Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2012 ZR1 on Saturday. The average car out there for sale only has 20,000 miles so not much has gone wrong with them yet. These cars are a bit out of my price range and I was looking for a Z06.... But this one was offered to me and it has 70,000 miles on it for a killer price. I do know that a brake job on a ZR1 costs $6,500 on these cars. Normal cars that were not road raced have never had to do a brake job and they claim the rotors last the life of the car. But who else has put 70,000 miles on a ZR1 to actually find out? Just like the clutch, everyone I have talked to has said their clutch is still awesome after 30,000 miles and some hard driving. But what about at 70,000 miles? I don't want to buy this car and 3 months later dump $8,000 into a clutch and brakes. What other items should I be concerned with? The owner says he took amazing care of it and it was driven on long trips I assume. He said he travels on business trips and puts alot of miles on his cars. I believe he buys a new vette every 4 years and just drives the **** out of them. Are the shocks also something to worry about? I hear that is a very expensive part on a ZR1. Anyone who owns one of these cars please chime in.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
ZR1 brake rotors are claimed to last much longer than steel rotors but I'm not sure if it's for the life of the car under normal driving conditions. Pads are supposed to last about 70k. People who do track their cars won't get anywhere near that....most claim to get about 5-6 track days on a set of front pads. Rotors for the ZR1 run about $1600 EACH. I have read that some people claim you can swap out the CC rotors for steel ones to save a little money....but I don't know anyone personally who has done that.

I wouldn't worry about the clutch...unless of course the owner didn't know how to drive a manual. :laughing:

I owned a 1991 Cavalier Z24 and the original clutch was still going strong at 245,000 miles when I got rid of the car.

Much like other high end cars, repairs on the ZR1 are costly. And as the saying goes, if you can't afford the repairs don't buy it. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
First time in my life that I heard someone compare a 1991 Cavalier Z24 clutch to a 2012 ZR1 clutch. WOW! Talk to someone who owns one.

1baduramax
RFenton1
MrZippy
BAADC6

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
First time in my life that I heard someone compare a 1991 Cavalier Z24 clutch to a 2012 ZR1 clutch. WOW! Talk to someone who owns one.

1baduramax
RFenton1
MrZippy
BAADC6
First time in my life I heard someone make an incorrect assumption.

I was merely stating that if a Cavalier can go 245,000 miles on a clutch then the Zr1 shouldn't need it replaced at70,000 miles. WOW!

Some people are to critical I guess.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First time in my life I heard someone make an incorrect assumption.

I was merely stating that if a Cavalier can go 245,000 miles on a clutch then the Zr1 shouldn't need it replaced at70,000 miles. WOW!

Some people are to critical I guess.

:rolleyes:
I replaced my clutch in my SS camaro 20,000 miles after owning it. Car was a bran new car but drag radials did it in. I have a feeling that clutch was barely rated for the HP the car came with stock. Hopefully a ZR1 clutch is a bit more beefy. I heard its a twin disc.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
I replaced my clutch in my SS camaro 20,000 miles after owning it. Car was a bran new car but drag radials did it in. I have a feeling that clutch was barely rated for the HP the car came with stock. Hopefully a ZR1 clutch is a bit more beefy. I heard its a twin disc.

I know there was a recall on early ZR1 clutches....if I remember correctly it only affected a few hundred 2009 cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, but as much as possible, I don't want to get a used car. Maybe because I had a bad experience purchasing one before. But, if you really want to buy one, I suggest that it should be from your close friend , relatives or really recommended to you by your trusted car mechanic. Although, I found some users good comments about ZRI online.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I would find a Corvette shop where you can bring it in for a thorough inspection by mechanics who know the ins and outs of that car. It might cost you a few hundred dollars, but worth it in the long run.

Good luck!

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Kenny is spot on. I've had every Corvette I've purchased inspected first. Then I know the good, the bad and the ugly with fewer surprises and headaches down the road. Inspections are worth every penny.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts