Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me who for sure has MOOG made in the US front suspension components for sale. I am trying to rebuild the front end and I hear they are the best. I have seen a lot of places that sells them but I want to know for sure I am going to get the ones made in the US.
Thanks in advance for any help....

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you want the best price Rock Auto mail order. I did the 81 front last winter and O Rilley auto parts had everything in stock. All moog, stamped made in USA on the box and the parts

·
Supporting Vendor
3,776 Posts
Rock Auto had the best prices on the USA ones. I did a search and went through this a couple of years ago. NO ONE at the time was selling the USA MOOG in kit form. One well known vendor( not a vendor here) was selling the imported cheap MOOG as the USA ones. Do a search you should find a lot on info on this going back several years.
The USA MOOGs are double the price of any of the others and there is one one upper and lower USA joint for the vette, the numbers are on them and the uppers are the high hats.
The last full MOOG front end set I bought cost me over $400 at the time. All parts are individually sold, again you have to make up your own kit.
Now compare paying double for say lower MOOG joints to the common lower joints found in the kits. A lot of the imported kit joints were failing under 1000 miles of use. The MOOG price isn't so bad then compared to replacing joints again.
Good luck, buy AMERICAN while you still can.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
Rock Auto had the best prices on the USA ones. I did a search and went through this a couple of years ago. NO ONE at the time was selling the USA MOOG in kit form. One well known vendor( not a vendor here) was selling the imported cheap MOOG as the USA ones. Do a search you should find a lot on info on this going back several years.
The USA MOOGs are double the price of any of the others and there is one one upper and lower USA joint for the vette, the numbers are on them and the uppers are the high hats.
The last full MOOG front end set I bought cost me over $400 at the time. All parts are individually sold, again you have to make up your own kit.
Now compare paying double for say lower MOOG joints to the common lower joints found in the kits. A lot of the imported kit joints were failing under 1000 miles of use. The MOOG price isn't so bad then compared to replacing joints again.
....without question that is FACT....people balk when you
tell them the price of USA made Moog parts and thats from
experience .....:agree:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rare Parts in Stockton, CA took over the Moog tooling and makes USA made Moog parts. There not cheap but the quality is there.

They also have lots of NOS Moog parts.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
When I bought my Moog four years ago it cost me 651 dollars for the entire front suspension and all mine are the USA brand. Advance Auto sells the USA.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Several of the big parts houses sell the good stuff, but you have to get them to show it to you to verify. Bought the cheap stuff for my wife's car two years ago and had to replace them at 8k (coincidently, it was 13 months since installation, one month after the warranty expired).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would You say then that R A has the US made type now days. I read a lot of threads and there is some people saying that a lot of auto parts say US made in the box but the parts are actually made somewhere else (Inferior quality).
Do You know if "Moog Suspension Parts" sells the good ones?
They have all the parts I need on their website.. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
bought mine from Rock Auto a few months ago and had an interesting experience. Read through this thread:
MOOG Ball Joint ID

Total price for all 4 ball joints was $167.39

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mine came from summit.

I just replace the chinese bj in my upper VBP A-arms. You cna see the difference.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Not cheap, but worth it in not having to replace them after a couple of thousand miles.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just bought all of my Moog from Amazon last night. I saved about $18 over Rock Auto even with a 5% off. Rock Auto was going to ship from three different locations totaling $21. That's what killed it.

Do I have to double check everything to make sure it's not inferior Moog? Is there crap Moog out there?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,776 Posts
Mark there is only one type of MOOG USA joints, those that I show in the other threads. There are other MOOG but they are not the same nor do I believe they're made here.
Look them all over when you get them.

I went through a big hassle about 3-4 years ago with this. My local NAPA Swore their ball joints were the USA Moogs only reboxed in NAPA boxes. I had 30 people lined up to buy them because the priced quoted were in the imported kit range. Too good to be true. When the parts came in I took over a USA MOOG to compare, no comparison at all, Chinese parts marked right on the box. The parts guy had no idea what he was selling as long as he made a sale. I worked as a parts counterman years ago and not much has changed other then we used to stock all USA made parts then. The countermen back then knew more then todays counter part but the goal is still sell it today think about returns tomorrow.
When I was looking locally I checked about 20 stores, independents and chains, none had the USA Moog due to cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My review of many of the threads here and the other, the MOOG joints I just got from amazon.com, look identical to the ones posted by Gary/others. I ordered from amazon.com after not getting moog joints from a vender from "OTHER SITE" when there kit was advertised as "THE MOOG KIT" they said it was a typo error

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mark there is only one type of MOOG USA joints, those that I show in the other threads. There are other MOOG but they are not the same nor do I believe they're made here.

I went through a big hassle about 3-4 years ago with this. My local NAPA Swore their ball joints were the USA Moogs only reboxed in NAPA boxes. I had 30 people lined up to buy them because the priced quoted were in the imported kit range. Too good to be true. When the parts came in I took over a USA MOOG to compare, no comparison at all, Chinese parts marked right on the box. The parts guy had no idea what he was selling as long as he made a sale. I worked as a parts counterman years ago and not much has changed other then we used to stock all USA made parts then. The countermen back then knew more then todays counter part but the goal is still sell it today think about returns tomorrow.
When I was looking locally I checked about 20 stores, independents and chains, none had the USA Moog due to cost.

I remember that Gary! I was in line to buy some of those joints and you eventually sent us all onto RockAuto. I still have them in their box waiting for me to get the control arms together. LOL

·
Registered
11,227 Posts

...we are a small independent store and USA made Moog
is only ordered by request that we get from out suppliers
and we verify they are made in the USA, usually just the
old school guys order by request, pricing is definitely an
issue...:thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,776 Posts
...we are a small independent store and USA made Moog
is only ordered by request that we get from out suppliers
and we verify they are made in the USA, usually just the
old school guys order by request, pricing is definitely an
issue...:thumbsup:
That's too bad and not good to hear. My son works in a parts store but most of what they carry is the cheap stuff made overseas.

When I worked in parts we stocked MOOG, DELCO,STANDARD, ECHLIN,and a lot more I forgot. All made here, the only chinese we had in the building was sometimes for lunch! A lot has changed and none for the betterment of the average american.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Every one thinks they are saving money on all of the China junk, But in the long run it has to be replaced againg in a short period of time and costs more in the long run... not only in the replacment cost but to lost jobs in our country,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts