Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
My local club got me to post this history of my shed to give some people ideas on setting up there shed, so I thought I may as well put it up here too. Here are some pics and info on how I built my ultimate workshop/showroom.

Below is two finished photo's showing the overall layout of the garage. Its 8.4mtrs x 4.4mtrs with a 3mtr ceiling. This size encompasses a 1.8mtr wide x 3.6mtr tool room in one corner.

All the walls are laminex coated chipboard sheets screwed to the wall (I bought cheaply in bulk from Sydney). I have a total of 28 daylight 1200mm tubes which a single circuit breaker can just handle. It uses surprisingly not a lot of power when on. I then screwed 3mm thick opal acrylic sheets to cover the light fittings, all light fittings where worked out and installed before the wall went on to fit neatly between the studs. Any stud area without a light had 30mm thick foam inserted. The floor was waterproofed to stop ground water and then tilled with a high quality ceramic tile and black grout.

The dehumidifier size was worked out to the square meterage of the room and the one I bought to suit the room cost $599.00 which I got locally.

The garage door was a challenge because garage door people don’t give a sh*t about sealing the door properly to stop/slow air flow. After talking to lots of garage door people they all agreed that a standard roller door sealed better that a panel lift as long as you seal the top which I did. The top I built is basically a stud frame with laminex board screwed to it and built in a way if a new door is required half an hour and the frame is unscrewed.

Security being the final thing was obviously a standard alarm on both doors (there are no windows the dehumidifier keeps the air fresh). Then I used a solid wooden internal access door with obviously double locks. Then I went a bit nuts with the garage roller door. Internal locking latch on the inside.

Then on the outside I had a small drain at the edge of the door so I got 5mm plate steel cut to size fabricated a long hinge at the bottom and dual locks at the top and got the whole thing galvanised. The double locks inside the “draw bridge” are from the a mate who works for the navy and supposedly connot be cut with any bolt cutters. The base is 4 stainless threads (with fabricated bolt cages) that were concreted in with the slab and welded on after bolting down.

All that to keep this little baby safe I didn’t regret a cent.

I am not a builder and built the whole thing on my own (except where licensed tradies were required) and it took approx 7 months using weekends and one week off work.

Thanks for reading.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Very nice looking.

Now, is this mostly storage, or do you plan to use it to work on the car too?

Are the floor tiles up to handling falling objects, jack stands, etc?

You must have a lot of moisture issues there.

I have a detachted two car 25x35 work shop off my house. Its nice because the house has a standard 2 car garage and I am able to use it just to park things, no work goes on there.

Late 05 into 06 I did a remodel of the workshop. I wish I had though of the light panels the way you did because I suffer for good lighting in there.

On a serious budget, I mixed drywall, chip board, paint...and kitchen counter tops (pre made) with homemade cabinet doors to create my spaces and built a closet to house the air compressor. The one thing I am really lacking is a nice floor surface. Our shop has a full bath which is nice because it keeps dirty feet and hands out of the house, but the floor is just painted red.

I would LOVE to do the white/black floor like you have - at least in the bathroom and office area. I've seen where some will paint that on the floor - but I know that will get beat up too.

I installed a insulated garage door two weeks ago. Now when I turn on the a/c - it really holds the cold stuff in there better.

Like you, if anybody takes the time to think the Corvette Shed through and executes it right, it will make everything else go easier in the future.

Now...I can't wait to see all your trophies and poster size show pictures of your car along those brilliant white walls!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I work on the car all the time in there installing a VBP Slalom kit right now

If you break a tile (which I have never done) its about a dollar and a half hours work to replace. I do put a rubber mats under my hoist and stands but.

Tiles are great to work on you slide around under the car very easily and clean up is so easy.

I live about 200 mtrs from the beach, this is why ive done what I have. No Humidity, No Salt. NO RUST

Why dont you post some pics as well 69myway im sure theres some people out there that would love to see some over peoples ideas. It was so hard for me when i got started I coulded find any info on the net or anything.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Here you go:

This is what you see when you come in the personel door. What you can't see to the right is a work bench with a vice over a cabinet set. I also have nut/bolt bins along the wall to the rigth. To the left as you come is is a 4'x4' closet that houses the upright a/c compressor.

This is the bathroom. I installed two deep sinks. One on each side of the bathroom wall. One services the bathroom while the outer one services the main shop.

Another shot as you go into the bathroom

From this view you are looking back at the compressor closet.

This is looking at the shop side deep sink, tool closet in the corner and cut outs built to house the tool boxes.

Here is a look at the compressor closet:

This is what it looks like from the outside from the back porch pool area and the street:

The white fence is there until my son learns how to swim - then it comes down.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Beautiful Shop

****:
You did a great job on your shop. I love how clean it looks, and you did a stand out job on the lighting and especially the door. It shows the extra effort you put into it.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Nice shed ****:thumbsup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
no burnout marks in the driveway? it must of just been paved a fiew days ago right? :laughing: some great lookin workshops you guys have.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
:surprised :surprised

Mick70-72 & 69MyWay

Nice...........Real Nice.........:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts