Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 C5. ABS, traction control and active handeling light was staying on. And it really means ABS isn't working. Code C1243 is a stalled ABS pump motor (read as ..."frozen"). There is a green wire easily visable on top of the ABS pump that powers the pump. I stuck a test light in the insulation and injected 12 volts from the car battery into it. THE PUMP STARTED. The test wire got hot in 2 seconds, so I rested it for about 5 seconds. Then another 3 second injection of 12 volts, then rested. I did this until I got 8 to 10 seconds to the pump with out the test wire getting hot. THE COMPUTER CODE IS GONE AND LIGHTS ARE OUT. Be sure to keep the point of the test light in the insulation and just tap the other end of the test wire on the battery so you don't put more than one tiny hole in the green wire insulation. That is my fix.
For those of you that don't have this problem...DRIVE FASTER, BREAK HARDER and your ABS pump won't freeze up from lack of use.
PS. Be sure to use a fused wire!

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Congratulations on the quick fix. ABS repairs can be quite expensive!

·
Registered
21 Posts
sweet

that's awesome! My 2000 coupe does the same thing with that same 1243 code! I'm gonna try this one asap. Thanks for the instructional.

Sully

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 2000 C5 and I have the same issue. The ABS and traction contol light come on whenever ABS or traction control is activated. Sometimes the light goes off in a day or two, sometime it doesn't and I have to reset it.

I followed the instructions, I got power to the green wire (looks like a rod on top of hte pump, right?) using a test light. But nothing happened, it didn't come ON. I even tried tapping the pump while applying power but still nothing.

Am I doing something wrong? any suggestions? the dealer tells me the part is $2300!! That's crazy!

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
You may need to pay a visit to ABSFixer.com. Go to his website and start reading.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may need to pay a visit to ABSFixer.com. Go to his website and start reading.

I did , they couldn't help.

But I figured out the problem. The test light I was using was a high impedence test light. I used a fused lead instead to get power to the pump. That worked.

I used a 30a fuse. it blew three of them until it stopped blowing them anymore.

Now it's fixed. Thanks for teh suggestion, this was awsome!!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Let me see if I understand. The problem was a fuse that kept blowing so you replaced it with a bigger one?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Let me see if I understand. The problem was a fuse that kept blowing so you replaced it with a bigger one?
AJ, I don't think that's what he said...

He used a separate fused lead wire to kick start the pump and it kept blowing the 30a fuse until it loosened up enough to run without the high current draw.
Not like sticking a higher amp fuse in a normal circuit, that would be crazy...

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
AJ, I don't think that's what he said...

He used a separate fused lead wire to kick start the pump and it kept blowing the 30a fuse until it loosened up enough to run without the high current draw.
Not like sticking a higher amp fuse in a normal circuit, that would be crazy...
My thoughts exactly! Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. Looking forward to ATL this year!

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Thanks for the info gang.:thumbsup: My dash glows bright yellow for a year and a half now, and am getting tired of looking at it. I suppose it is time to go pull some codes. Every time that I start my 2001 I get a service ACTIVE HANDLING, ABS, and TRACTION CONTROL across the DIC. I found ABSFIXR.COM and getting EBCTM module rebuilt wasn't as much of a shock that I thought it was, $150. I suppose that I need to make sure that is my only problem before I have it done. Just trying to find out where to start before I get into it and become depressed, or even worse, LOST!:thud: Oh, Yo AJ! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Holy crap Mark, you haven't posted sine the Funky Bunch was your posse! :laughing:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Holy crap Mark, you haven't posted sine the Funky Bunch was your posse! :laughing:
Ya, I know AJ.:smack They all turned out to be a bunch of losers anyhow:crazy:

Now, just where is that green wire located? Just for future reference. Is the unit that I am looking for the one under my upper radiator hose?

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I have a 2000 C5. ABS, traction control and active handeling light was staying on. And it really means ABS isn't working. Code C1243 is a stalled ABS pump motor (read as ..."frozen"). There is a green wire easily visable on top of the ABS pump that powers the pump. I stuck a test light in the insulation and injected 12 volts from the car battery into it. THE PUMP STARTED. The test wire got hot in 2 seconds, so I rested it for about 5 seconds. Then another 3 second injection of 12 volts, then rested. I did this until I got 8 to 10 seconds to the pump with out the test wire getting hot. THE COMPUTER CODE IS GONE AND LIGHTS ARE OUT. Be sure to keep the point of the test light in the insulation and just tap the other end of the test wire on the battery so you don't put more than one tiny hole in the green wire insulation. That is my fix.
For those of you that don't have this problem...DRIVE FASTER, BREAK HARDER and your ABS pump won't freeze up from lack of use.
PS. Be sure to use a fused wire!
THAT green wire

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I have no clue. If I had an ABS problem, I would call ABSFixer and follow the advice that he would give me. Or, you can try and fix it yourself by following this thread. I have yet to have an ABS issue so the only thing that I have done with mine is removed and replaced it when I did my head gaskets. That experience was well documented in my year+ long thread about "another night in my garage."

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I have no clue. If I had an ABS problem, I would call ABSFixer and follow the advice that he would give me. Or, you can try and fix it yourself by following this thread. I have yet to have an ABS issue so the only thing that I have done with mine is removed and replaced it when I did my head gaskets. That experience was well documented in my year+ long thread about "another night in my garage."
:thumbsup::thumbsup:Thank You as always AJ! :cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 99 vert and the wire running on top of the module is black, which assume is the ground. I have the same problem with the 1243 code.

·
Registered
579 Posts
There is some great advice.
I tend to baby my cars.
I never thought by not utilizing/engaging some of the safety systems, could cause them to have issues.

Thank you so much! :) (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found the green wire, how do I fuse a lead wire from the battery to the green wire. I'm not very good at electronics, but what would happen if anything if i run a wire from the positive on the battery and directly to the green wire?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had called ABS fixer, and talked to Brandon, and he said there was nothing he could do for my 99, but he did say there are two wires between the the module and the pump. He said in most cases if you can separate the two usually one of the two wires are broken or in bad shape. Really don't know if i want to go that route, but the adding power to the green wire to the pump sounds a hell of a lot easier if it works. But not knowing a lot about electrical wiring, how do you fuse a length of wire Like ymash13 did?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts