Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I said good by to a newer Siverado...:buhbye:

He had it built to some degree because I could hear the exhaust and the turbo spooling...he just couldnt keep up because he was so darn heavy...:crazy: He was at least two and half cars behind me, which I guess wasn't too bad for his weight he was pushing. Also had a passenger too, but so did I. But she is only a buck if anything...lol

I don't even know why anybody would try with a vehicle that weighes in that pigish. My wife even asked if he was serious when he was pumping it next to me.

Oh well....he learned a valuable lesson. :laughing:

:partyon:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Why did he do it? That's easy. He will either tell his friends he beat a Vette or he will insist he had you till the last few feet. Either way, he gets to act like he's in the league with a Vette.:crazy:

·
Banned
6,799 Posts
Some of those hopped up diesel pickups can really run hard from 40mph- 120mph C5 Dude.
The Tuner handheld programmers I have seen allow 22ps-32 psi Turbo Boost.
Weight is not on thier side but if you sleep stabbing the gas racing the other guy will hit 30psi boost in 2 seconds.
Could get a nice lead on you.

Some of these diesels running around have 50-60psi Turboboost.
Hp output over 1,000,
The Hellcat Anology. Enough Torque & Hp weight no longer an issue.

Good Job C5 Dude. :partyon:

·
Banned
6,799 Posts
The reason for Crazy obtainable Turbo Boost on diesels these days C5 dude is Diesel Fuel does not have an Octane limit like gasoline.
Diesel fuel is Cetane rated.
As long as correct Amount of fuel is injected in a Diesel engine keeps making more HP With more boost.Limit is the crankshaft strength .
Some are experimenting with 100psi turbo boost.
2 Turbos in series & Intercooled.

Race Is on . Like it or not.
Vette is being attacked from everyone & everywhere.
Why C7 is unimpressive to me.
No Factory 1400 Hp. Wheelie bars... Drag Parachute...
Guaranteed 8.0 flat 1/4 mile.
Still slow as is to me now.

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason for Crazy obtainable Turbo Boost on diesels these days C5 dude is Diesel Fuel does not have an Octane limit like gasoline.
Diesel fuel is Cetane rated.
As long as correct Amount of fuel is injected in a Diesel engine keeps making more HP With more boost.Limit is the crankshaft strength .
Some are experimenting with 100psi turbo boost.
2 Turbos in series & Intercooled.

Race Is on . Like it or not.
Vette is being attacked from everyone & everywhere.
Why C7 is unimpressive to me.
No Factory 1400 Hp. Wheelie bars... Drag Parachute...
Guaranteed 8.0 flat 1/4 mile.
Still slow as is to me now.
You know what B, that's so true. I have a dually Chevy 3500 at work with a Banks turbo controller that can make that thing spin the duallys. It's pretty quick. He could have hoped I would lay off thinking he had no chance. Couldn't tell if he had a diesel. Might have been.

·
Banned
6,799 Posts
You know what B, that's so true. I have a dually Chevy 3500 at work with a Banks turbo controller that can make that thing spin the duallys. It's pretty quick. He could have hoped I would lay off thinking he had no chance. Couldn't tell if he had a diesel. Might have been.

We are workng on practicle Do It yourself Turbo power adder kits on Grumpys website.
Phil & myself.
Both in Favor.
Grumpy favors BBC For everyone but its a hardsell .
I have that 427 Tall Deck BBC still.....maybe...Turbo.

I think its the future for C3-C5 & maybe C6 here.
Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I've seen 11 sec diesel turbo's at the track:surprised

Tree huggers will puke at all the black smoke pouring out of those twin stacks for 1/4 mile:laughing:

An 11 sec anything will contend with most vettes on the road.

Beware.

·
Banned
6,799 Posts
I've seen 11 sec diesel turbo's at the track:surprised

Tree huggers will puke at all the black smoke pouring out of those twin stacks for 1/4 mile:laughing:

An 11 sec anything will contend with most vettes on the road.

Beware.
Those late model Big Diesel Ford, Chevy Duramax's & Dodge Cummins are pretty amazing yes Matt.
They have so much torque on tap that often break the Full floating Rear Dana 70's & 80's.
Snapping the Huge pinion gear shaft in half on street play burnout launches.
1,000-1500 Flywheel foot lbs of engine torque off idle.
Told the Sterling Ford Rear is near bullet proof.
And the Blue Bird School bus Eaton Rockwell rear diff that is just huge.
Think a 15-16" inch diameter ring gear setup.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My neighbor just finished up his twin turbo setup on his cummins. He has two turbos feeding each other. He said he lost some hp switching from his previous setup, but is still making 750+ hp and over 1200 lb-ft torque. He said that the twin setup reduces EGTs and spools up much faster.

I also saw the system he copied his setup from. It was in an old landcruiser. The owner has a full cummins drivetrain with a custom bagged 4 link front and rear suspension. that thing looks butt ugly but is wicked fast. He has the exhaust stacked out of the hood with a flapper on it.

I would bet something like that could put any of these high hp cars to the test. Especially if they put it in 4wd to get max traction at the line.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
9 sec turbo diesel truck.
That's haulin' the mail for sure. I'll bet the Toyota Prius green drivers don't like him very much. He just laid down more pollution than the next 10,000 Prius' will save.:D It'll all average out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts