Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '88 with an unusual noise when first applying the brakes. I hear and feel a clunk. I would imagine the caliper is loose by the sound of it, but it could be a suspension noise I suppose. Is it possible for the caliper or maybe the pads to clunk?
John

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I think I would be looking for a loose caliper or maybe a bad brake pad. Not something you want to fool around with, if you hear and feel it, most likely something is not right. ;)

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Bob88con said:
I think I would be looking for a loose caliper or maybe a bad brake pad. Not something you want to fool around with, if you hear and feel it, most likely something is not right. ;)
A clunk? Hmm.... is doesn't seem easy for one of the two caliper bolts to back out enough (lots of threads) where the caliper would lift away from the rotor on one end or the other. Not sure about that.

Even so, I'm not sure you'd get a clunk anyway while braking. Seems you'd more likely hear the clunk when hitting a bump in the road.

I suspect it's possibly another issue that is exagerated when the weight shifts to the front of the car while braking. But not necessarily the brakes themselves.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I had a clunk a few months ago, turned out I had a bad bearing that shifted when pressure was applied, just kept getting worse and might of warped the rotor. Had to replace rotor and bearing in the passenger rear. Just a guess, put it in the air and check for wheel movements.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
lots of clunks turn out to be loose end links on sway-bars and loose/worn ball-joints.
but you should get under the car with a torque wrench and check everything.it could be anything the other fellows said also.
there are actually some documented cases of caliper bolts falling out.if that was the case,it wouldn't clunk for very long,it will try to move somewere else......
does it happen when the car is not moving and you push the brakes?:smokin:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does this clunk only happen after you first start up? If so then it's the ABS system check. If not it could be anything from a loose caliper to loose suspension parts. Do you hear the clunk at any other time? Try to listen for it while turning or stopping. Post what you find.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear the clunk every time I apply the brakes. Even if I just barely tap them. Once I'm into brakeing there are no more clunks until I let up fully then reapply. The car has been in the shop for new transmission seals a few days so I haven't had a chance to look into it this week. I pick it up today. This weekend I may get a chance to jack it up for the first time and pull the wheels off for a look at the suspension. I suppose I just grab at suspendion pieces and try to move them or hit them with a rubber mallet. The sound seems to me to be in the left front. I'll post any findings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, My son asn I investigated it futher. It appears the left side brake is making the clunk. Looks like the pads are misssing the anti-rattle spring on one end.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
brock71 said:
Well, My son asn I investigated it futher. It appears the left side brake is making the clunk. Looks like the pads are misssing the anti-rattle spring on one end.
And that made a clunk? I would have thought that'd be more of a whack/clack sound. Interesting.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
:agree:
sure it's not more of a clatter?my 89' brake pads would wear down and clatter the whole time i was driving.it stopped once i applied the breaks,the breaks are only self-adjusting to a point.if there new,they might not be of the best quality....:smokin:

·
Registered
509 Posts
When anti-rattle clips are missing it can produce a sound that can be described as a "clunk" under breaking...
-Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts