Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what everyone is saying it sounds like the C6 will actually be more of a C 5.5 . How will teh wheelbase be extended if it runs on the same chassis as the C5? Also the dash looks very square in design (similar to the Cadillac CTS/XLR theme), I need to see it up close to see how I like it. If it is less confining that the C5 that will be great? Anyone know if navigation systems will be standard? How about night vision? What will the color scheme be of teh C6's dash?

I love this site and you are all really nice people!

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
jerseyvette said:
From what everyone is saying it sounds like the C6 will actually be more of a C 5.5 . How will teh wheelbase be extended if it runs on the same chassis as the C5? Also the dash looks very square in design (similar to the Cadillac CTS/XLR theme), I need to see it up close to see how I like it. If it is less confining that the C5 that will be great? Anyone know if navigation systems will be standard? How about night vision? What will the color scheme be of teh C6's dash?

Jerseyvette, I'm sure glad you like the site. :)

There is no confirmation on any of the C6 features, but I agree with you that it's a C5.5 . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
:agree: it seems to me kinda like when the c4 went to different bumpers and the LT1 engine.but it was still a c4.of coarse i'm judging this by the spy-photos.i'm still not certain that those are even c6s in the spy-photos.could just be test cars with fake dashes and panels,but could have the power train in there for testing.they could have built 15(however many test cars there are)of these a couple years ago in anticipation of hidding the real c6.sure does seem to be super top-secret for a car that ressembles a c5.but what do i know:rolleyes:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C.5.5 continued

It would be great if the white test cars were just C5s with C6 guts. However that would not make sense as the hood and rear windows (and interior) are different. When they tested the C5 there was a C4 (same exact body) running a C5 drivetrain. I think that the spy photos are fairly accurate. Doesn't the C5 production stop about now in Bowling green? WHen I was there in the spring the Cadillac XLR tooling was already being set up. I really hope the dash uses more space age technologies in the C6. If you see the 98-03 Cadillac Seville's they combine digital with analog which I really like, that would look neat in a C6. I also really liek the newer Bvalgari desigh dashes in thd caddy XLR, they would be surely welcome in a vette. I may be a bit too much into teh bells and whistles but a vette deserves the best interior available!

Go Chevy and make a Viper Eater for us!! (With a Ferrari interior)!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Well My opinion Has changed. I as you know use to think the C6 was going to be a C5.5 But After watching the Interview with Dave hill My opinion has swade to a New Car. In that interview Dave said that the C6 Z06 isnt supposed to be a Viper Eater. Dave said that they arnt looking to make the Fastest thing on the road they are looking to make A Good Well rounded Car with Good Preformence. Which I think is Awesome. The Viper has Tons f HP but hows the handling , Breaking and Lap times. The C6 Is going to be a Fast Well rounded Car with great Handling, Breaking etc.. You guys should really Watch the interview With Dave Hill its a little long but he talks threw out the Video about the C6. So here it Is....Dave Hill Interview

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
jerseyvette said:

You just don't know us yet. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Just kidding. I think you are right about the 5.5 If any of the spy pics are even close, it does'nt look like any major changes are being made. I'll bet it'll just be a few minor changes and then maybe next year a new style. We'll see. :rolleyes:

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Excellent interview. I've never heard him speak before.
Dave Hill is a really likeable guy.

This showed how much he and his group care about the Corvette. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
jerseyvette said:
From what everyone is saying it sounds like the C6 will actually be more of a C 5.5 . How will teh wheelbase be extended if it runs on the same chassis as the C5?

My info is that the chassis is a redesign (new tooling) of the C5 chassis. It uses the same technology (Hydraformed sandwich laminate backbone) as the C5.

The Dave Hill interview was cool. I had the pleasure of meeting him and John Cafaro at a drive evaluation of the C5 at the Desert Proving Ground in 1995. They were both very likeable and knowledgeable guys.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Re: C.5.5 continued

jerseyvette said:
It would be great if the white test cars were just C5s with C6 guts. However that would not make sense as the hood and rear windows (and interior) are different. When they tested the C5 there was a C4 (same exact body) running a C5 drivetrain. I think that the spy photos are fairly accurate. )!
I believe the spy photos are of the actual car. At this late stage in the game, they SHOULD be able to build an entire car on the factory production tooling. I emailed one of the spy pics to my friend inside GM and he said that was the actual car. He said the only mystery left is the front end design, because they have a couple different variations running around (maybe the base Corvette will have one front end design and the high performance car will have another?)
When they put the 97 drivetrain in the C4 you could still tell it was was not a normal C4, because they had to move the rear wheels back to fit the torque tube and transaxle. They also ran C5 powertrains in Camaro bodies to accumulate test miles between 94 and 96. They were the goofiest cars you ever saw.

Times like this I miss working for the General. It was cool knowing what was coming before anyone else, even if I couldn't spill the beans. Now I'm on the outside like everyone else waiting.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Loggins1 said:
In that interview Dave said that the C6 Z06 isnt supposed to be a Viper Eater. Dave said that they arnt looking to make the Fastest thing on the road they are looking to make A Good Well rounded Car with Good Preformence. Which I think is Awesome. The Viper has Tons f HP but hows the handling , Breaking and Lap times.
The only category the Viper has ever ruled over the Z06 is straight line (drag race) acceleration. On a road course, the Z06 eats the Viper's lunch. I hope the new performance Corvette option will inch ever closer to even taking the acceleration crown away from the Viper. The guy I know in GM Powertrain says they have test mules that are REALLY fast

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
I agree with Dave Hill.

The Corvette is about balance and overall performance. Great brakes, handling, acceleration...

To have a goal of "beating the viper" in acceleration is simply unnecessary.

Like it was said above, the Z06 will mop up a Viper on a road course.

Corvette were never meant to be drag race cars.... or it wouldn't be geared for top speed!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts