Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little different image this summer for the 59.
Before and after suspension, wheels and tires:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
That really made that C1 liven up. Chromed up and the original Vette color. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
...am I missing something here? The last post mentioned chromed up and the origional color, refrering to....?

Initially I thought the change was the bare wheels and drag type tires...

best regards...Stan M.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stan,
The changes this spring visually are the wheels and tires, plus the car is a bit lower. Paint and chrome remains unchanged except that I removed for now the front bumperettes.

I can change back and forth with the whitewalls and hubcaps to suit my mood now.
Summary of the other changes:
Tires are Hoosier 26.5 x 7 Road Race TD's (not drag)
Wheels are from mid 80's Caddy. 15 x 6 with just the right bs to center up the tires. Also they have the nubs needed for the dog dish hubcaps, but I have not found a good set yet.
Springs are from Guldstrand Racing and are 550# fronts as they use on their Vintage Race cars.
Shocks are Bilsteins vith special valving done for Guldstrand, again, per their vintage specs.
Sway bars are old Addco heavy units, only front installed so far but I think I like it that way. Will experiment with rear but it drives real nice.
Has fast steering adapter changing the ratio from 20 something to 16:1.
HD brake set up from Praise Dynobrake. Have big drum finned drums and cooling scoops yet to install. Includes high vol wheel cyls, hd return springs and high coefficient shoes. It REALLY brings it down fast and straight.
Also replaced all brake lines with a stainless kit from In-Line Tubing, including their D.O.T. approved stainless braided flex lines to the wheels.

All other bushings, joints, etc... are new too.

Drives like a champ, suprises the heck out of the late model guys in the twisties now.

Thanks all for the kind words, I'g glad you like it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well...at least I'm not loosing it totally...heh heh.

Sounds like you have done your homework. How does the fast steering adapter affect the feel of the steering at slower speeds. I'm slowly building a '61 ..albeit non stock due to the zillion parts it's missing.

I would like to make the old gal drive well without doing a frame conversion , like so many of the resto mods have but I really don't see how that can happen..at least cost effectively. Stock is not possibe so the corectness of anything is a moot point. However a long time builder in Georgia has a resto mod and a stock suspended car with dics brakes and add on power steering that he says drives as well as the aftermarket c-4 conversion car. (After much effort to tweak the ride and handling I'm sure..) Daily driving conditions of course...not racing conditions.

The cost is about the same to make either one real nice so I'm still exploring the possibilities of the old frame.

Anyway good job I like the approach....we used to race on weekends...put steet tires on and drive to work Monday. (unless we broke something...)Looks good..

Stan ....

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
OOO yeah, I like it!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steering is fine at all speeds, except PARKING! which is a pain, the fast adapter and sticky tires add up, but the gain in response and that it probably is helping to take up some of the slop inherent to the old gearbox design makes the item a must do in my opinion.

Nothing I've done can't be easilly returned to stock some day if needed, and I really wanted to do this in the spirit of 59, no discs, no rack and pinion, etc... That of course would be an easy way to go, as would a 406 CI small block, but I still have the 283 block with some cam and compression so it all looks stock. Thinking about turning it into a 377 matching numbers sleeper, but that is another project.

I figured if the racers of the day could race these things at Sebring in 1959 with this technology and drum brakes, I can make one do well on the street and club lapping days.

Good luck with your 61, we'd like to see pics!

Here is a shot of the assembled subframe with the adapter in the linkage.

And another shot all finished:

Some of the guys we run with:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the undown on the quick steer ...I always wondered just how well that worked. I believe the old suspensions, in top form, are a lot better than the "log wagon" ride so many refer too. How much better I don't really know....but according to the old builder I mentioned, a lot better when done right.

The important thing is that you have it where it is enjoyable and fun to drive.....and get too when you like. Having the option to go back to stock is always a good thing on a car that was in good shape to begin with. I wish I had that option with my basket heap ..but it can only be a nice nonstock ..

Happy trails and thanks for sharing ..

Best regards...Stan M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
SMS,

Can you post more photos of your Vette with the Hoosiers on? (Or post the higher resolution version of those thumbnails)

Just seeing those thumbnails makes me want to keep my 58!!

THANKS!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SMS,

Can you post more photos of your Vette with the Hoosiers on? (Or post the higher resolution version of those thumbnails)

Just seeing those thumbnails makes me want to keep my 58!!

THANKS!
Here's a few for you showing the car at play. Hope these give you a sence of how it looks and performs. Note the Hoosiers really are bad street tires, they flay spot in a matter of hours, the rain traction would be as if on ice, but when they are hot and round, it really is a ball to drive right now!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts