Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WASHINGTON -- Former President George W. Bush says in his new memoir that he considered running for re-election in 2004 without Dick Cheney as his vice presidential candidate. After much thought, he ultimately decided to keep Cheney on the ticket.

Bush said he wanted to put an end to assertions by critics that Cheney was the real decision-maker and to "demonstrate that I was in charge."

He writes that he spent weeks exploring the possibility of replacing Cheney with Tennessee Sen. Bill Frist, who was Senate majority leader. But he says he valued the qualities Cheney brought to their partnership and finally decided to stick with his vice president, who agreed to run again.

The former president makes the revelation in "Decision Points," which is due in bookstores on Nov. 9 from Crown Publishers. The New York Times obtained an advance copy and reported on the book on its website Tuesday night.

The book is not a conventional memoir, but rather a reflection by Bush on important decisions and moments in his life, including the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and the war in Iraq. But it is traditional in the sense that Bush defends his presidency, including his decisions to lead a multinational coalition into war in Iraq and to authorize the use of harsh interrogation techniques on captured terrorist suspects.

Bush also expresses regret for his sluggish response to Hurricane Katrina in 2005, for agreeing to reduce troop levels in Iraq after the initial invasion in 2003 and for nominating his friend, attorney Harriet Miers, to the Supreme Court.

He writes about having "a sickening feeling" upon learning there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and says "cutting troop levels too quickly was the most important failure of execution in the war."

Bush also recounts the pressure he felt from Cheney to pardon I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Cheney's former chief of staff. Libby was convicted of lying about his role in the case of the leaked identity of a CIA operative Valerie Plame.

Of Cheney, Bush said that while his vice president had helped with important parts of the Republican base, he had become a magnet for criticism from the media and the political left. "He was seen as dark and heartless, the Darth Vader of the administration," Bush wrote.

He stuck with Cheney.

"I hadn't picked him to be a political asset; I had chosen him to help me do the job. That was exactly what he had done," Bush said.

When the CIA sought permission to subject professed Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed to a form of simulated drowning known as waterboarding, Bush said his response was, "Damn right." He added that the interrogations saved lives.

The book makes clear that Cheney nudged Bush toward war.

Bush writes that Cheney "had gotten out in front of my position" with an August 2002 speech dismissing the prospect of further inspections and says he ordered Condoleezza Rice, his national security adviser, to rein him in.

Cheney also disagreed with Bush's decision to fire Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld after the 2006 midterm elections, when the Iraq war was going badly. Cheney also pushed for a pardon for Libby. Bush already had commuted Libby's sentence.

After he decided against a pardon, Cheney lashed out at Bush in private, accusing the president of leaving "a soldier on the battlefield."

"The comment stung," Bush said. "In eight years, I had never seen Dick like this, or even close to it." He said worried their friendship was fractured, but that it eventually survived the dispute.

Excellent peek under the covers.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Oh come on, none of these "memoirs" tell anything new or accurate. :rolleyes:

I will take the Kitty Kelly version, at least it's entertaining.. :laughing:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am anxious to read it.

This was the most telling statement in the teaser for me,
After he decided against a pardon, Cheney lashed out at Bush in private, accusing the president of leaving "a soldier on the battlefield."

Illustrates Cheney's disregard for Justice and shows Cheney thought he was at war with the US Citizens and the Justice Department.

If Cheney had those disparaging remarks because Bush would only exonerate Libby and not Pardon him, I wonder what he thinks now that Bush has thrown him under the bus.

:cheers:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
If Cheney had those disparaging remarks because Bush would only exonerate Libby and not Pardon him, I wonder what he thinks now that Bush has thrown him under the bus.

You mean you wonder what he thinks as he drools between his carrots and his peas? Bush's memoirs will be an important piece of the history puzzle, but it's time for the country to move past the Bush/Cheney hatefest.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
I am anxious to read it.

This was the most telling statement in the teaser for me,

Illustrates Cheney's disregard for Justice and shows Cheney thought he was at war with the US Citizens and the Justice Department.

:agree:

I'm gonna buy this.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I'll wait for the made for TV version with Will Farrell playing W. :devil:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
He was not indited on a single charge pertaining to the case. How the hell is a "Bush hating which hunt"... (meant to fabricate a further and deeper hatred for Bush... perpetrated by the left) -an illustration of a disregard for justice ? There was no justice ! The left instigated a purp walk... for political gain. THAT !... was the real illustration and disregard still held by the same today.

Clarity... my friend. -Because you and I are not going to agree in any way, about this.

·
Registered
589 Posts
simulated drowning lol poor guy doesnt get it. Waterboarding is drowning and id love to exactly what he said. No hear say on it saved lives lets see what he said.

·
Registered
589 Posts
He was not indited on a single charge pertaining to the case. How the hell is a "Bush hating which hunt"... (meant to fabricate a further and deeper hatred for Bush... perpetrated by the left) -an illustration of a disregard for justice ? There was no justice ! The left instigated a purp walk... for political gain. THAT !... was the real illustration and disregard still held by the same today.

Clarity... my friend. -Because you and I are not going to agree in any way, about this.
Sorry buddy Dick, Karl and Scooter said a undercover spy and the top person on Irans WMD programs was fair game. They attacked a CIA agent because they didnt like her husband telling the truth about a yellow cake lie.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Fine... that's your belief. It still does not nullify my factual point that he was not indited on a single count of the original charge. Not one !

As to the "yellow cake"... brother, we have put this myth of no WMD's to rest many times before.

Water boarding is simulated drowning... show me any evidence to the contrary. It's a scare tactic... not torture.

This is torture...

boiling to death, flaying, disembowelment, crucifixion, impalement, crushing, stoning, burning, dismemberment, sawing, or necklacing.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Fine... that's your belief. It still does not nullify my factual point that he was not indited on a single count of the original charge. Not one !

As to the "yellow cake"... brother, we have put this myth of no WMD's to rest many times before.

Water boarding is simulated drowning... show me any evidence to the contrary. It's a scare tactic... not torture.

This is torture...

boiling to death, flaying, disembowelment, crucifixion, impalement, crushing, stoning, burning, dismemberment, sawing, or necklacing.

Libs don't have the guts for it. ;)

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Sorry buddy Dick, Karl and Scooter said a undercover spy and the top person on Irans WMD programs was fair game. They attacked a CIA agent because they didnt like her husband telling the truth about a yellow cake lie.
Office coffee girl.. :lookinup: :laughing:

Spin baby Spin!

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
simulated drowning lol poor guy doesnt get it. Waterboarding is drowning and id love to exactly what he said. No hear say on it saved lives lets see what he said.

Before the water boarding he was saying "allahu akbar", after the water boarding he was saying everything they wanted to know. Probably even told them what his favorite flavor of camel is.

Simulated drowning beats a neck blowing bubbles every time.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You mean you wonder what he thinks as he drools between his carrots and his peas? Bush's memoirs will be an important piece of the history puzzle, but it's time for the country to move past the Bush/Cheney hatefest.
It is never time to suppress the truth. Bush's memoirs opens the door a bit. But there is still a lot to learn about this presidency as with most other presidents.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

What does this have to do with Bush's memoirs or his disclosures about Cheney?

No lib helped him write his memoirs. It is what is is.

Your statement appears to be a smoke screen and not an honest attempt to address what Bush said:huh:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
My statement simply showed agreement with Cheney... and countered your assessment (not Bush's or some libs) that Cheney has a disregard for justice. I agree with Cheney... Bush was wrong. This in no way diminishes my championing of Bush as one of our greatest presidents.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My statement simply showed agreement with Cheney... and countered your assessment (not Bush's or some libs) that Cheney has a disregard for justice. I agree with Cheney... Bush was wrong. This in no way diminishes my championing of Bush as one of our greatest presidents.
So when Cheney accused the president of leaving "a soldier on the battlefield." What did you think he meant??

You think Bush was betraying the cause by not pardoning Libby? You think our court system should be able to have convictions overridden for Political reasons?

You are right we will not agree on this one. I believe a convicted criminal is a convicted criminal and who is in office should not impact that conviction. Commuting Libby's sentence was wrong in my opinion but does not remove the restrictions of being a convicted felon.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
So when Cheney accused the president of leaving "a soldier on the battlefield." What did you think he meant??
I think he meant that Bush was trying entirely too hard to find common ground and appease the left -to find accord with those that would not value the motive. But... that was Bush. (the part and reason his detractors call him stupid, for...) That was what made him great... right or wrong. He wanted everybody to get along for the continued greatness of this country... unlike the narcissistic values and motives our current president and those of his like ideology, possess. He underestimated those he thought had the same vision for the continued greatness of country... -We see that now... -or are you still a fan and the champion of compromise and middle-ground ?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think he meant that Bush was trying entirely too hard to find common ground and appease the left -to find accord with those that would not value the motive. But... that was Bush. (the part and reason his detractors call him stupid, for...) That was what made him great... right or wrong. He wanted everybody to get along for the continued greatness of this country... unlike the narcissistic values and motives our current president and those of his like ideology, possess. He underestimated those he thought had the same vision for the continued greatness of country... -We see that now... -or are you still a fan and the champion of compromise and middle-ground ?

I have never been a fan of compromise but I am a fan of Justice and our legal system. Something Cheney obviously had disdain for and thought the acts of the Libby should have been dismissed even though he was a convicted felon.

If Bush’s memoir is true Cheney's response was far more than an attempt to say Bush was too nice. :laughing::laughing:
My opinion hasn't changed. I think Bush and Obama are failures as Presidents and both had/have too many Crooks in trusted positions.

Nice spin though, I ask a question about Cheney and you respond with a defensive statement about Bush.

I am anxious to read Bush memoirs. The few excerpts I have read have been very good.

For the record, I will say it again I am for lack of a better word a "constitutionalist". I do not support additional Federal Laws or taxes. I do support a reduction in the Feds meddling with States authority. I do support a revamping of the Tax Code. I do support a strong Military and Border Control.

Call me anything you want but, I do not wear blinders when looking Left or Right. The old saying "You are either part of the solution or part of the problem" applies to both the Republicans and Democrats. The big two Political machines have forgotten about true Conservative and Liberal values. I see the Tea Party as a glimmer of hope but I am still suspicious.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts