Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know how many of our members here are audiophiles like myself, but I just thought I would share my new mods with you all.

Hopefully by Friday this week all of the following should be installed in the mighty Z06.

-Alpine 7845 head unit.

-CDT 6.5" midrange w/ 1" tweet in front doors

-JL Audio 10" W6 sub built into custom stealth enclosure

-Phoenix Gold Tantrum 600watt 4ch amp
(sending 125w to CDT's and bridged 300w to sub)

This system should kick some ass!

I will let you all know how it sounds!:partyon:

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Let me know how the CDT's sound.. Did you get those for $150?

I have an Eclipse 5303 Headunit, Orion HCCA 5s fronts (5-1/4 and tweet)

a set of infinity tweets in the rear (wired 180) and a set of Earthquake EQ6s for subs..

All powered by an A/D/S PH12 (25watts per channel) 6 channel amp

It actually sounds great for the lower clean power. I am also using the A/D/S 642CSi crossover that works with the Amp very well

I have wanted to go to the CDTs since I have heard so many good things about them. I also need to relocate my front tweeters, once I get them in a good spot, I might be able get rid of the rear tweets..

only problem is my PH12 is non-bridgeable

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jeff, yes I did get them on sale for $149. I am also hoping they sound as good as everyone is claiming.

Why don't you go with a different amp?

The PG amp that I ordered is a $500 plus dollar unit, but I can tell you a secret that will get you that amp for $319! Its a fantastic amp.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Wow:surprised now you can listen to your Barry Manilow's in style:thumbsup:

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:
Hey Jeff, yes I did get them on sale for $149. I am also hoping they sound as good as everyone is claiming.

Why don't you go with a different amp?

The PG amp that I ordered is a $500 plus dollar unit, but I can tell you a secret that will get you that amp for $319! Its a fantastic amp.
I would love a different amp.. but this thing is Awesome sold for over $400 new and I got it for FREE..

I am watching a PH15 on eBay, it is 50w 6chan and is bridgeable

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AlwaysWave said:
Wow:surprised now you can listen to your Barry Manilow's in style:thumbsup:
:laughing: Yeah and I am currently listening to the soundtrack from the movie Freddy vs. Jason with nothing but heavy ass metal on it...no Barry Manilow here bud!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hell no Timmy. I'm not gifted with electronics like yourself. I am having a professional install the entire system. A place called Soundz Plus in Warrenville.

Im still waiting on the amp, sub and box to arrive!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well everything has been installed into the car.

For not really having time to tweek the system, it sounds INCREDIBLE!

Check out all of my pics in the gallery of the custom install job!

That little 10 inch JL sub really hits!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:

That looks great BLM. Now your really riding in style.:partyon:

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:

What do you think gives more to the incredible sound..

The location of the speakers or the speakers themselves.

I think I need to move my tweeters in my car to see if it sounds better.

I am guessing once I find a good spot for them It will be a lot better.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think a combo of both Jeff.

The CDTs are very bright and crisp, but at the same time, I dont think they would sound as good if the tweeter was not mounted up higher than the mid. My leg would simply block the sound of the tweet. Having it up higher and seperate, gives the system better sound imaging I think.

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
-=Jeff=- said:
What do you think gives more to the incredible sound..

The location of the speakers or the speakers themselves.

I think I need to move my tweeters in my car to see if it sounds better.

I am guessing once I find a good spot for them It will be a lot better.
Jeff,

#1 timbre matched (don't mix/match speaker brands - but subs can be different). If they aren't matched, you'll FOREVER be trying to EQ the system. And, some speakers will have a tendency to dominate if they are significantly different in tone/sound than the rest.

#2 Component balance (cover all frequencies without overdoing any particular range... don't do 4 tweeters, 2 mid-range, and 8 subs)

#3 location for best imaging... you should not be able to tell where the speakers are with your eyes closed. It should just fill the car with sound with good seperation.

#3 component speakers themselves.

#4 amp technology (ability to handle peaks in music without straining). And, good power by default, with no need to crank the gain control thereby increasing THD.

#5 small/tight subs. 8" preferred, 10" ok. One sub is usually good for one car.

#6 Lastly, invest in a test CD and SPL meter from radio shack. Sit in the driver seat, turn OFF the sub, and get a test CD that can play noise. Watch your meter and turn the volume up to 75 Db.

Then, turn ALL of the speakers off, except for the sub. DO NOT change the volume control. If you have a gain control on your head unit, set it at the half way point (if it is 1-10 do 5) Now, running JUST the subwoofers, run a subwoofer test track off the test CD.

Dial in your sub for 75 DB by starting at zero gain ON THE SUB AMP and increasing the gain on your amp up as needed until you hit 75 db. If you can't get it below 75 Db, you have way to much bass. Set the sub amp to the lowest gain possible, then change the gain on the head unit to 10.

Then, bring the head unit gain down until you hit 75 DB. Now, you have a system that will ACCURATELY reproduce music.

Lastly, run the frequency-sweep track. That'll run a tone from 25,000 hz down to 20 hz. By listening to the sweeping tone, you can hear if you have any gaps or weakness to play certain ranges, or if some ranges are overboard (you can then play with crossovers or EQ ranges down).

Ok, I'm rambling at this point.

I think it is A-1 critical to first get your system set up to play music ACCURATELY. Leave it like this and don't mess with levels/settings for 2 weeks. You'll get used to how music is SUPPOSED to sound.

Lastly, resist the urge to monkey with the EQ after you get it dialed in. You'll forever be chasing your tail trying to get the system to sound "right".

:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts