Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm off today and the temp is going to be near 80 after weeks of unusual cold for this area. I've already washed the vette this morning and plan on giving it a coat of Adam's Buttery Wax (Don't have the Americana yet), and VRT where needed. Every time I wax, I follow with detail spray. it seems to even out the finish - less wax swirls, etc. But I always wonder if I am removing a significant amount of the wax I just put on. Hoping Junkman, Dylan, or someone else in the know will see this and give me an informed answer. Hope the weather turns warm for you soon, whereever you are!:buhbye:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I'm off today and the temp is going to be near 80 after weeks of unusual cold for this area. I've already washed the vette this morning and plan on giving it a coat of Adam's Buttery Wax (Don't have the Americana yet), and VRT where needed. Every time I wax, I follow with detail spray. it seems to even out the finish - less wax swirls, etc. But I always wonder if I am removing a significant amount of the wax I just put on. Hoping Junkman, Dylan, or someone else in the know will see this and give me an informed answer. Hope the weather turns warm for you soon, whereever you are!:buhbye:
I don't think you're removing very much if any wax at all. Basically all you're doing is enhancing the effect of the Buttery Wax. If you were running Waterless Wash over it after waxing then I could see where you may remove some wax, but even then not a great deal. This is all my first hand opinion. We can wait for Dylan or AJ to confirm.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You won't be removing any wax if you are apply the Detail Spray after you remove the Buttery Wax.
My question is what do you mean by even out the surface and less wax swirls. You should not have any swirls if you are waxing properly.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You won't be removing any wax if you are apply the Detail Spray after you remove the Buttery Wax.
My question is what do you mean by even out the surface and less wax swirls. You should not have any swirls if you are waxing properly.
By the time I get to the end of the process, all of my microfiber towels have wax in them and I have a hard time getting rid of that sheen. I know....the answer is more towels, but that would require being properly prepared, and that would require getting my dental assistants home to do it for me. They order my world. :laughing:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Hey Tex, All detail spray is for is to take off water spots and dust particles from waxing the car. The spray gives you a wet surface to keep you from scratching the paint. When I had my shop, we used a product called "Flint Glaze" after wax to remove any light swirls.

A car, new or old, with good paint should never need to be wheeled. You should start at one corner and wax around the car twice. Then if you need to, hit it with detail spray to take off
cloth dust. Always be extra careful not to get wax on any plastic or abs parts. Its just too time consuming to get off.

·
Supporting Vendor / Car Care Sponsor
637 Posts
I guess what your asking is does Detail Spray 'strip wax'??

No it doesn't, neither does Waterless Wash.

The only thing I'd caution you against using over the top of Buttery is Brilliant Glaze... glazes contain solvents (by definition) and as such they'll degrade the wax a little while they cure. This is why we recommend Glaze be applied UNDER waxes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I guess what your asking is does Detail Spray 'strip wax'??

No it doesn't, neither does Waterless Wash.

The only thing I'd caution you against using over the top of Buttery is Brilliant Glaze... glazes contain solvents (by definition) and as such they'll degrade the wax a little while they cure. This is why we recommend Glaze be applied UNDER waxes. :thumbsup:
I always use Brilliant spray glaze on top of my Buttery wax.
I think it enhances the shine of the wax.

As far as using detail spray on top of the buttery wax immediately I say why???

The buttery wax always comes out looking awesome.
I use detail spray to remove light dust and to give the paint a kick of shine when I go out for a cruise.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
By the time I get to the end of the process, all of my microfiber towels have wax in them and I have a hard time getting rid of that sheen. I know....the answer is more towels, but that would require being properly prepared, and that would require getting my dental assistants home to do it for me. They order my world. :laughing:
When I wax my vette I only use two microfiber towels to buff it out.
I constantly shake out my towels to keep them soft.
I never notice any build up of wax on them.

Possibly you are applying too much product or you're not using Adam's

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I wax my vette I only use two microfiber towels to buff it out.
I constantly shake out my towels to keep them soft.
I never notice any build up of wax on them.

Possibly you are applying too much product or you're not using Adam's
Hmmm. Guess I'm going to have to check my technique. Maybe putting too much on. Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I learned to use a very light coating of wax, and do approximately 2' x 2' areas at a time. I spread the wax on with an appropriate applicator, then go over it with a good quality microfiber towel to distribute it in that area. After a short time, I buff it out with a high quality cotton towel.

I also like to have several clean cotton towels available, which I find makes the whole process go quickly.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I use the old Adam's trick that I learned from him a long time ago (except with Americana) after any application be it Swirl & Haze Remover, Fine Machine Wax, Machine Super Wax or Buttery Wax, I let the PC do the work of removal. I lay a plush micro fiber towel on the car, place the PC pad on the towel leaving enough towel material to wrap the handle and some to put on the body of the buffer to also hold on to. This sure makes it a lot easier and you don't exert a lot of muscle and effort. I can normally remove all of the product with 2 towels.

·
Supporting Vendor / Car Care Sponsor
637 Posts
More towels is definitely recommended. Just like applicators, buffing pads, etc. towels get clogged up with residues... if you're using the same towel thru the whole process it doesn't really stand a chance.

I use 1-2 single softs on each polishing step, and 1-2 double softs for wax removal.

Less is more when it comes to application as well. A very common mistake people make is assuming that more is better - it isn't. A thin, even coating is much better than a thick one... the product will cure and perform better as well as be easier to remove. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Also, are you washing your towels, and washing them properly, between applications?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, are you washing your towels, and washing them properly, between applications?
Well, I wash a little light on the detergent to keep from leaving detergent behind. Then I do the double rinse cycle to get all possible detergent out. How should I be washing them?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use Woolite and warm water to wash. I air dry or run them in the dryer with no heat.

Don't use fabric softener or wash with cotton.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts