Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, As I sit here in the airport waiting for a delayed flight...:WTF I'll relate what happened on the way to the airport. I got stuck in stop and go traffic for about an hour on the expressway and only went about 10 miles. When traffic finally opened up it was clear sailing for the final 10 miles to the airport. When I got to the off ramp I eased on the brakes and the pedal went almost to the floor!!! I still had some brakes but man did that freak me out. :surprised

Are my brakes toast? What are the chances I will have brakes when I get in the car next week to go home? What do you think happened?

By the way, the to-do list keeps getting bigger and bigger. Added change brake fluid and bleed brakes. . .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Could be a couple of things. Could be a leak in one of the lines or hoses, (you would see fluid leaking on the ground). Could be a bad master cylinder. Could be a leaky caliper. You could also have slipped the lining off of one of the pads, in which case you would hear the brakes grinding on the rotors.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Power brake booster? Master cylinder? Any fluid along the insides of the wheels?

·
Banned
68 Posts
If its a brake booster, then it will have a vacum leak and you will hear it. If its a master cylinder, then your pedal will go to the floor. I had both these issues. When my master cylinder went out for the SECOND TIME**I got a cheap rebuilt one from autozone**, I had to pump the brakes to get better stopping power. I suggest you get all new parts for brake work. I ended up paying double trying to get out the cheap way.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If its a brake booster, then it will have a vacum leak and you will hear it. If its a master cylinder, then your pedal will go to the floor. I had both these issues. When my master cylinder went out for the SECOND TIME**I got a cheap rebuilt one from autozone**, I had to pump the brakes to get better stopping power. I suggest you get all new parts for brake work. I ended up paying double trying to get out the cheap way.

:agree: Good point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there were no grinding or vacuum noises and no fluid on the wheels just very little pedal left. The fluid reservoir was full but the fluid was pretty brown looking. I'll check it out fully when I get home. Thanks for the replies!

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
This has happened to me once or twice before. I've had my braking system checked and there are no apparent problems. Basically, it happens when it is very warm or hot outside and I've been sitting in traffic. The first pump of the pedal is very mushy. It doesn't go all the way to the floor but maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down. After that, it works fine. I truly believe that it has to do with the vacuum but we can't locate any leaks whatsoever.:WTF

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Sounds like the fluid overheated. Might be due to moisture in the system causing a boiling issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like the fluid overheated. Might be due to moisture in the system causing a boiling issue.
:agree: Before you go replacing everything, just bleed the brakes really well. As a matter of fact a complete fluid change may be in order given the age of the car. I'd bet the brakes haven't been bled in a long, long time.

If that doesn't do it, you have an internal leak in the master cylinder and it must be replaced. As someone said get a new GM unit, the saying goes "pay me now or pay me later"

Good Luck,
Hans
:cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts