Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bit the bullet and bought the K&N aircharger kit for the C6 Z06.

Preinstall runs measured with a MSD DashHawk

0-60 time.......3.49 sec
1/4 mi time ...11.6 sec
1/4 mi speed...121.71 mph

The kit ran about $370 locally here in St Joseph. A little higher than internet prices but no shipping charge and easy return if some thing goes wronger. It was delivered to me in a fairly good sized box. It contained all the parts plus the filter sealed in another box inside.
Well packed and not much chance of any damage in shipment.

The first step was to disconnect the negative battery cable.

Then removal of the maf connector and crank case breather tube.
the maf connector has a light colored retainer on the bottom that must
be removed first.

Then remove the connector and vent tube.

After that loosen the clamp holding the air bridge to the throttle body. lift up ant out of the car.

I know this would be a good time to clean that area...:laughing:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next remove the 2 screws holding the MAF to the old unit. I am not sure
what these are called but they are torx with center pins. they are not tight so I used a small flat blade screw driver for removal.

Then remove the MAF sensor.

Reinstall the MAF sensor in the K&N housing these screws are hex metric
and install the crank case breather fitting using the supplied grommet.

Next in stall what they call an air deflector in the front of the unit. The only thing I see this is for is to keep the thing from collapsing. They say it prevents turbulance...

Attach the filter using the provided clamps and silicon hose.

Attach new silicon connector hose to the throttle body using provided clamp then install the new aircharger. reattach MAF connector and locking clip.

Connect crankcase breather tube. Then check every thing again before reconnecting the neg battery terminal.

Numbers after install, runs measured with a MSD DashHawk

0-60 time......3.32 sec
1/4 mi time...11.37 sec
1/4 mi speed...124.82 mph

These times are not to be taken as 100% accurate But as a comparison between before and after
installation. They were ran on the same road in the same direction and the temp was with in
10 degs, 65 for the first and 75 for the second.

Even though there was no seat of the pants feeling for improvement. I was pleasantly surprised
with the numbers...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Nice Install

Now what does the dashhawk say?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now what does the dashhawk say?
Numbers before install, runs measured with a MSD DashHawk

0-60 time.......3.49 sec
1/4 mi time ...11.6 sec

0-60 time......3.32 sec
1/4 mi time...11.37 sec

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Numbers before install, runs measured with a MSD DashHawk

0-60 time.......3.49 sec
1/4 mi time ...11.6 sec

0-60 time......3.32 sec
1/4 mi time...11.37 sec
$370 well spent. :thumbsup: :devil:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Excellent writeup and pictures.

On removing the light grey colored clip that locks the MAF sensor in place, how do you get it out? Squeeze it or pry it out? :surprised

Also, I noticed using the stock filter, the area where the filter sits seems to be constrictive as far as getting air. No wonder the K&N can breathe so much better.

Then remove the MAF sensor.
Thanks,
augydog

·
Registered
448 Posts
Iburke, great post! Is your car otherwise stock or do you have a tune? Seems like you would of felt sop difference with those time changes. They where pretty substancial:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ivan,

Sweet write up! I'm a little suprised you couldn't feel a minor difference too, but I guess when ever you hit the throttle you pretty much aren't paying attention to anything but keeping it between the lines! :surprised

Don't know if you caught my post...I'm going to be up in my hometown this weekend as my Dad and I are going to be polishing the Vettes. (First time to use Adam's...Dad has a '02 black coupe, mine the '00 FRC) Don't know what kind of plans you have, but if you want to take the ZO6 out for a spin, your only 45 mins. from there front door! Just jump on 36 and head towards Kansas...I'll tell you when to stop!

Here is my thread!
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77443

James

1N189

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent writeup and pictures.

On removing the light grey colored clip that locks the MAF sensor in place, how do you get it out? Squeeze it or pry it out? :surprised

Also, I noticed using the stock filter, the area where the filter sits seems to be constrictive as far as getting air. No wonder the K&N can breathe so much better.

Thanks,
augydog
the clip pulls out a bit and then the sides are unclipped by very carefully using a small pick to pull them out a small amount with out breaking them. If you have trouble you can carefully pick the stock unit up and turn it over on top of the engine, so you can see what your doing easier.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Iburke, great post! Is your car otherwise stock or do you have a tune? Seems like you would of felt sop difference with those time changes. They where pretty substantial:thumbsup:
I was surprised also as I could feel the diff when I put a
K&N on my C5. But I guess when your pushed back in you seat on acceleration a little more push does not make much difference. And you are busy keeping it on the road. Dan wont let me go off roading any more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A very good, well documented, informative post. HOWEVER, I'm surprised you didn't mention the PITA worm clamps K&N provide for holding the actual air filter in place. I've written to them but no good news to report. I finally had to employee help to get them things to work!! Anyone know where one could get some worm clamps about 23 inches long? Thanks, Dennis

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A very good, well documented, informative post. HOWEVER, I'm surprised you didn't mention the PITA worm clamps K&N provide for holding the actual air filter in place. I've written to them but no good news to report. I finally had to employee help to get them things to work!! Anyone know where one could get some worm clamps about 23 inches long? Thanks, Dennis
I pondered that problem and forgot to include my solution sorry. Using an elect screw driver with a socket to fit the screw clamps. Straighten the ends of the clamps, then using the driver to hold the screw end wrap the clamp around and insert the end while hitting the button on the screw driver and wallah it will turn right into place. Trying to put them on any other way by your self is near to impossible. I agree that just an inch longer clamp would have been great.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ivan,

thanks for the awesome DIY! It came in very handy late this afternoon.

Really appreciate it,

Les

1 - 20 of 25 Posts