Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
heres a good street/strip build up combo for a 454 with 10:1 compression for a car in the 3400-3800lb range, this will work very well in a 454 corvette to kick butt on the newer zo6 corvettes
first read this,(yes you can use either oval or rectangle port heads but the oval ports have a slight advantage in low rpm tq, and yes of course the intake port type must match the heads your useing , and yes the intake is higher than stock so you might need a hoodscoop to clear it)
http://home.hiwaay.net/~ppatter/patrick_budd_article.htm
the idea here requires a total engine rebuild with 10:1 forged pistons and a 150-200hp nitrous kit, but youll be in the 550hp before the nitrous
if your going to run nitrous you need forged pistons and a cam DESIGNED for nitrous plus headers and a free flowing unrestricted exhaust system.
now in a car like a camaro, 73 el camino or a big block corvette that weights in that 3400-3800 lb range I would install 4.11 rear gears,a 3000rpm stall converter,good traction bars and a well built trans like a 4L80e or th 400
Id port those heads and add the larger 2.19/1.88 valves, Id run an EDELBROCK rpm airgap oval port intake and a 850cfm vacume secondary carb.
THIS CAM
http://www.crower.com/misc/cam_spec/cam_finder.php?part_num=01320&x=39&y=10
or
http://dab7.cranecams.com/SpecCard/DisplayCatalogCard.asp?PN=133841&B1=Display+Card
and a large capacity BAFFLED oil pan with a milodon windage screen,
2" full length headers and a good ignition system with CROWER stainless steel ROLLER rockers and CROWER COOLFACE solid lifters, if you follow the suggestion carefully youll be faster than mid twelves you ask for if you can tune at all.
remember its MANDATORY TO CHECK EACH AND EVERY CLEARANCE, and the valve train geometry

BTW THE merlin heads, OR MANY OF THE OTHER LARGE PORT AFTERMARKET BIG BLOCK CYLINDER HEADS ARE EASILY WORTH AN additional 60-80 HP OVER STOCK CYLINDER HEADS

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Grumpy,

I looked at the cam links you provided, but could not tell if they were hydraulic or solid lift. Which would you recommend for a weekend driver? I am building a 454 for my 78 Vette. I plan on punching it out .060 over to achieve a 468 CID. I want it to be drivable engine with an attitude, but happy with pump gas.

Thanks for all of the info!

Bill

G

·
What if you have to stop or turn to keep with that Z car?... hehehe...:partyon:

Have you looked at the World Products www.worldcastings.com engines. They have some small blocks (and certainly their big blocks) that would stomp a Z06, even if you did have to turn or stop...

·
Registered
746 Posts
matchframe. I am a fan of solid cams. You can get alot more out of a solid cam then a hydraulic and I set my lash in the spring and it holds until fall when I put the car away and back off the lash. If you know how to set the lash it is really easy. Turn the motor over 2 times and all valves are set.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Thanks Norval,

I have used both hydraulic, and solids, but I am really leaning towards solids on this motor. Since this is a weekend fun machine, I can justify adjusting the lash once in a while. If this were a daily driver, I think I would lean more towards the hydraulic mainly for the one-less-thing-to-do maintenace thing.

Your Vette sound pretty radical, what all have you done to it?

Bill

·
Registered
60 Posts
I love my factory GM crate LS7 454. It's not installed in a Vette. It's in my 72' SS Nova. I was told 510 HP in the crate and with the bolt on mods I figure I'm in the 600 HP range. I'm going to get it dynoed for rwhp #'s. :thumbsup:
I am getting a little tired of picking up CAM II race gas, but I love the smell.
Tranni is TH400 with ATI 8" 4800 stall converter
Rear is Ford 9" with 411 and Detroit Locker
Suspension is Adjustable ladder bars with adjustable coil shocks and 90/10 in the front.

Check out mt pics. :thumbsup: :buhbye:

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
1 - 8 of 8 Posts