Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went after my build sheet today and all I got was a pile of confetti :(
Is it possible to get a copy of my origional build sheet???
or any kind of options list from 1973 for MY car???

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,940 Posts
I don't know if someone like the C3 registry would have access to it or not. The National Corvette Museum only goes back to 1981. Good luck

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow.... Google found several "OFFICIAL" C3 registrys... which one is the best???

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,940 Posts
You might e-mail all of them and see if you get any response. Maybe AlwaysWave would know. Hey Rudy, are you out there?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try C3VR.com. From what I understand Chevrolet did not retain build sheets going back that far. I would love to have a build sheet for my 77. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
JCswm said:
Wow.... Google found several "OFFICIAL" C3 registrys... which one is the best???
:rolling:

The word "OFFICIAL" is used rather loosely on the internet these days.:laughing:

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is nothing available for your car from GM. Your only hope to get some original documentation is to research and locate former owners and hope they kept some of the paperwork. Best way to locate former owners is to take it back one step at a time. Start with the person you bought the car from. Good luck this is one heck of a long shot. There is usually a break in the trail somewhere(death, can't locate, don't have anything,don't remember)that leads you to the end of the line. Most of these cars will forever remain a mystery.

It is real nice to have documentation but you are far from alone if you have none.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm surprised ..... my pontiacs I could get info back to 1965 or so Copy's of origional window stickers, dealer invoices, Everything
why would GM keep better records on a pontiac than the corvettes????

·
Registered
46 Posts
When GM shifted production from St Louis to Bowling Green someone decided that the records from St Louis were no longer necessary. There have been several searches conducted by GM employees but so far no luck. The Pontiac plant is probably still up and running and the records are retained there. You have to remember that these cars were not collectibles back in the late 70's when procuction was moved. 20 years of build records take up a lot of valuable space back then in the paper age.
Hindsight is always the best.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I got my factory invoice for my "St. Louis" 1981 as it was on microfilm. It cost 50 bucks...and I'm trying to find the source. Apparently they transferred some old GM records way back. Anyone remember the name of the place? You can get the invoice of just about anything from the seventies I seem to recall. Just as good or better than the build sheet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got my factory invoice for my "St. Louis" 1981 as it was on microfilm. It cost 50 bucks...and I'm trying to find the source. Apparently they transferred some old GM records way back. Anyone remember the name of the place? You can get the invoice of just about anything from the seventies I seem to recall. Just as good or better than the build sheet.
Oh man, that would be great! If you figure out where that is available from let me know! Would be awesome to see... but if not, I'm happy with having my tank sticker.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Do you at least know the VIN?

Try this out: GM Restoration Package

The Lady on the phone when I ordered mine said it would contain all the original specs of the car when it was manufactured. I told her the color codes were faded and she said they would be in the packet.

Once it arrives I will kow for sure.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Do you at least know the VIN?

Try this out: GM Restoration Package

The Lady on the phone when I ordered mine said it would contain all the original specs of the car when it was manufactured. I told her the color codes were faded and she said they would be in the packet.

Once it arrives I will kow for sure.
I got that package and was somewhat disappointed. I recall it being somewhat generic. I'm looking for the company that I bought my invoice from and will advise.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Here's the invoice info

A letter from the invoice place:

Daniel, the original invoices are archived on microfilm. I have included an example as an attachment in which we have zero-ed out the pricing on purpose. Yours will have the pricing. The following information explains the ordering process for GM Vehicle Invoices. The General Motor Dealer Invoice service is managed by Allied Vaughn, a tier one supplier of GM. For copies of a GM vehicle invoice, please email the attached request form to [email protected] . As of March 1, 2005 the cost for this service is $50.00 per invoice. If paying by credit card, your account will be charged within two business days of fulfillment. Fulfillment is expected to take 2 to 3 weeks. If paying by check or money order, please mail your check or money order and a copy of this form to:Allied Vaughn11923 BrookfieldLivonia, MI. 48150Attention: GM Vehicle Invoice Check or money order payments may cause a delay in fulfillment, as it must clear before your order is shipped.Invoices are available for vehicles* in the following model years:Chevrolets since 1977, Pontiacs since 1987, Buicks since 1982, Cadillacs since 1980,Oldsmobiles since 1977, GMC since 1976

Sorry looks like your 1973 invoice would not be available. But contact them anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
build sheet

I just read on the corvette museum site that build sheet records from St. Louis were transferred to Bowling Green. They were then all lost in a fire.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...build sheet records from St. Louis were transferred to Bowling Green. They were then all lost in a fire...
That's BS. St. Louis did not keep the records. Bowling Green was not supposed to keep records either, but they did. Plant managment personnel got permission from GM to donate what they had to the museum. The museum has build records for most - but not all - Bowling Green built C3s.

For 77-81 cars, you can try to obtain a copy of the original dealer invoice for your car from the Allied-Vaughn folks. Here's the link: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/infosearch/index.php?cmd=area

Here's a sample invoice for a '77:

As the rest of us have learned, there are no GM records for the 68-76 cars. The NCRS may have dealer delivery information for some VINs, but the info is only name and address of the original receiving dealer, zone and dealer number, and the date the car was listed as "complete" by GM. This can be helpful if you have no informatoin on your car, but many of the dealers listed in the NCRS information have been out of business for several years. As an example, my 68 was delivered to Jim Booher Chevrolet in Louisville, Kentucky some time after April 22, 1968. Having grown up in the area, I am aware of the name, but Jim Booher Chevrolet went out of business several years ago. The site is now Tafel Motors.

Reminder: other than the tank sticker, copies of build sheets have been found tucked in the wiring behind the speedo/tach; tucked in the wiring behind the gauge cluster; behind either kick panel; tucked in the springs under a seat; and under the carpet in the rear storage area.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Reminder: other than the tank sticker, copies of build sheets have been found tucked in the wiring behind the speedo/tach; tucked in the wiring behind the gauge cluster; behind either kick panel; tucked in the springs under a seat; and under the carpet in the rear storage area.
I`ve even heard some were wrapped around the rear struts and some were under the rear spring cover. Mine was on top of the tank where they are supposed to be. The missing piece was unreadable and unremovable and had to be scrapped along with what was left of the tank.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...I`ve even heard some were wrapped around the rear struts and some were under the rear spring cover...
Tom Russo (Hunt4CleanAir) published this one ('78):

81 production at St. Louis. They would not have lasted long taped to the tank:

Wonder where this copy went?

:surprised

JET: You aren't missing anything of importance in the missing portion of your sticker. The "good stuff" is typed across the bottom and is farily legible.
:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tom Russo (Hunt4CleanAir) published this one ('78):

81 production at St. Louis. They would not have lasted long taped to the tank:

Wonder where this copy went?

:surprised

JET: You aren't missing anything of importance in the missing portion of your sticker. The "good stuff" is typed across the bottom and is farily legible.
:)
My tank sticker was glued (not taped) the same way and it was still there after 30 years and almost 85000 miles. The missing part of my build sheet was the part that was glued, the rest was just hanging there just like that white `81 I`m guessing the buildsheets that weren`t glued to the tank were removed because someone wanted to check something and then he\she\it\whatever had to put it back wherever their superiors wouldn`t see it when the body was dropped and the tank could no longer be reached.

The page where you found those pictures states that the pictures were taken during the 1980 production run, but the 1980`s had a polished aluminium stripe on the rocker panels and those exhaust manifolds looks like the factory tubular headers which I thought only were used on the 305 California Corvette. I could have been sure what year those cars were from if they had taken a few pictures of the interior, but no. I guess that was way to easy:smack

Does anyone have a perfect copy of a ca. 1980 build sheet? Some of the stuff written on mine is very hard to read and I`d like to reconstruct it. By the way my car still has every option written on that piece of paper except for the 225\70 tires, the radio and the battery. And the standard emission stuff. We accidentially misplaced it last winter:laughing:.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts