Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally it has begun. the body has already been media blasted. at some point it will get gel coated. my goal for today is to get the body off the rotisserie and get it as close to mated as i can. before we do anything the sand needs to be cleaned out of the body...

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the rolling chassis from speed shops is just an incredible piece. it would be hard to not build awesomeness with this rolling chassis. everything on this. the owner of this build has gone all out and spared no expense. look at these brakes and wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5 years ago when i started my job here i though i was the man because twice in my career i changed a frame on a vehicle. once on an early 2000's jeep wrangler and once on a 2006 ford explorer. :laughing: it is so common place now for me to take a car and strip it to its very last nuts and bolts and build the whole car. we just separate and mate a lot of body and frames is all i am saying. and i have made this tool for safety. please look at my simple tool i made to grab under the lip of the body so the body will not shift or fall off the rack going up or down. these plates bolt right to the rack arm. i made them out of cheap soft aluminum...

on to mating the body. we roll the chassis under the body...

i have found fishing line and some 7/16 nuts make for some real nice plumb bobs. i tie 1 to each of 4 body mounts to help me center and locate the chassis before i lower the body...

And that's as far as we can go. we need to remove the rear pockets behind the seats and we need to create mini tubs or something because the rear tires just are not gonna clear...

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Awesome stuff. Do you jump out of bed every morning excited to go to work?

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, you know, i don't open both eyes until my second cup of coffee. but after that , yes i am very much excited everyday to goto work. :D life is too short for anything less.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the owner wants the body close to stock on the outside. he doesn't care for the autocross look of fender flares. and these are some wide meats. as for the sidepipes: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242873 the owner agrees with this discussion. and he did before this discussion was had. i was just outside of that loop. i would still like to at least hear how they sound myself, but it would be terrible to build something that sounds like crap.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got the body mated to the frame for the first of what will probably be many times. cut out what I had to from the rear. tomorrow I will build the new floor...

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what in all the world could be better than an LS7 powered c2? Why a boosted LS7 powered c2 of course. At some point here I will bolt the heartbeat supercharger down to this beast of a motor.

·
Registered
128 Posts
got the body mated to the frame for the first of what will probably be many times. cut out what I had to from the rear. tomorrow I will build the new floor...

First time I've seen body mounted over chassis with C6 or C7 suspension and 13.66 wide tires without having to use min of 1.5 in flared 1/4 panels.

Hard to figure out how, but best I can tell owner ordered max width rim size that tires can be mounted on so side wall of tire only sticks out pass edge of rim very little, with wheel center face of hub moved outward to point wheel center face is just outside of edge of rim and then uses con-vexed spokes to move tires and wheels back inside body.

Can't go with more negative wheel offset an stay inside body, he had to go with more positive offset to do that and tub inner wheel well even more than us who flare 1/4's to accommodate late model Vette wheels and tires yet still have to tub inner wheel wells too.

While it may give the car a Pro Street build look vs a Pro Touring wider wheel track look, car want have a ton of exposed tire showing on front or rear sides of wheel well. That is a positive over having a lot of exposed tire sticking out.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
made the center section of the floor today and attached it the fiberglass with rivets and 3m 8115 panel bond adhesive. though there are no pics of the front attached, I put 3 small 3 or 4 inch long beads of weld, 4 rivets, and panel bond adhesive. I will post pics of that tomorrow. I do not have an English wheel or even a break, so it will be tricky making these mini tubs.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Thanks for sharing - very impressive.

I just made a wooden version of your lift brackets because I had to extend them with metal clips to get her 69 off and on. My lift won't let me grab that way (distance across and forward) so the extensions allow it to work...but I have to have the wheels off the car. Compromises.

You do top notch stuff. I'm very much impressed and inspired.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i finished the floors. it is a pain working on raw fiberglass. i am done with the floors for now. next i will see them is after gel coating bodywork and paint and what not. then i will line it with dynamat and carpet back there. the angles i made will be more friendly for forming carpet than some of the sharp curved 90 degree bends that carpet needs to make for traditional tubs.

and i took this pic from underneath to show how i attached the pieces i made and how i use a washer on the backside of every rivet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts