Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone was driving my 75 yesterday about mile into it the rear wheels just locked up. I was unable to even push the car to the side of the road. I was able to get it back home. I have been trying to figure out what is wrong. I took the caliber off and tried to turn it (nothing). Took the brake pads out from the other side still (nothing). There was nothing out of the ordinary only that it came to an immediate stop. I looked at the emergency brakes it appears to have lots of shoe left doesn't appear to be seized. The cable under there looks pretty bad and there is no emergency brake when you pull it up inside. I The Transmission was just rebuilt in it as well. I got into the car cranked it up and put it in gear hoping with no weight I would get something to move. Nothing it just boggs down and kills the motor. Come now I need some help to put me on the right track to get er fixed. Thanks Dean

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Next I would try to isolate the problem further. Disconnect the drive line and push it slightly forward to clear the flange. You should be able to tell if it's the differential or transmission by turning the flange. Go from there.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,764 Posts
Disconnect the driveshaft at the differential pinion yoke.
See if the pinion moves, if not disconnect the 1/2 shafts at the diff and try again.

Most likely it is a backed out ring gear bolt or a broken posi. Once the diff is disconnected from the shafts it should freely move, if the parking brakes are broken and jammed up typically the diff will drive through them. With the shafts free of the diff the wheel should move free as well.

Look up my diff threads here in the tech page for pictures that might help you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Differential broke or you're stuck in 2 gears in the trans, usually reverse and a forward. Disconnect the driveshaft like GTR said, start it, let out the clutch.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I'd say do all of the above, that's a good diagnostic procedure. One other possibility is that one of the hub bearings in the trailing arm has failed and locked up. These hub bearings have a history of failing, usually because the lubricant (grease) has broken down. Several outfits make a re-greasing tool but it is a PITA to use. To find out for sure, remove the half shafts and see if the rear wheel(s) will turn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts