Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Where's the big machines that put these cars together you ask? They are on a lunch break!

Below, notice the Prowler parts. They were built by hand at CAAP along side the Vipers.

B

·
0 Posts
Them pictures dont mean shiznit honey pie....I need writen documentation before I buy you a round.:stick:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
That's a pretty reasonable price for a car built by hand.
That 2nd picture looks like two mirriors reflecting each other.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you feel like it, you can take apart your Viper, and more often than not the body panels are signed by the proud workers who put them on!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From PVO....

Bill Adams is one lucky hombre. For starters he gets paid to mess some of the most outrageous performance cars built in recent history. Then, at the weekend, he gets to jump into the most awesome Dodge Viper ever built, and fire himself down the quarter mile in 8 seconds at over 150mph. Jealous? Just a little…

Bill has spent the last 30 years working for the Chrysler Corporation and currently holds the position of Head Mechanic with the PVO. That’s the ‘Performance Vehicle Organisation’ to you and me. With a staff of around 150 people it is responsible for hand-fabricating Daimler Chrysler prototype vehicles. Recent projects have been the 500bhp Viper SRT-10 convertible and the Neon SRT-4 Turbo which boasts a 220bhp motor. Previously, Bill was also part of the original Team Viper, which first built and developed the Viper back in the late Eighties.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
looks cool to me.there are a few c5s running around with the panels signed,i never checked mine....no offense,i really dont care if there signed or not:stick:

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
VPRSNAK said:
. With a staff of around 150 people it is responsible for hand-fabricating Daimler Chrysler prototype vehicles. Recent projects have been the 500bhp Viper SRT-10 convertible and the Neon SRT-4 Turbo which boasts a 220bhp motor
Yes both of those vehicals where "prototypes" and hand built before the production version...when i think hand built as in Rolls-Royce and Bentley i think of interiors and hand making the steering wheels, seats, and whatnot that goes on the cars....they put over half a day into making just one stering wheel with gold plates fork to make intentions so the person making the wheel knows where to put the stitch....i know i have the artical..now i just need to find it

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, that probably was not the best article to quote from. I did a quick search, and that's what presented itself. Here's one last attempt at that free round...

Whether you believe me or not, Vipers are built by hand. There were a whopping 1,800 that were built as 2003 models. That number is consistent with other build years. Look at the last picture and tell me where you see the machines that take the body part to the car. There isn't one. It's the dudes working there who do it. While I have not been to the plant myself, I know plenty of people who have, and they say it's a treat to talk to the guys and gals who put Vipers together while they are doing just that. If you're gonna pick apart every little thing, then no, it's not built by hand. Did they make the speakers by hand? I doubt it. Did they make the radio by hand? I doubt it. Did they make my key fob by hand? I doubt that to. ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
BLM pay up :cheers:

B

·
0 Posts
Ok, Ill give you this one.

Whenever I finally meet Tracy your first beverage of choice is on me.

I just think of "hand built" a different way I guess...sort of like Punk was describing w/ the Rolls.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:
Ok, Ill give you this one.

Whenever I finally meet Tracy your first beverage of choice is on me.

I just think of "hand built" a different way I guess...sort of like Punk was describing w/ the Rolls.
:agree:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts