Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 87 will break up when it's low on fuel (reserve mode). I obviously know it's fill er up time but is this normal? I figured in relation to were the pick up is in the tank to the low level of gas this should be normal but just wanted to check.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
is this normal? .
Sure is
Hard accel or cornering with 1/4 tank or less will cause fuel to move away from pickup giving bog.
GM build a car that does 1G on the skid pad ('84 ) but has no useful baffles in the fuel tank

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks vetteoz, just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not a good idea to let your fuel level to needlessly get low enough that the fuel pump is getting uncovered by fuel. The fuel pump dissipates its heat into the fuel. No fuel or less fuel to cover the fuel pump as level drops and you will get heat buildup in the pump and that will lead to premature electric pump failure. And that in turn will lead to you opening up your wallet and having to buy a new fuel pump after of course a x number of hours that you have been chasing your own tail trying to figure out why the C4 wont start! :down:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not a good idea to let your fuel level to needlessly get low enough that the fuel pump is getting uncovered by fuel. The fuel pump dissipates its heat into the fuel. No fuel or less fuel to cover the fuel pump as level drops and you will get heat buildup in the pump and that will lead to premature electric pump failure. And that in turn will lead to you opening up your wallet and having to buy a new fuel pump after of course a x number of hours that you have been chasing your own tail trying to figure out why the C4 wont start! :down:
The pickup should be probably set low enough where it shouldn't be a problem. IIRC, someone told me that there were baffles in the C4 tanks.

IMO, that is an old myth. There are many cars where the fuel pump is external. Personally I have never filled up any car till it gets to the "E" mark and that has never been an issue. The fuel that goes thru it cools it, IMO. After all, if it can get that hot in the tank, do you think it would be a good idea to have vapors around it?

·
Registered
197 Posts
The pickup should be probably set low enough where it shouldn't be a problem. IIRC, someone told me that there were baffles in the C4 tanks.

IMO, that is an old myth. There are many cars where the fuel pump is external. Personally I have never filled up any car till it gets to the "E" mark and that has never been an issue. The fuel that goes thru it cools it, IMO. After all, if it can get that hot in the tank, do you think it would be a good idea to have vapors around it?
You are of course welcome to not believe "old myths" but go have a talk to any reputable mechanic or any DIY'er that actually knows what they are talking about and find out for yourself. The external pumps are designed as such so they do not need to be submersed in fuel for cooling.
My boat was designed to be on a lake......but i could take my truck out there for a little while to float. How long will it last doing a boats job? :smack

·
Registered
547 Posts
You are of course welcome to not believe "old myths" but go have a talk to any reputable mechanic or any DIY'er that actually knows what they are talking about and find out for yourself. The external pumps are designed as such so they do not need to be submersed in fuel for cooling.
My boat was designed to be on a lake......but i could take my truck out there for a little while to float. How long will it last doing a boats job? :smack
Fair enough so how do you explain the lack of pump failures I have had in all my cars with in tank pumps? I have never filled up until it is on empty. By that theory, I should be replacing pumps on a monthly basis.

If the pump runs too long without fuel going thru it, you might be right but if your fuel runs out, your engine quits and you have no more power to the pump so it stops.

Sure, it generates heat but how much? If it is that much, isn't having such a hot item in the tank bad?

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
If it is that much, isn't having such a hot item in the tank bad?
Well....the Mexicans call a fuel pump a BOMBA de GASOLINA. I saw it on a pump once. I wouldn't want a gasoline bomb in my tank either. Also, +1 on the fuel pump failure rate if left uncovered. I've had several failures over the years and each time I had let the fuel get way low.

I'm glad you've had no failures yet. Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket or something.;) Wishing you continued good luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Fair enough so how do you explain the lack of pump failures I have had in all my cars with in tank pumps? I have never filled up until it is on empty. By that theory, I should be replacing pumps on a monthly basis.

If the pump runs too long without fuel going thru it, you might be right but if your fuel runs out, your engine quits and you have no more power to the pump so it stops.

Sure, it generates heat but how much? If it is that much, isn't having such a hot item in the tank bad?
I am sure some vehicles are less prone to problem because of tank design and sump area where pump resides. Both scenarios i personally know of which included 2 gm 96,99 trucks with the same tank experienced pump failure the following morning of running engine on nearly fumes the day before. The 99 was my truck! :laughing: Pump failed at 115K and I installed a new ac delco unit and it that truck has 238K on it now with that unit still working great. I never let fuel level get below 3/16 tank. Highly unlikely a "hot" or "warm" pump will ignite a tank. It would if it was glowing red...but i would suspect the fuse to pop before it got to that point.

·
Registered
292 Posts
These fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel passing through it, not being covered by fuel.

Yes cutting out at low fuel is normal. I've been thinking of adding some fuel cell foam.

·
Registered
547 Posts
These fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel passing through it, not being covered by fuel.

Yes cutting out at low fuel is normal. I've been thinking of adding some fuel cell foam.
And if the fuel runs out, engine stops as does fuel pump so it won't burn out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts