I asked if he ever figured out the problem. He said that the problem was the Master again. Seems that we got a bad one from the parts house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts