Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don Sherman has been in the Car Rag business for a VERY long time. His connections and sources are much deeper than he dares report in print. However, he made an appearance on 'Autoline After Hours' TV show recently and shared some VERY Inside information. He told of 3 challenging issues that surfaced during the C8 development:
  1. All GM products are shifting to a new electrical architecture—the means by which 100 or more computer modules per vehicle communicate on what’s called a CAN (computer area network) bus. Engineers are having difficulty working the bugs out of the new Global B party line serving Corvette and several other new models.
  2. A structural distortion of the aluminum spaceframe experienced during testing a prototype equipped with the 900-1000 horsepower twin-turbo V-8. The twist in back was enough to fracture the glass hatch covering the engine.
  3. Some unspecified disagreement between those who design Corvettes and the development engineers who push them to the far corners of the performance envelope. It could be a visibility issue, some ergonomic shortcoming, or a cockpit design issue.
Corvette Blogger's take is quite similar to what you have seen posted on DC in the past:
The ZORA model (which we call the highest performance variant of the C8) includes a combination of electric motors with a twin-turbo V8 to make 900-1,000 hp and apparently the massive torque was causing the twisting of a frame member and cracking the glass engine cover. ...the frame issue was solved long ago with the help of GM’s Cray Supercomputer which analyzed the frame structure and identified the areas that needed reinforcement. GM’s plans are to use just one chassis for all C8 models so now the base “Stingray” model will have the same reinforcements as the ZORA model.

We do think that the recent sightings of the car with Mark Reuss in Yuma, along with Tadge, Harlan and Alex in San Diego lead us to believe whatever issue 3 was has been resolved by now as well. You don’t fly the GM President half-way across the country to ride in a car with issues, you fly him out there to ride in a car in which the issues have already been fixed.

...the timing and location of the C8’s reveal by suggesting the NCM’s 25th Anniversary Show in late August as his best guess on where and when the car will be revealed.

·
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove
5,157 Posts
The CAN bus has been around under SAE J1939 for a long time.

The latest revision was in 2013, I think.

The C7 has CAN bus, along with GMLAN and a couple of other networks.

CAN runs pretty good at 125kb/s, and I think the auto platforms are running at 250kb/s. When you start running faster than that, and have a lot more controllers on the network (hence the name - Controller Area Network), you start having problems keeping the buffers from getting too full.

I'd heard that they were having some electrical problems, but I didn't realize it was on the communications side. I thought it was the electrical load.

Steven

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
The CAN bus has been around under SAE J1939 for a long time.

The latest revision was in 2013, I think.

The C7 has CAN bus, along with GMLAN and a couple of other networks.

CAN runs pretty good at 125kb/s, and I think the auto platforms are running at 250kb/s. When you start running faster than that, and have a lot more controllers on the network (hence the name - Controller Area Network), you start having problems keeping the buffers from getting too full.

I'd heard that they were having some electrical problems, but I didn't realize it was on the communications side. I thought it was the electrical load.

Steven

I think everything Longtimer found and reported is True Steven.
Mahle has supplied Pistons for all GM LS & LT engines since 1997.
Every stock LS I have torn down from a pickup to a C5 & C6 Corvette has Mahle Pistons in it.
Tore down many while I worked in that race shop in Chicago.
Mahle makes a Good Piston.
But when it comes to high boost for 800 -1000 HP falls short what is needed for durability.
Diamond pistons, CP Carillo Products Pistons, & Manley makes a decent high boost piston too.
Top ring land has to be moved down also so it does not melt away.
Not a drag engine like Dodge....high end road Race a Corvette.
Suspect problems there....production car so you need the High Boost pistons by the thousands in stock to build the Top Dog Hero C8 Racecar.

Like Street outlaws...Top secret yet.

·
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove
5,157 Posts
I think everything Longtimer found and reported is True Steven.
I'm not denigrating anything LT had to report - but I'm surprised that an electrical issue would be centered around the CAN bus architecture.

I wish we had more details.

Steven

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Headlines today seem to demonstrate that "Fake News" is alive and well in the Automotive Journalism industry.

"GM's new Corvette is so powerful, it's warping the frame in tests, report says" USA TODAY

"MID-ENGINE CORVETTE CHASSIS REPORTEDLY CAN'T HANDLE THE POWER" Motor Trend

"C8 Corvette report: The latest delay caused by too much power" Autoweek (once a favorite of mine)

"1,000-HP C8 Corvette Prototypes Are Bending Their Own Frames" Carbuzz

All of these headlines are based on the Don Sherman statements on the 'Autoline After Hours' TV show. On that same show, as reported here on the first post in this thread, "...the frame issue was solved long ago with the help of GM’s Cray Supercomputer which analyzed the frame structure and identified the areas that needed reinforcement. GM’s plans are to use just one chassis for all C8 models so now the base “Stingray” model will have the same reinforcements as the ZORA model." Therefore, we are seeing lying sensational headlines. Wow

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,479 Posts
Headlines today seem to demonstrate that "Fake News" is alive and well in the Automotive Journalism industry.
Are you saying the the news media would purposely lie to us. Tell me it isn't so:laughing:

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I'm not denigrating anything LT had to report - but I'm surprised that an electrical issue would be centered around the CAN bus architecture.

I wish we had more details.

Steven
Fall guy for bigger issues Steven.

1000 Hp for 200k mile Durabilty is not easy.

Drag Race if it makes 20 runs its a Total success story.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
1000 Hp is actually slow now in Drag world.

2000-5000 Hp is now baseline.

1000 Hp in A Vette be ground breaking.

1000 Hp is baseline now Street.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts