Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next Friday, I will be taking delivery of my new C6 at the National Corvette Museum. Bowling green is approximately 600 miles from my home in Kansas City. My plan is to NOT drive the Interstates.

Does the group have any Do's and Dont's they would recommend for my drive back?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
DO drive it like it's a Corvette, which leads to

DON'T get caught driving it like it's a Corvette!

Enjoy the Museum - I was there last week (just visiting - no C6 in my immediate future!).

Steven

·
Registered
277 Posts
Next Friday, I will be taking delivery of my new C6 at the National Corvette Museum. Bowling green is approximately 600 miles from my home in Kansas City. My plan is to NOT drive the Interstates.

Thanks!
Why not the Interstates? Good driving on them and good way to break the car in. Even at 90 mph you are only turning about 2000 rpm. That's not going to hurt the engine. I broke mine in varying the speed from 1500 up to about 2500 rpm for the first 300 miles. Then it was nail it time!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Your pretty much stuck since you took museum delivery, so do as you say and stay off anything that you can't vary the speed a lot. Some lights are good, but stop and go traffic would not a good thing. But to be honest, I picked up mine from the dealer, and completely forgot about breaking it in. I beat on in in the test drive and for the next 400 miles before it occured to me that I totally forgot about break in. Guess what, it run's fantastic, doesn't burn a drop of oil, just the bit that goes into my catch can. But then again I didn't do any interstate driving during that time.

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
i kept my revs under 4k and didnt pass 1/2 throttle until 500 miles, you can drive interstate just keep it under 100 and vary your speed. play with 4th, 5th and 6th at 60-90 mph

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
What my friend the GM engineer told me when I got my C6:

"What I learned when I was working in the garages at GM, was always to vary your speed and RPM (so as to suck oil up onto the rings and cylinders with varying manifold vacuum), no hard accelerations particularly from a dead stop, and no over-revving the engine for at least the first couple of thousand miles (but especially the first 1000). For long life, suggest you consider changing the oil and filter at 1000-2000 miles to remove any sand, grit and chips that may have been left over from the manufacturing process. Very slight chance anything is there but it's cheap insurance. Best insurance for long life of the engine is regular changing of the oil and filter. Please remember what's under you right foot and don't hurt yourself or anyone else with this car "

Good luck with your Vette

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

Thanks!
Congratulations,
I am picking mine up at the NCM 09/05. Anyway I have been asking the same question. Even among people I consider experts opinions vary.

First the brakes, two camps (at least). The first piece of advice, which I am not going to follow, is to “Bed the brakes”. This is a method of rapidly imbedding break pad material into the rotors by attaining a speed of about 50mph and smoothly reducing speed to about 15mph as rapidly as possible without using the anti-lock feature. Repeat this procedure 4 or 5 times and you are done. The second opinion in this area is to be gentle on the breaks at the beginning and end of every stop with the break pressure being applied during the slowdown phase increasing as you break the breaks in. This is what GM recommends and I plan on using this method, however it is your car you choose.

My understanding of engine break-in is that cycles of heating and cooling are desired. As stated by an earlier post you could entirely ignore this and probably have no ill effects. I have also heard “break it in like you plan to drive it” GM does not recommend this. Anyway, varying the RPM without high engine load is desired. My plan is to drive through the Kentucky back and secondary roads shifting at about 2500 rpm with little engine load so the CAGS does not force 4th gear. If I had an automatic I would use the paddles follow the same procedure.

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
:laughing: :laughing:
Congratulation on your new Corvette. I hope you drive it like you want to. The best way to enjoy one is to remember " they are not babes "

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
i kept my revs under 4k and didnt pass 1/2 throttle until 500 miles, you can drive interstate just keep it under 100 and vary your speed. play with 4th, 5th and 6th at 60-90 mph
And just what kind of fun is driving on an interstate...Boreing.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts

Thanks!

Hey I would be more than happy to fly down and bring it back for you.:D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hey Man,

I have absolutely no FRIGGIN Clue on the best way to break-in a new Vette.

However, if it were my new car. I would have to agree with the folks who are saying to simply not rev it up too much, definately vary your speed. I think switching gears at around 2500 RPM is probably a good idea. Enjoy your trip back home in your new vette, since this is probably a once in a lifetime event!!!

Once you get home, go by all of your friends house, show it off. Then go home and get you a nice ice cold BEER, take a lot of picutres of your new Vette. Post all of those pics along with the pics you took on your drive home, so the rest of us can enjoy this wonderful time with you!!!!

Congratulations, have a GREAT trip and a wonderful time driving your new baby home!!!

Dave

·
Registered
690 Posts
Be ready for the CAGS- the first few trips I made with my new '07 I wasn't ready for it, esp b/c I was keeping the revs down. I expected a 1-2 shift and it forced me to 1-4, which lugged the motor a little b/c the revs dropped down. DO NOT FORCE it into second if CAGS kicks in.

I kept my revs under 2500 for the first 2k mi and then have been keeping it under 4000 for the next 2k mi. Didn't worry about the brakes but I have never engaged the ABS, I tend to use the engine alot for braking, esp when someone it riding my ass, which many people seem to do for some reason.

Also, be ready for everyone and anyone to either want to race or see you punch it...I had a tow truck sit at a red light and rev his motor...don't think he wanted to race, just wanted to see me take off fast...he beat me off the line though b/c I don't abuse on my machines just to indulge other people's fantasies, (but then the powerband kicked in and I was able to take him by the next light:laughing: )

A

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The folks at the Museum will also give you advice - and show you everything you want to know about your ride. My wife and I picked up our C6 last May at the Museum and it was an amazing experience. Our favorite part was the factory tour with our own guide.

We drove back to Ann Arbor (also about 600 miles). We drove on and off highways and varied our speed and RPMs. In our case, it also rained all the way home.

Relax, take deep breaths and thoroughly enjoy your special day!! :cheers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am picking up my '08 Jetstream Blue roadster at the Museum on August 27th. I too, have been wondering just what to do on the way home. I live in Montana, and it will be 1500+, depending on just how I go. I want to do the secondary roads too, but worry about the possible construction, and the fact that people will pass and meet you more than on the interstates. The person that says "...don't sweat the rock chips", must own a body shop, or doesn't "love" their Vette. Break in will be done as they suggest. Why go against the people that built it!?

Enjoy your new "baby", and have fun at the Museum Delivery.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The person that says "...don't sweat the rock chips", must own a body shop, or doesn't "love" their Vette.
Yeah, I don't know who that "Patrick" guy is either, what a clown.:laughing: :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts

Thanks!
Congrats - you will have a great experience! My son and I picked up my '07 a year ago next week.

Near the end of your delivery process you will be taken to an office where you will be briefed on all the paperwork, warrantee, key fob and lots of other stuff. You'll sign some stuff there and you will be offered advice about the break-in. They will tell you that the engine is already completely broken in (yeah, well ... sort of), but they will emphasize that the rest of the drivetrain is very green. Early abuse - burnouts - can prevent some of the differential parts from setting the way they should and can lead to unwanted clunks or whines later. There is nothing wrong with driving the interstate as long as you vary your speeds - especially the first 500 miles.

When we left BG, I didn't use the cruise control for the first 1000 miles or so. I changed gears frequently - moving the RPM up and down when otherwise unnecessary, and varied speeds from 55 to 85 in 4th, 5th andd 6th and lower when traffic dictated of course. I changed my oil at 3000 - long before the computer told me to and again near 7,000. So far, just 7200 miles on the od. I've not had a single problem - the rock in the windshield at 450 miles was not the car's fault.

Have a good time. Vary your speeds and RPM.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
While I understand your concerns, it's going to be somewhat difficult, time-consuming and perhaps a bit more dangerous to do your particular trip without getting on to the interstates.

There's no real issue about driving on them as far as breaking the car in, just vary the speeds and gears. The quoted advice from the engineer in the post on page one matches my experience.

You might want to pickup a nose mask to put on the car for the trip home, and consider driving selected interstates on off-peak days and times. If you go north from BG on the Green River Parkway through Henderson and up I-164 to 64, then west on I-64, you won't see all that much traffic until you get to the merge with I-57. From there on, the interstates are pretty much alike and you have to watch your following distance.

Good luck and have a safe trip.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts