Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Oh man i hope you guys can help me out!!

What exactly does this error mean?

So i have this weird sound when the engine is started, i searched for days on the internet because well explaining the noice is not easy until i found this information:

This is from Jake Latham's site:

9.14) There is a whining noise coming from behind me in my '97-98 car. What is it?
On '97 and early '98 C5's, the fuel pump was particularly noisy, so this is probably what the sound is. You may notice that it gets worse when the car is cold, hot from a long drive, or when the tank is getting low on fuel. As well, you'll probably hear the whine alternate in pitch when your turn signal is on, as voltage to the pump changes slightly.

In mid '98 (I believe) the pump was redesigned to be a bit quieter, although they still do make some noise.

The noise is not necessarily an indication of malfunction, although you can have it replaced if you wish. However, it is not a cheap replacement, so you might consider upgrading to a Racetronix pump (or similar) instead, to support any future modification plans you may have.

This explains exactly what it is, is it related to the error code?

Are there other members who have had this problem, i explained it on the phone and they want to change the fuel pump is it necessary is going to die soon?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
The error code is for the RTD Real Time Damping and is for left
rear and not a fuel pump.
C1762 LR Position Sensor(Out of range) could be wiring or connector for that shock or the shock itself bad

Any errors related to engine would start with a "P" for powertrain

Maybe whine is also another different issue or it could be on 97/98 the ETBCM (controller) is in the rear where in 99 it was moved to front of engine bay and maybe due to the C1762 is causing the ETBCM to kicking in/out for the left rear issue.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The error code is for the RTD Real Time Damping and is for left
rear and not a fuel pump.
C1762 LR Position Sensor(Out of range) could be wiring or connector for that shock or the shock itself bad

Any errors related to engine would start with a "P" for powertrain

Maybe whine is also another different issue or it could be on 97/98 the ETBCM (controller) is in the rear where in 99 it was moved to front of engine bay and maybe due to the C1762 is causing the ETBCM to kicking in/out for the left rear issue.
Thanks for your reply, but i can't follow (english is not my native language)

So C1762 has nothing to do with the fuel pump - check

The rest i can't really follow.

So there could be a problem with my suspension?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks for your reply, but i can't follow (english is not my native language)

So C1762 has nothing to do with the fuel pump - check

The rest i can't really follow.

So there could be a problem with my suspension?
Yes the error code is NOT about fuel pump
it is for a left rear wheel issue, check the shock, wiring and controller for it.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the error code is NOT about fuel pump
it is for a left rear wheel issue, check the shock, wiring and controller for it.

Thank i will do that tomorrow then i'll get back to you :)

Any idea where it is? I'm no here in finding sensors :spanked:

Now back to the fuel pump problem should they replace it other sites say the sound is "normal".

·
Registered
606 Posts
You really do not know what the sound is coming from

If the fuel pressure at the fuel rail stays around 58 PSI then it is not a pump problem

Sound could be from rear end, trannie even the ETBCM so you need to pinpoint the sound source

As to the error code check the left rear shock, the wiring to it or the wiring connector or dirty pins of it.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The wine you hear is not necessarily a sign of any problem with your fuel pump. Mine sings like a choir boy. I just ignore it because the only time I hear it is when I pay attention to it.

If your fuel pressure is correct, leave it alone. Never go replacing parts on a guess. Always have technical data to warrant any repairs you do. These car practically tell you what's wrong with them. Use that data to your advantage.

Update your profile to include the year of your car.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back from the garage they said the same, the noise is there but there are no problems whatsoever.

So thank god for that, the sensor however has gone bad.

They think it's because i lowered my car and somehow the sensor moved.

New oil, filters, etc...

i'm all set

Thanks again for the replies!!

digitalcorvettes.com2win

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Don't forget to edit your profile to include your vehicle year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts