Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a preference for a certain brand of brake rotor? Just stock 12", no holes or slots. Heard some bad things about cheap aftermarket stuff from China although I understand that no rotors today are made in USA. :huh:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

·
Darwin award nominee
52 Posts
You can get genuine GM OEM rears for $20 ea,
http://www.corvetterecycling.com/C4_Corvette_Rear_Rotor_12_NOS_p/10097655.htm

Unfortunately that site only has the HD 13' front rotors.
http://www.corvetterecycling.com/C4_Corvette_Rotor_Set_13_Front_12_Rear_p/rotorset.htm

Time for a brake upgrade? :thumbsup:
That is where I bought the front rotors for my car (13"), the first ride home after I bought it, I knew the rotors were warped, they were drilled and slotted, couldn't wait to change em out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't mind spending $$ for quality items. After research I find the slotted/ drilled rotors are more for performance i.e. autocross, and the cheap ones can crack and warp. Some buy them for looks and just cruise. As far as upgrading to 13", I don't know if that would work on my car. I have 17" AR Torque Thrusts on it now. I'd rather put the $$ into a good set of standard rotors. Some owners have said the aftermarket rotors like Napa, etc., were better than OEM. Any thoughts??:huh:

·
Registered
597 Posts
i have cheap autozone brakes on my 84.

i went with drilled/slotted baer rotors on the 1990. cost me a little over 500 for all four plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I'm sure they have some Powerslots that would work. Always liked them on other cars, but haven't put them on a C4 before. Little better than stock, and no cracking issues like drilled. Prices aren't bad either.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
. Some owners have said the aftermarket rotors like Napa, etc., were better than OEM.
Better for what?
Some owners talk through their a***s as well
Pad selection it what affects braking

Ask yourself how long the original factory rotors have lasted on your car?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I understand the concept of disc brakes and the part the pads play. However this post is concerning the quality of various rotors on the market and what, if any, experiences other owners may have had. My research has unearthed information about different rotors regarding the thickness of the rotor, the vane size, number and direction as well as whether or not the replacement rotors have holes around the inside hub (most do not) to allow air to circulate, etc. These are variables that, to me, are important in my search for the best rotor I can find for the money I have available. I don't want cheap, no name stuff and I can't afford a $1000 set either. I get your point about the original rotors lasting 20+ years but after all this time, isn't there an improved version? Can't hurt to ask, can it? :nuts:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
but after all this time, isn't there an improved version?
If you are buying high end stuff .
I doubt rotors you are buying from you local parts store ( and priced accordingly ) are going to be state of the art
see
http://www.corvettefever.com/techarticles/corp_1010_corvette_brake_rotors/index.html

All I am saying is if you are going to buy a parts store aftermarket rotor that " meets OEM specs" why not buy the genuine article, especially at the price I linked ?

If you are looking for a upgrade with quality parts at a " reasonable" price consider the Australian made DBA range
Do plain , slotted , slotted and cross drilled and hat style rotors

http://www.buybrakes.com/dba/

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks vetteoz. The two sites you listed were a great help and have cleared up alot of confusion. :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts