Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to get some PPG in the morning. Does anyone know where to look for paint codes? 1985 Coupe Gold. I'll look around the web until I hear from someone.
Also, we are down to the nitty gritty on this. the painter probably thinks I am crazy. I'm hanging around everyday asking questions looking the prep over ... oh my God he is helping... yes I am doing a little to help it along. I have taken film all the way through. Its not that I don't trust the painter, I have seen several of his jobs, but this one is mine.
He says the gold as needed. Then two coats of clear. Plus some gold glitter(for lack of a better word, gold flakes so small they float in the sunlight like dust) The gold dust is sprayed on with a third coat of clear, he says, then lastly a fourth coat of pure clear again to cap the dusted coat. Does this sound right? I think he mentioned 3 quarts of clear? I've been a real pain in the *** this far why stop now. He says he definitely wants me in attendance for the painting. Film will be rolling.:excited: Roger

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Sounds like a paint job you'll be proud of
POST SOME PICS!!!

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
That sounds awsome. Everytime I read posts about people getting new paint it reminds me that my Vette's paint is horrible. One day.. :)

Don't forget to post those pics!

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts

13 Silver Metallic B/C B8402
18 Medium Gray Metallic B/C B8321
20 Light Blue Metallic B/C B8322
23 Medium Blue Metallic B/C B8323
40 White B/C B8469
41 Black B/C 99
53 Gold Metallic B/C B8327
59 Frost Beige 45205
63 Light Bronze Metallic B/C B8324
66 Dark Bronze Metallic B/C B8325
81 Bright Red B/C C8508
13/18 Silver Met/Medium Gray Met B8402/B8321
20/23 Light Blue Met/Medium Blue Met B8322/B8323
63/66 Light Bronze Met/Dark Bronze Met B8324/B8325

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Codes...

Where did you get this information? I guess I do not get around the web like I thought I could. I did come up with a 53/wa7725 gold metallic clearcoat. maybe it is the same. we will see.
thanks, Roger

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
THat gold with alll the clear and the flake in the 2nd to last coat???
THat is gonna be incredible:thumbsup: :cheers: :cheers:

Make sure we see all the picks from start to finish.:cool:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hoping this turns out well...

that's just it I don't know what is a lot of clear and what is not, or normal. Then the painter says things like 3 qts. of clear altogether. I saw a truck at a auto show a while back that supposedly had 10 coats of clear. it looked very nice, purple, couldnt tell where the glow stopped and the paint started without touching it. now that was someone who spent a lot of cash for a show quality job. I'm not necessarily looking for that. Of course, I want the best job I can get. just wish I knew more. One thing I believe is the prep is 90% of the deal, so I am being vocal about it. I actually gave a twenty to the fella that was actually doing the sanding, and told him to take care of my baby. They have had the car for three weeks now. after putting off paint day three times I think the prep is pretty thorough. he probably thinks I will be the customer from hell if I have to come back for problems. So, d day is now Monday. keep your fingers crossed for me. Pictures soon start to finish if you want that many.
:cheers: Roger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts